PDA

View Full Version : red lobster

Paul Pless
11-30-2012, 07:19 AM
one of yesterday's lottery winner's immediate plans. . .
His immediate plans for the money include helping out his mom, starting a college fund for his daughter and taking his girlfriend to Red Lobster

botebum
11-30-2012, 08:19 AM
"I'm gonna git me a double-wide!"

Doug

Caede
11-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Even with hundreds of millions in cash, it's hard to argue with all you can eat crab legs...

(I would be crucified here in MA if anyone I know heard me speak well of Red Lobster, but c'mon! All you can eat!)

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

L.W. Baxter
11-30-2012, 09:02 AM
The steak oscar is pretty good.

Shang
11-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Evidently they haven't yet identified the winner who is from Missouri.

...But I am sure that when my good friend makes his identity known he will also mention our deep and abiding attachment and he will find a way to express his gratitude for the many personal loans I made to him back in the days when he was poor.

Actually we are more than friends...there are solid family ties as well !
I mean, hell, what's money between brothers !

George Jung
11-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Unfortunately, all those scenarios are spot-on!

bamamick
11-30-2012, 02:13 PM

As long as he continues on with this attitude he should be o.k..

My wife and I have bought lottery tickets for as long as they have had the Florida lotto. It is a favorite game of ours to discuss what we would do with the money should we ever win. I honestly believe that winning a couple hundred thousand dollars or even a million would be just fine, but I really believe that handing someone tens or even hudreds of millions of dollars who does not have the backround of dealing with it is doing that person a real dis-service. I mean, NO ONE needs to be that kind of rich. No one. And a lot of people most definitely don't even need much more disposable income than what they already have.

My list is quite simple. Pay off the kid's student loans. Do a little work to my truck. Go boat shopping. With $100K I could be set, and that's fulfilling most all of my dreams. What the heck could I even do with 200 million dollars?

Mickey Lake

Figment
11-30-2012, 02:22 PM
I see fleets of dragons. Everywhere.

bamamick
11-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Well, the temptation would be great, but honestly I believe my wife would expect a lot of my time, not a good thing if you expect to be sailing big events.

Mickey Lake

Figment
11-30-2012, 03:04 PM
eh? No I was thinking you'd buy us all dragons to sail so that you could kick back with the satisfaction of having improved the beauty of the world while the wife gets a lot of your time.

George Jung
11-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Excellent idea, Figment; and think aboot it - you'd be a Humanitarian - you and ol' Glen!

bamamick
11-30-2012, 03:54 PM
I tell what would be cool: do buy a fleet of something, and then let the members of the WBF sail them. Maine, Puget Sound and/or Vancouver, Flathead Lake (never been there, but heard it's beautiful). We could have invitational regattas amongst ourselves and our friends.

Ya see, this is how it starts. :)

Mickey Lake

Fitz
11-30-2012, 03:58 PM
I don't have very good luck. This time I bought two numbers for $4. I ended up winning $4. Probably the first time I have ever won something. But now I am even. Maybe I should quit while I'm "ahead".

Bob Cleek
11-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Red Lobster? Good grief, with that kind of money he could at least spring for Olive Garden!

The new Red Lobster down at the local mall here lasted about a year before they threw in the towel. Better known to the locals as "The House of Fish Sticks."

Phillip Allen
11-30-2012, 05:25 PM
it'll all change with a little time... pretty soon he'll be talking like an effete bilge rat

Jim Bow
11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Sir, you just won $178,000,000, are you going to Disneyland?
Nope. I'm taking the kids to Newfoundland.

Garret
11-30-2012, 05:52 PM
My lobbies last night were red, but they were fresh from ME (well 6 hrs. from dockside car to the pot) & eaten @ home.

Yum!

B_B
11-30-2012, 07:28 PM
My lobbies last night were red, but they were fresh from ME (well 6 hrs. from dockside car to the pot) & eaten @ home.

Yum!
Ha! Ours too, but not from ME, and not so fresh. Though they were alive when I chucked 'em in the pot...

