PDA

View Full Version : Maine GOP Chairman Claims Hundreds of Blacks Voted in Rural Towns

Soundbounder
11-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Maine Republican Party Chairman Charlie Webster is once again alleging possible voting irregularities, this time claiming that groups of unknown black people showed up in some rural towns to vote on Election Day.

Webster made the claim in a wide-ranging, post-election interview this week with Don Carrigan of WCSH-TV.
"In some parts of rural Maine, there were dozens, dozens of black people who came in and voted on Election Day," he said. "Everybody has a right to vote, but nobody in (these) towns knows anyone who's black. How did that happen? I don't know. We're going to find out."

"I'm not talking about 15 or 20. I'm talking hundreds,"

http://www.pressherald.com/politics/Maine-Republican-chairman-questions-black-voters-.html

Sounds pretty scary!

Paul Pless
11-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Sounds pretty scary! :d ...

Vince Brennan
11-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Well, Maine IS where King wrote most of his horror pieces... looks like we know where he got the model for his paranoid characters...

I'm sure AwShucks, Numbnutz (incidentally, if that's REALLY how you look, you best see an endocrinologist PDF!) or one of the other RWWN sock-puppets will be along soon to defend this so-called citizen right quick.

LeeG
11-16-2012, 08:21 AM
There probably is hundreds

Looks like Webster is stuckin a rut.

From the article:
Webster, a former lawmaker from Farmington who has said he will step down as party chairman when his term ends in December, has made similar claims in the past.

He has long complained that Maine elections are too loose and open to voter fraud.

Last year, he targeted college students when he alleged that more than 200 had voted in recent elections without establishing residency in the places where they voted.

The Secretary of State's Office reviewed Webster's allegations and found no instances of fraud.

Webster, however, remains unconvinced.

LeeG
11-16-2012, 08:26 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_and_Bantu_migration_to_Maine

RichKrough
11-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Must have been all those pimped up tractors rolling through town on election day that scared Charlie. The possibility of a "plow-by shooting" was of up-most concern!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/moforeynolds/PSd/DSC00558.jpg

Mrleft8
11-16-2012, 09:01 AM
These wouldn't be the refugees from Sudan, Sierra Leone, or Burundi, or where-ever, that were all over the news shows in the last several years, would they?

Ian McColgin
11-16-2012, 09:08 AM
How else can the Republicans explain this guy? Couldn't be that he represents the best of Maine now, could it?

http://www.kjonline.com/news/elected-to-the-house-a-no-nonsense-walking-improbability_2012-11-15.html

(Thanks to Chris for bringing this news to the fore.)

Joe Dupere
11-16-2012, 09:22 AM
These wouldn't be the refugees from Sudan, Sierra Leone, or Burundi, or where-ever, that were all over the news shows in the last several years, would they?

We don't know, because he hadn't said what towns reported these van loads of mysterious black voters. Although, according to Maine Public Broadcasting, he is now backing off of his claims. In a press release he made the following statement (from the Waterville, ME 'Morning Sentinel')

"It was my intention to talk not about race, but about perceived voting irregularities," Webster said in a written statement. "However, my comments were made without proof of wrongdoing and they had the unintended consequence of casting aspersions on an entire group of Americans. For that, I am truly sorry."

And, just as a point of reference, Charlie Webster's claims (mentioned by LeeG in post #4 above) that around 200 out of state students voted illegally in the 2010 elections were investigated by the Secretary of State, who is a Republican, elected by a Republican majority in the state legislature. No instances of fraud were found.

LeeG
11-16-2012, 09:36 AM
"perceived voting irregularies"

Oh, he wasn't talking about objective reality but the workings of hypothetical minds.

Soundbounder
11-16-2012, 09:58 AM
This seems to be a rightwing urban legend which has been making the rounds. From a November 10 comment on the Tea Party's Facebook page:

"I believe there was massive voter fraud yesterday. In fact, when I went to vote there were 3 black women in line at the polls. They were acting all happy and when I asked them why they were there they gave me this whole shuck and jive about their right to vote.
I've never seen them before in my life. I can assure you there are no black people living in my neighborhood.
It was obvious to me that these were some of Obama's goons flown in to provide fake votes for Obama

http://www.facebook.com/TheTeaParty.net/posts/428472887208202

Ian McColgin
11-16-2012, 10:15 AM
I like the shuck and jive about right to vote. Don't even need code words for these creeps.

Canoeyawl
11-16-2012, 11:34 AM
I like the shuck and jive about right to vote. Don't even need code words for these creeps.

