PDA

View Full Version : turkey, what to do with

elf
11-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Need casserole suggestions - something I can make a big pan of and freeze for future consumption.

Your best suggestions, or your wife's, please!

TomF
11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Turkey pot pie is even more highly anticipated by my mob than the original day's meal.

Uncle Duke
11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Turkey Tetrazinni....
Re-cook with Garlic, mushrooms, peas (or whatever veggies you have), some broth, olives, some pancetta or bacon (cut into chunks) and a little cheese - over whatever pasta (tossed w/ olive oil) you have available...

Declare victory and move on! :d

Peerie Maa
11-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Any dish that you can do with chicken. Curry, casserole, pie filling - turkey n ham; turkey n leek; turkey n mushroom, jambalaya.

Donn
11-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Another vote for turkey pot pie. We make them up with a variety of ingredients, then freeze them. We don't put veggies in until we thaw and re-heat them, and then use whatever's fresh and good.

Tom Montgomery
11-26-2012, 03:09 PM
This year we brined two turkey breasts in a salt water solution overnight in the refrigerator. We then smoked them on our Weber grill. OMG! Moist and delicious!

We are content to eat the leftovers in sandwiches. My favorite: A club sandwich of smoked turkey, canadian bacon, romaine lettuce and tomato on toasted wheat bread with a mixture of mayonnaise/dijon mustard on the side. Ummm....

BrianY
11-26-2012, 03:13 PM
It's not a casserole and you can't freeze it (but it uses frozen turkey meat), but it's quick, easy and tasty -

Turkey Pilaf

Sautee some diced onions (1/4 - 1/3 cup) in 1-2 tbs olive oil in a pot. Add some spaghetti (a bunch about a nickle in diameter) broken into 1-2 inch pieces and a cup of white rice. Stir to coat evenly with the hot oil and cook for a couple of minutes. Add 2 cups chicken broth, some chopped fresh mushrooms, about a cup of frozen cooked turkey chunks (chicken also works but turkey tastes better), salt and pepper and a bit of tarragon (try 1/4 - 1/2 tsp to start) to taste. Cover and simmer for 15 - 20 mins unti the rice is cooked and all the liquid is absorbed. Eat.

Vince Brennan
11-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Loaf-pan sized turkey potpies with a separator wall across the pan on the bottom crust, making two square-ish "pots", fill 'em up with your particular concoction of leftovers and new veggies, a generous shot of gravy, top cover and prebake for a durable crust. Cut and freeze for two portions or freeze the whole thing (sans pan) as you wish. I have a vacuum keeper, so once they're frozen, I transfer to a vacuum bag and store them that way.

PotPie.

Yum.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Turkey soup. cook the carcass after stripping it, strain off the juice... barley, carrots, onion, turnip, mmmmmmm

Canoez
11-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Turkey soup. cook the carcass after stripping it, strain off the juice... barley, carrots, onion, turnip, mmmmmmm

I'm a soup fan, too - after thanksgiving dinner, some turkey sandwiches and then some turkey tetrazini-ish stuff, I made a huge pot of turkey soup with carrots, celery, onions, turkey, mushrooms, egg noodles and seasonings. It doesn't tend to last long. I also reduced about three quarts of stock to about a cup or so which will be frozen for later use.

SMARTINSEN
11-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Turkey soup. cook the carcass after stripping it, strain off the juice... barley, carrots, onion, turnip, mmmmmmmAdd celery and omit the turnips:)

I made the stock a couple of days ago, and after letting it cool and skimming of the fat, I am just sitting down after cutting up all the veggies . Rice is on the back burner, too, and I will peruse the Bilge while waiting for it to cook.

LeeG
11-26-2012, 06:09 PM
This year we brined two turkey breasts in a salt water solution overnight in the refrigerator. We then smoked them on our Weber grill. OMG! Moist and delicious!

We are content to eat the leftovers in sandwiches. My favorite: A club sandwich of smoked turkey, canadian bacon, romaine lettuce and tomato on toasted wheat bread with a mixture of mayonnaise/dijon mustard on the side. Ummm....