Hwyl
11-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Warren Buffet (net worth more than a 1000 times more than the powerball winner) eats at MacDonalds, there was an interview on NPR, he and I might have had the same lunch today.

Phillip Allen
11-30-2012, 07:37 PM
when I crewed on one boat, I fed everyone by diving for blobsters... but I never learned to like em... I don't think sea food is all it's bragged up to be

Bob Cleek
11-30-2012, 07:40 PM
when I crewed on one boat, I fed everyone by diving for blobsters... but I never learned to like em... I don't think sea food is all it's bragged up to be

Well, if you are in Arkansas, just make believe they're big crawdads and do your best to choke 'em down so nobody's offended! (Actually, I'd rather eat a fresh Dungeness crab instead of a lobster, but my East Coast wife thinks I'm crazy on that score.)

Phillip Allen
11-30-2012, 07:45 PM
with all that money, my favorite food is still meat and potatos... it's hard to beat good ole brown beans or black eyed peas... I'd pass up a fancy stake for Mom's fried chicken... I've gotten tired of hearing people brag on sea food while watching for effect out of the corner of their eye

Waddie
11-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Lobster looks like a big cockroach to me. I wouldn't eat one if it crawled out from behind the refrigerator. But then again, I don't like snails either.... :)

Now, road kill Possum.... there's some good eatin'..... :)

regards,
Waddie

Garret
11-30-2012, 07:52 PM
with all that money, my favorite food is still meat and potatos... it's hard to beat good ole brown beans or black eyed peas... I'd pass up a fancy stake for Mom's fried chicken... I've gotten tired of hearing people brag on sea food while watching for effect out of the corner of their eye

Well - I got the effect I wanted. As I wrote the post, I was thinking (while looking out of the corner of my eye) "If I write this post, I want to make sure Phillip ain't impressed".

Hate to say this - but I could care less if anyone's impressed. I enjoyed the heck out of those lobsters & will enjoy the chicken tonight just about as much.

hokiefan
I'd prefer shrimp and blue crabs any day to steak, and I like a good steak. I do like the crab alfredo over pasta at Red Lobster, and their cheese biscuits are good as well.

Cheers,

Bobby

Phillip Allen
depends on how badly it is smashed and dried out

Glen Longino

I do hope this is an example of your hillbilly humor and not serious!
I do admit I'd like to watch you eat a "stake"!;)

Garret
11-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Lobster looks like a big cockroach to me. I wouldn't eat one if it crawled out from behind the refrigerator. But then again, I don't like snails either.... :)

regards,
Waddie

Possum's too greasy - but a lobster's closest land-based relative actually is the cockroach.

Phillip Allen
11-30-2012, 07:54 PM

regards,
Waddie

depends on how badly it's smashed and dried out

Phillip Allen
11-30-2012, 07:55 PM
I do hope this is an example of your hillbilly humor and not serious!
I do admit I'd like to watch you eat a "stake"!;)

it really depends on how over cooked and what shape it is, steak, that is

and it's the truth about sea food... I don't like it in general... everything is good, though, if I'm hungry enough

George Jung
11-30-2012, 07:58 PM
When diving at Cozumel, we caught some 'Cozumel cockroaches' - apparently only place in the world they're found. Considered very similar, and better texture/taste, than lobster. They're more appetizing on the dish than in their natural habitat.

Gotta laugh at the arguing - in my book, they're all good. Kinda like the billboard in SD, addressed to PETA - 'In SD, we love all of Gods' critters.... right next to the mashed potatoes and peas'

Phillip Allen
11-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I've eaten:
lobster
crab
various salt and fresh water fish
conch
gator (tastes fishy to me)

none of it's good enough to go out of my way to get... mashed potatoes, whole kernel corn, chicken and beans are the best eatin for me… real comfort food

Waddie
11-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Possum's too greasy - but a lobster's closest land-based relative actually is the cockroach.

I knew it !!!!!

regards,
Waddie

L.W. Baxter
11-30-2012, 08:40 PM
(Actually, I'd rather eat a fresh Dungeness crab instead of a lobster, but my East Coast wife thinks I'm crazy on that score.)

