PDA

View Full Version : Wood Plane

dave10990
12-03-2012, 06:55 AM
I want to purchase a plane that would allow me to plane the edge of a plank that is against a frame. I had thought about a Lee Valley bullnose plane that converts to a chisel plane, but I am concerned that the nose is too short to make it an effective tool for what I would like to do. Would a shoulder plane be appropriate? This would be my first specialty plane, and I do enjoy fine tools. My favorite plane is my Lie Nielsen low angle block plane, that I thought about for two years before I purchased, and never regreted buying quality. I am now thinking about either Lee Valley, or Lie Nielsen medium shoulder plane. I would be using it for wood 1/2" or less.

Peerie Maa
12-03-2012, 10:11 AM
I want to purchase a plane that would allow me to plane the edge of a plank that is against a frame. I had thought about a Lee Valley bullnose plane that converts to a chisel plane, but I am concerned that the nose is too short to make it an effective tool for what I would like to do. Would a shoulder plane be appropriate? This would be my first specialty plane, and I do enjoy fine tools. My favorite plane is my Lie Nielsen low angle block plane, that I thought about for two years before I purchased, and never regreted buying quality. I am now thinking about either Lee Valley, or Lie Nielsen medium shoulder plane. I would be using it for wood 1/2" or less.

A shoulder plane is a precision rebate plane, it will work if the frame is convex or straight. A rebate plane with a removable fence may be a more versatile purchase.

LyleRussell
01-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Lie-Neilsen makes a small block rabbet plane that might do the trick? I have one and it's very nice tool. It's low angle though.

SMARTINSEN
01-12-2013, 12:30 PM
The Veritas/Lee Valley small rabbet plane is similar to the Stanley 90. The noses on the Stanley 92, 93 and 94 are longer if that is what you are looking for. On eBay for a hundred bucks or so.

Or you could make your own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNaAgB5aEs

With some thought I am sure that this idea could be adapted to plane alongside a concavity.