Good living

LeeG
11-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Any dish that you can do with chicken. Curry, casserole, pie filling - turkey n ham; turkey n leek; turkey n mushroom, jambalaya.

Zactly, sauté onions, mushrooms and cracked wheat, toss in turkey meat add water and white wine or beer. Ready in 30min.

skipper68
11-26-2012, 06:47 PM
OOh OOh PICK Me!!! I'm doing this. Might need to buy some stuffing, but Yummy!!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees,but Spray the pan with Pam spray.
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 cup of milk or water
1- 16oz bag of thawed broccoli, carrots and cauliflower
2 cups of cubed turkey
4 cups of stuffing
1 cup of shredded swiss or sharp cheese.
Stir the soup and milk in a large bowl. Add the turkey, stuffing and vegetables, mix lightly.
Spoon it into the casserole dish.
Bake 20 minutes till it's bubbly, then stir and top with the cheese.
Bake 5 more minutes till the cheese is melted.
I had this the other day-I stole the recipe.. Enjoy.:)

Tom Montgomery
11-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Good living
You bet! We'll do this again. And again!

L.W. Baxter
11-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Mini sandwiches with the left over dinner rolls.

Monkey Butler
11-26-2012, 11:42 PM

Always looking for fun things to do with the Weber...

Can you post step-by-step directions or a link?

I'm still using the recipe/instructions that someone posted here for DIY pastrami.

BETTY-B
11-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Pot pies. Hopefully you made stock.

S.V. Airlie
11-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Cut it off (the meat) and freeze it. And don't don't even think about eating any for at least a month. By that time any recipe will be fine to repeat/use.

elf
11-27-2012, 08:30 AM
No space in the freezer.

Donn
11-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Need casserole suggestions - something I can make a big pan of and freeze for future consumption.

No space in the freezer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/donnwest/smilies/stoned_again.gif

RichKrough
11-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Not a casserole but last night I made a yogurt/curry sauce with cauliflower, potatoes, green peas and chopped turkey leftovers.

katey
11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Turkey risotto freezes well.

Vince Brennan
11-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Mini sandwiches with the left over dinner rolls.WHAT 'left-over' dinner rolls???
HERESY!!

MiddleAgesMan
11-27-2012, 01:48 PM
I brown turkey scraps (pieces--large, medium, small) in butter and have it for breakfast for as many days as it takes to get rid of it. With so many people cutting and handling the turkey during turkey day dinner I figure it's safer than sticking cold turkey on some bread for a sandwich.

But if I'm the only one who has done the carving and handling I will enjoy a cold turkey sandwich or two at the next meal. After that everything that goes in my stomach will spend some time in a hot skillet.

Yeah, I'm weird that way. :)

elf
11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Tamale Pie - from NYT cookbook

As much meat as is on a 3-lb fryer.
Garlic, onion - saute
the equivalent of 2 peeled, chopped tomatoes with oregano, thyme and tarragon
chili powder to taste
1.5C frozen corn.
polenta or cooked corn meal mush
grated longhorn ched, or other sort of Mexican-ish cheese

Press polenta into edges of 2 qt casserole or pie plate, or cook yellow corn meal in stock and use it
Spread chopped meat across the bottom of casserole
cook toms, corn, chili powder, herbs, onions etc together 'til not soggy
cover meat with veggies and spread cheese on top

bake 350˚ until polenta is a little crispy and cheese browned, ~30 mins.

S.V. Airlie
11-27-2012, 03:45 PM
No space in the freezer.
Simple solutions invite half a dozen homelss or out of work who didn't have anywhere to go the other day for turkey..At the least give them brown bags to take to those in need. Like many liberals who rarely appear to give to charity, put your money where your mouth is like VP Biden. Let's see he gave what to charity? $99.00...Wow broke the bank didn't he?

elf
11-27-2012, 04:31 PM
The local food bank does accept whole turkeys, especially frozen. Unfortunately, it doesn't accept dinner leftovers.

Besides, I bought this turkey so I'd have the leftovers.

Chip-skiff
11-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Besides, I bought this turkey so I'd have the leftovers.

Cook a smaller one next year = conservation of resources.