Most sensible thing you've said in a while.

I've polished off about 15 dungies since Sunday evening. I'm officially crabbed out.

Phillip Allen
11-30-2012, 09:06 PM

"His immediate plans for the money include helping out his mom, starting a college fund for his daughter and taking his girlfriend to Red Lobster"

something else that occurs... to you sensitivity trained liberals (I'm including Paul)... they may be people for which a Red Lobster dinner is what their personal imaginations take them to as an example of high living... you should remember there are many people for whom a big mac meal is their once a month evening blow-out. they may even get dressed up for it... these sorts of people don't get the wages most here get... looking down our noses at their 'tastes' is very Helmsleyesque by way of looking down on what we might consider lower class people

cut em some slack

George Jung
11-30-2012, 09:10 PM
You seem irritable, Phillip; what's up?

I think the vast majority here recognize exactly what lifestyle this guy was used to; what a 'big night out' amounted to; and the joke is - he can now afford so much more, quite beyond his usual means. No digs intended. No looking down the nose. I also think many here probably have similar options (the 'before' options) but may be aware of what else is 'out there'.

bamamick
11-30-2012, 09:11 PM
I grew up eating seafood that my family caught in Mobile Bay or the Gulf, have eaten it all of my life, and would eat it every night of the year if possible. I have never gotten tired of it, and I don't know if I ever will. Of course, growing up it was all fried, or in the case of fish, broiled. Now we have grilled and blackened, and that's opened up a whole new world of possibilities.

When Brenda and I visit Maine on vacation she dives into the lobster with both hands, but I am not a big lobster person. I much prefer a good fish and chips. I spent about 10 days in the BVI's as a teenager eating lobster twice a day, and for some reason I sort of got too much of it and have never really cared for it since.

Getting back to the guy with the major prize money, sure, he will most likely be a different person this time next year, but for now, I hope he and his girl really enjoy the night out. Who knows? He may even order an extra dessert!

Mickey Lake

McMike
11-30-2012, 09:14 PM
His immediate plans for the money include helping out his mom, starting a college fund for his daughter and taking his girlfriend to Red Lobster

something else that occurs... to you sensitivity trained liberals (I'm including Paul)... they may be people for which a Red Lobster dinner is what their personal imaginations take them to as an example of high living... you should remember there are many people for whom a big mac meal is their once a month evening blow-out. they may even get dressed up for it... these sorts of people don't get the wages most here get... looking down our noses at their 'tastes' is very Helmsleyesque by way of looking down on what we might consider lower class people

cut em some slack

I agree but I think that is in fact the underlying point, not to belittle but to celebrate that this simple guy's highest expectations is Red Lobster and he was blessed with the ability to do so much more. We should all be so lucky. I wish him luck with his new found wealth and hope he never forgets his humble lottery fantasy.

B_B
11-30-2012, 09:15 PM
.... I also think many here probably have similar options (the 'before' options) but may be aware of what else is 'out there'.
I think, fundamentally, this is the issue. It's awareness, or a lack thereof. I've eaten at Red Lobster. I've enjoyed myself there (though, as with any meal, it's the company that makes it or breaks it).

But to imagine Red Lobster, or MacDonald's, as the epitome of anything good is a bit of a stretch...

Phillip Allen
11-30-2012, 09:16 PM
I agree but I think that is in fact the underlying point, not to belittle but to celebrate that this simple guy's highest expectations is Red Lobster and he was blessed with the ability to do so much more. We should all be so lucky. I wish him luck with his new found wealth and hope he never forgets his humble lottery fantasy.