The code word is "Republican"

MiddleAgesMan
11-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Must have been all those pimped up tractors rolling through town on election day that scared Charlie. The possibility of a "plow-by shooting" was of up-most concern!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/moforeynolds/PSd/DSC00558.jpg

Are you the Photoshop master or what! :)

Soundbounder
11-17-2012, 04:17 AM
Charlie Webster's Bizarre Voter-Fraud Conspiracy Theory

Webster’s comments reveal that voter-fraud concerns tend to be thinly veiled racism. He basically is asking, “What are these suspicious black voters up to anyway?” Webster has gotten a lot of criticism for letting the veil slip off, including calls from other Maine Republicans for him to resign. (Webster has since apologized (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83967.html) and will be leaving office on Dec. 1 in any case.)

But Webster’s comments also demonstrate how absurd the average voter-fraud claim is. What exactly is Webster alleging was going on? That some Democratic Party operative loaded up a bus of non-resident black people and took them to rural Maine, where they used their fraudulent votes to influence . . . presumably a state senate race or something? Maine, after all, had no competitive federal elections this year.
That seems like a ludicrously inefficient strategy for winning an election. It would mean investing a lot of time and energy into getting people to commit illegal acts. If all went according to plan, the organizing party would have gotten a few dozen more votes. And if it went wrong, people would have gone to jail.

This is why voter-fraud discussions from the right are all grumbling and no prosecutions. I was an intern for a Republican congressional campaign in the Philadelphia area in 2004. The Republican Party operatives I interacted with seemed sincerely convinced that the Democratic "machine" in Philadelphia routinely stole elections through chicanery at polling places, including illegal voting. Similar complaints spun around (http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/11/shocking-audio-dem-poll-watcher-kicking-out-gop-inspectors-in-philly-video/) the conservative blogosphere this November.

Yet Republicans have held the Pennsylvania attorney general’s office for the last 32 years. Rooting out voter fraud in Philadelphia would have been a great career move for any of those attorneys general. That they haven’t done so is a good sign that the fraud isn't actually happening.

Bloomberg
​http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-16/charlie-webster-s-bizarre-voter-fraud-conspiracy-theory.html

Gerarddm
11-17-2012, 11:00 AM
According to Rachel Maddow he has been denounced within his party and he will be out as GOP Maine Chair on 01 Dec.

Soundbounder
11-17-2012, 11:16 AM
According to Rachel Maddow he has been denounced within his party and he will be out as GOP Maine Chair on 01 Dec. To clarify: His term expires December 1, he hasn't been forced out.

Gerarddm
11-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Yes, thank you, I should have been more specific. He has been denounced within his own party, however, and those people greet the imminent end of his term with relief.

Chip-skiff
11-17-2012, 01:14 PM
I wonder if those black voters were airlifted in black helicopters. Some of the Wyoming delegation were quite concerned about those, some years back.

Bill R
11-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Charlie Webster is an idiot. End of story.

bamamick
11-18-2012, 08:46 AM
What do you have to do to vote in Maine? In my little rural area of Alabama I have to: 1. register to vote. 2. walk up to an 80-year old from New Jersey or somewhere else where they 'talk funny' and tell her my name. She then checks me on the registered voter list and gives me a card. 3. I take the card to another 80 year old from Hoboken and hand it to her. She asks to see my driver's license, has me sign a register, and checks my signature against that on my license. Only then does she hand me my ballot and I go sit down and vote. The whole process takes about five minutes and is pretty pain-free.

I am not sure how you'd defraud the system with what we've got. It's low tech and inexpensive. Of course, I don't know what happens if you don't have a driver's license.

Soundbounder
11-18-2012, 09:06 AM
What do you have to do to vote in Maine?

Hide any sort of race or ethnicity. :p

fishrswim
11-18-2012, 10:15 AM
And to top it off when someone implied racism he (on camera) explained that he couldn't be racist because he plays BB every Sunday with a black guy.
Hmm, no one knows any Black people, but he plays BB with one.

elf
11-18-2012, 10:36 AM
In my town I only have to register to vote, show up on election day, have my name checked in the roll book, take a ballot, mark it, have my name checked off in a copy of the roll book being manned by two other people, push my ballot thru a slot in a wooden box.

No ID necessary. No signature either.

Of course, to register, now that's a different story. For that I have to either go to town hall and show proof of where I live or fill out and return the annual town census form when it's sent to me.

Canoeyawl
11-18-2012, 11:55 AM
I just have to walk in and tell them who I am and they check my name off a list. We don't need to show anything, but this is a very liberal area where they actually let people vote.

wardd
11-18-2012, 12:06 PM
are we still a democracy when one party is trying to limit the vote to selected voters?