PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting

Phillip Allen
12-02-2012, 10:18 PM
I’m not a very good hunter which I have said before. I did, however, sit on a stump and enjoy the evening approach today, the last day of the regular season. I picked up a twig and whittled on it and just watched the squirrels and little birds for an hour or so… Sarah seems to have gotten her wish and had the deer thinned out quite a bit.

Just the same… driving home I had a very close call with a heavy deer and my truck… is there an irony there? :)

The Bigfella
12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
No.

Phillip Allen
12-02-2012, 10:50 PM
the truck is make largly of iron... thus, if I had hit it, it would have had irony in it

Gerarddm
12-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Actually LOL Phillip.

I have seen too many photos of some serious vehicle-deer crashes to snicker too much though... Not to mention the heart stopping YouTube video of a deer leaping OVER some poor motorcyclist and he and some buddies were trundling along some backwoods road...

BrianW
12-03-2012, 07:25 AM
No irony, you missed it with your truck. So the outcome is the same... no deer for Phillip.

Had you actually hit the deer with your truck, then it would be ironic.

Phillip Allen
12-03-2012, 07:40 AM
No irony, you missed it with your truck. So the outcome is the same... no deer for Phillip.

Had you actually hit the deer with your truck, then it would be ironic.

it was sorta sandwiched between me and a car I was meeting, lights on dim and I couldn't see if it was a buck or doe but I did see that it was pretty heavy in the body and sorta doing a quick step instead of the usual bounding... both of us slowed or one would surely have hit it and maybe both of us

I guess I would have had to share the road-kill... man, I always get the beat-up parts! :(

Rich Jones
12-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Never been deer hunting, but both my wife and I have bagged a deer with our cars. My wife cried for the deer, I cried for the damage to the cars.

Speaking of irony..... In New Hampshire, a hunter shot a deer this season and had to finish it off with a knife. While attempting to do so, the eight point buck lunged and gored the guy in the gut. Luckily, he lived. While he was in the hospital, his bother and some friends dragged the deer out of the woods. That'll be a family story for a long time!

BrianW
12-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Well, I'm glad ya missed it, or it missed you. No need to have car damage just for some venison. It's good you were just out there, enjoying nature.

Plumbtex
12-03-2012, 11:18 AM
While taking my Mom for a sail on Canyon Lake near San Antonio last week we came across a small doe desperately swimming in the middle of the lake about 1/4 mile from shore. We sailed over to it attempt a rescue. At first it swam toward us but spooked and turned away just out of reach. (I had to explain to Mom that, no I didn't think it would help to throw it a cushion to grab onto and no I didn't think it was a good idea for her to jump in to help it ). We came back around but the deer had given up and let it's head drop below the waves. We got aloop around it's neck and got it to shore but were unable to revive it. (A lee shore but the only soft shore in sight)
Cathy and Mom were both a little upset by the whole thing so I didn't dare bring up the possibility of venison.

Joe (SoCal)
12-03-2012, 11:32 AM
I hate the taste of Venison. :(
That said every night when I drive up my driveway there is a HERD of freaking deer walking across.
I guess they know I dont NEED a gun :D