Okay, okay... you and doc are probably right

bamamick
11-30-2012, 09:19 PM

cut em some slack

When I coached high school baseball I worked at an inner-city school in Mobile in a pretty poor neighborhood. Two of my guys were selected to play in an All-Star game in Jackson, Alabama, about an hour north of Mobile in paper-mill country. I drove them up to the game, where there were a bunch of college scouts present to watch, and hopefully to make our guys an offer, if for nothing else than to get a shot in junior college baseball. Anyway, driving up I stopped at a Hardees and got them some biscuits, and on the way home (they both did fairly well. One did get an offer to play at a small school in Birmingham, but he chose to enter the army instead) we stopped at McDonald's or somewhere like that. Might have been Dairy Queen. Anyway, I paid for all of this, and these kids were absolutely in hog heaven! When I got home I told my wife about the day and she just said 'well, I mean, how many fast food restaurants are there in that part of town? How many chances have they ever had to order anything they wanted and eat it?'. The answer was 'none', and most probably, 'never'. Period. What for me was a second thought and no big deal at all, was a huge treat for these guys, and these were high school seniors, not five year olds.

So your point is very valid, Phillip (as you knew it was, obviously).

Mickey Lake

Phillip Allen
11-30-2012, 09:22 PM
I think, fundamentally, this is the issue. It's awareness, or a lack thereof. I've eaten at Red Lobster. I've enjoyed myself there (though, as with any meal, it's the company that makes it or breaks it).

But to imagine Red Lobster, or MacDonald's, as the epitome of anything good is a bit of a stretch...

I really DO know some really poor people and have all my life. I like people, given the chance, and try to take them on a face-value level. I've 'broken bread' with the very poor and the very rich and there's room for both sorts on this earth

when our first child was still less than a year old, I remember taking a table knife and working sixteen cents out of 'her' piggy bank to walk down to ... someplace I can't remember... to buy a small fountain drink for my wife and myself to share... it was a blow-out for us at the time

Bob Cleek
11-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Most sensible thing you've said in a while.

I've polished off about 15 dungies since Sunday evening. I'm officially crabbed out.

A do-it-yourself all-you-can-eat crab feed! Nothing better than fresh dungie crab. (Reminds me of when I was a kid and there was this blind guy who walked past the steaming crab pots at Fisherman's Wharf in SF every morning, tapping his white cane. When he got to the crab pots, which were out on the sidewalk, he'd always tip his hat and say, "Morning, ladies.")

When back East, I've eaten a fair bit of New England "lobstah" fresh out of the steamer. It's good, no doubt about it, but not as good as dungie crab. Not even close. The same goes for soft-shell blue crab. The wife and I really argue over that one. I'd put a good blue over the lobster, but not over the dungie.

B_B
11-30-2012, 10:13 PM
...when our first child was still less than a year old, I remember taking a table knife and working sixteen cents out of 'her' piggy bank to walk down to ... someplace I can't remember... to buy a small fountain drink for my wife and myself to share... it was a blow-out for us at the time
When I was at university I ran out of money and ate little more than red beans, rice, and the ketchup and soy sauce packets I found in the drawer from previous tenants, and popcorn (same source) for over a month.

I know what you're saying.

But at the same time, should I have won 178 million bucks I wouldn't have dreamed of Red Lobster.

re, the OP; it's not humility, it's a lack of experience, a lack of awareness.

Hwyl
11-30-2012, 10:35 PM
"His immediate plans for the money include helping out his mom, starting a college fund for his daughter and taking his girlfriend to Red Lobster"

cut em some slack

Maybe your best post ever and I'm speaking as a
sensitivity trained liberals,

I guess no one chose to read my post about Warren Buffet enjoying McDonalds. I listened to him again and figured out whilst doing it, that the Microsoft stock I sold on Black Monday would now be worth $13 million, oh well.

Phil Y
11-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Maybe he's crass and ignorant and its a shame he now has megabucks. But I like to think he knows and likes red lobster, doesn't feel a need to buy a porsche and go to a flash restaurant-where he probably won't be all that comfortable anyway, and maybe he's going to stay with his home made wooden sail boat and not go out and buy a 130' gin palace with a helipad and a party spa.

Phillip Allen
11-30-2012, 10:39 PM
When I was at university I ran out of money and ate little more than red beans, rice, and the ketchup and soy sauce packets I found in the drawer from previous tenants, and popcorn (same source) for over a month.

I know what you're saying.

But at the same time, should I have won 178 million bucks I wouldn't have dreamed of Red Lobster.

re, the OP; it's not humility, it's a lack of experience, a lack of awareness.

well, may their awareness imporve in a positive way...

David G
11-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Well, if you are in Arkansas, just make believe they're big crawdads and do your best to choke 'em down so nobody's offended! (Actually, I'd rather eat a fresh Dungeness crab instead of a lobster, but my East Coast wife thinks I'm crazy on that score.)

I lived in New Hampshire for several years. Bought a few lobster. Had more given to us. I like 'em. But they don't come close to Dungeness Crab. I'd really like to get down to the Chesapeake someday and sample the crabs from that neck of the woods... see how they compare.

Phillip Allen
11-30-2012, 10:45 PM
I always fear a bit for such 'winners'

years ago my wife had a young, plump girl who worked for her at a 7-11 win a prize of money from Publisher's Clearing house. She got to keep 16K back in the early 70's and that was quite a bit of money for someone who had likely never had a 50 dollar bill of her own... by the passing of one year, she owed more money than she could ever pay back... her relatives had swarmed over her good fortune and picked her to the financial bone with their get-rich plans which only needed her to make down payments... it was a pitiful thing to witness

B_B
11-30-2012, 10:46 PM
...I guess no one chose to read my post about Warren Buffet enjoying McDonalds. I listened to him again and figured out whilst doing it, that the Microsoft stock I sold on Black Monday would now be worth $13 million, oh well.
He prefers Piccolos: "Like many of Buffett's favorite things, Piccolo's is family-owned and operated. Prime rib is their speciality [sic], but not always what the Oracle eats."

Sorry about Black Monday....

Glen Longino
11-30-2012, 11:29 PM
I always fear a bit for such 'winners'

years ago my wife had a young, plump girl who worked for her at a 7-11 win a prize of money from Publisher's Clearing house. She got to keep 16K back in the early 70's and that was quite a bit of money for someone who had likely never had a 50 dollar bill of her own... by the passing of one year, she owed more money than she could ever pay back... her relatives had swarmed over her good fortune and picked her to the financial bone with their get-rich plans which only needed her to make down payments... it was a pitiful thing to witness

Yep, everything has its down side and we can Always count on you to find it and point it out to us in all your wisdom.
Eat them grits and sausage and beans till your teeth fall out and count your blessings.

pipefitter
12-01-2012, 12:42 AM
I probably grew up like many here are implying the winner did. Red Lobster is used as a joke among us here. Actually, we think it's funny that someone would call going out to eat seafood at all, high living. I took it as sarcasm.

Funny thing about lobster here. Every year, people haul ass down to the keys to go catch lobster. After they were all gone, we used to snorkel this certain rock ledge in the Gulf between Venice and Ft. Myers and catch all that we wanted. I think we had it figured to cost us around 3 cents/pound with a round trip of about 8 miles, 1 if we just crossed the bay and walked across to the Gulf.

Personally, I like fresh stone crab claws better than lobster, or flounder stuffed with same.

Lew Barrett
12-01-2012, 01:01 AM
I lived in New Hampshire for several years. Bought a few lobster. Had more given to us. I like 'em. But they don't come close to Dungeness Crab. I'd really like to get down to the Chesapeake someday and sample the crabs from that neck of the woods... see how they compare.

I suppose it's what you get used to, but I have never felt Dungeness crab to be the equal of lobster. I like them both, but to me Dungeness is the over-rated crustacean. Over rated that is when compared as superior to Maine lobster. I have lived on this coast for well over forty years and find nothing superior about its seafood when compared to the east except for a good king salmon, which is a damn fine tasting fish. Blue fish sucks.

Stone crab is excellent but to my tastes, spiny lobster is less so when compared to cold water lobster. What I like about east coast sea food is just that: it's really different north to south. Pacific coast is all the same, California to BC.

C'mon Phillip! Red Lobster? It's funny!

Soundbounder
12-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Just curious.....can you order a lobster at Red Lobster? Not a lobster tail or a dish with lobster as an ingredient, but an actual whole baked or steamed lobster?

Garret
12-01-2012, 08:13 AM
http://www.redlobster.com/menus/dinner/lobster_crab.asp

Paul Pless
12-01-2012, 08:35 AM
I don't think sea food is all it's bragged up to beAn attitude probably shared by many Arkansans. . .

Bobby of Tulsa
12-01-2012, 08:40 AM
At twenty plus dollars a pound lots of folk don't eat lobster, Red lobster has a tank full of them for you to pick from, even Wal Mart has a tank of them.:):)

Soundbounder
12-01-2012, 08:43 AM
At twenty plus dollars a pound lots of folk don't eat lobster, Red lobster has a tank full of them for you to pick from

I chuckled when I first saw the Red Lobster comment. Then I got to thinking......maybe Red Lobster is the only place around to get a lobster dinner?

Garret
12-01-2012, 08:45 AM
At twenty plus dollars a pound lots of folk don't eat lobster, Red lobster has a tank full of them for you to pick from, even Wal Mart has a tank of them.:):)

Supermarkets around here are $8/lb. Maine mid-coast fish stores are $5 for soft shell & $7 for hard. Boat prices (what the fishermen get paid) are $3.50 & $4.50 or thereabouts.

Good thing you don't have any middlemen marking things up! ;)

Soundbounder
12-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Phillip Allen http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
(http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=3612074#post3612074)I don't think sea food is all it's bragged up to be

An attitude probably shared by many Arkansans. . .

That's true in a lot of cases.
If your only exposure to Mexican food is Taco Bell, El Torrito, or some other chain, chances are you're not going to be impressed. If Italian food means Pizza Hut, Olive Garden, or some other god-awful place, you're not going to have a high opinion of it. If Chinese food means.........well, you get the idea ;)

Paul Pless
12-01-2012, 09:00 AM
That's true in a lot of cases.
If your only exposure to Mexican food is Taco Bell, El Torrito, or some other chain, chances are you're not going to be impressed. If Italian food means Pizza Hut, Olive Garden, or some other god-awful place, you're not going to have a high opinion of it. If Chinese food means.........well, you get the idea ;)

Bobby's point is a very good one too. Some foods are regionally cheaper. Lobster is definitely one of them. I like lobster, a lot. But I don't eat in Michigan or Alabama much. I think I had six of them, including rolls, on my trip to Mystic last summer though. Another example is oysters, I used to get Alabama oysters for $3 or $4 per dozen, in Michigan they are $3 or $4 per oyster!

Soundbounder
12-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Bobby's point is a very good one too. Some foods are regionally cheaper. Lobster is definitely one of them. I like lobster, a lot. But I don't eat in Michigan or Alabama much. I think I had six of them, including rolls, on my trip to Mystic last summer though. Another example is oysters, I used to get Alabama oysters for $3 or $4 per dozen, in Michigan they are $3 or $4 per oyster!
I agree...... read my comment in post #58

If the winner had said he was going to celebrate by going out for a lobster dinner, nobody would have blinked.

.maybe Red Lobster is the only place around to get a lobster dinner?

Vince Brennan
12-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Red Lobster? Good grief, with that kind of money he could at least spring for Olive Garden!

The new Red Lobster down at the local mall here lasted about a year before they threw in the towel. Better known to the locals as "The House of Fish Sticks."
Show some class! Joe's Crab Shack!

Phillip Allen
12-01-2012, 09:40 AM
I think my equivilant to the lobster dinner would have been a family event that was catered... then maybe an EBS for my bilge buddies... somewhere

Lew Barrett
12-01-2012, 12:42 PM
As all Maine Staters/New Englanders are aware, lobster was originally considered a trash fish and was fed to indentured servants, slaves and as a low wage meal. I don't recall how and when it became a gourmet choice, but it did. I grew up on Long Island and at that time, it was still "lobsetring" country. There was a lobster fleet that home ported in Freeport, a bike ride away from my house. Chicken lobsters were a $1.25 if I recall, bought off the boat. A good lobster dinner, while still at the top of the menu, was something we could have on a semi-regular basis on Mom's teacher's salary.

As Paul says, where you are has a bearing on price and taste. Each to there own, but as Paul well knows (:D) he and I share a taste for a good cold water lobster. In fact, I can't offhand think of any protein I like better. Another thing I adore about lobster is how the meat from various sections, tamale and odd bits all have a somewhat different flavor and texture. You northeasterners are lucky that way.

My wife, a mid-westerner, doesn't much care for lobster at all. I'm happy to eat her portion!

Phillip Allen
12-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Just think, Lew, there's idiots who think grits and collard greens is bad. there's nothing like greasy greens and grits fer good eatin!

(it's the three G's of southern food)

Garret
12-01-2012, 01:53 PM
I love grits. Greasy collard greens are only good if the grease is bacon fat. We are talking health food after all....

GWB
12-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Maybe he's crass and ignorant and its a shame he now has megabucks. But I like to think he knows and likes red lobster, doesn't feel a need to buy a porsche and go to a flash restaurant-where he probably won't be all that comfortable anyway, and maybe he's going to stay with his home made wooden sail boat and not go out and buy a 130' gin palace with a helipad and a party spa.

+1.
Must be a great feeling to go to Red Lobster secure in the knowledge that your future is assured. Imagine the feeling :)

Lew Barrett
12-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Just think, Lew, there's idiots who think grits and collard greens is bad. there's nothing like greasy greens and grits fer good eatin!

(it's the three G's of southern food)

I like southern food (when I'm in the south), but I have to admit, I prefer it in New Orleans where it takes on French, Creole and Cajun accents. I like a good meat and three, but it has to be a good one. I have eaten some of the best and worst food of my life in the old south. Grits are good!

Bob Cleek
12-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Ya know, it occurred to me that this lottery winner guy may be smarter than all of us. Taking his girl to Red Lobster may well be the equivalent of the winning Superbowl quarterback yelling into the camera, "I'm goin' to Disneyland!" Could be Red Lobster paid him a pretty penny for that "product placement." Or they should have.

Lew Barrett
12-02-2012, 04:57 PM
There was an article about the family in today's Seattle Times. They had previously adopted a young girl from China and now have plans to adopt another. They will set up education funds for all of the family's children, and by all, I took it to mean not just their own children, but to include nieces, nephews, grandchidren and so on. They are developing a list of charities they like. They have travel plans, and the gentleman will be acquiring a yellow Z28.

They sound like great folks, simple, humble, generous and wise. Great good fortune to them, and may they travel to France and Italy to expand their gastronomical horizons. Just as I would, except I'd go for the GT3.

JBreeze
12-02-2012, 05:50 PM
....They sound like great folks, simple, humble, generous and wise. Great good fortune to them, and may they travel to France and Italy to expand their gastronomical horizons. Just as I would, except I'd go for the GT3.

Did you notice that the husband's (now former) employer was Hillshire Brands? He worked there as a mechanic....no wonder he wanted seafood to celebrate. No more sausage for him!

A somewhat related anecdote about lobster...My parents were teenagers during the depression, never had much money, etc. and lived in a dying N.E. mill town. Lobster was never on the menu, unless one of their kids graduated from college.

One year my college tractor-trailer summer job wasn't available because of a strike, so I drove buses for a charter company in Boston. An event in Boston that summer was a national convention of university administrators that included a lobster bake at Tufts University one evening. We had 12 buses lined up at the Statler Hilton, and I watched the folks board the buses, dressed in evening gowns and summer suits!

Q: Ever been to a lobster bake before?
A: No ... is it good?
Q: Where are you from?
A: (general answer was a non-coastal state).
Q: Hope the lobster bibs are large.

Bottom line was I drove back to Boston with about 15 of those cardboard plates, top & bottom (pre-styrofoam days), stacked on the dashboard and held with one hand and driving with the other. Tough to see out the windshield with all that stuff, but I managed.

One of the best things about driving a bus that summer was most destinations fed the charter drivers for free. And Tufts had about 200 too many cooked lobsters to give away.