PDA

View Full Version : Sailboat is covered/ still riding bike

JMAC
11-15-2012, 09:26 PM
I'd ask this question on the Honda CX 500 forum, but the site is not cooperating, hasn't let me post and I haven't the time to sort it out. I've had a couple of short rides this month, may get more in.

My kill switch has stopped killing, so I've been using the ignition to shut it down. Any clues why? Also, I've been swinging wide in places like the end of my drive where I am at a stop and needing to turn right or left immediately. To turn at slow speeds, do you still lean or do you steer by turning the wheel?

Also, I've been coming up to stops too slow, overly cautious I think, any pointers?

The Bigfella
11-15-2012, 09:59 PM
You have a wheel on your bike?

The Bigfella
11-15-2012, 10:04 PM
I'd ask this question on the Honda CX 500 forum, but the site is not cooperating, hasn't let me post and I haven't the time to sort it out. I've had a couple of short rides this month, may get more in.

My kill switch has stopped killing, so I've been using the ignition to shut it down. Any clues why? Possibly a bit of corrosion in the switch. How are you at fiddly repairs? Disconnect the battery earth lead and have a go at pulling it apart.

Also, I've been swinging wide in places like the end of my drive where I am at a stop and needing to turn right or left immediately. To turn at slow speeds, do you still lean or do you steer by turning the wheel? Leaning at slow speeds has risks attached.... turn the bars

Also, I've been coming up to stops too slow, overly cautious I think, any pointers?

Practice. You should be able to discern the lock-up point or damn near it. Lock the front brake though and life can get interesting. I do it from time to time on clay / mud just for a bit of practice though... be aware that you can go down quickly. See if you can borrow a beat up light weight dirt bike for some braking practice on grass or dirt.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-16-2012, 01:31 AM
I managed to go down yesterday through making just that mistake, on gravel....grrrr!

Stiletto
11-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Re the kill switch, most kill switches just run the ignition circuit to earth, I would be looking for a poor/broken connection somewhere.

Larks
11-16-2012, 02:04 AM
I miss my CX500, stolen from my house in Alice Springs never to be seen again.....

wharf rat
11-16-2012, 02:20 AM
Pretty much what Ian said...

CX500--you're talking a 20-year-old bike now? Replace the switch.

Riding slow? Turn the wheel (or bars if you got them). You will still lean, but more controlled and for balance, not steering. Pick a smooth dry paved area and wear good heavy boots. After some practice you should be able steer the bike from lock to lock while remaining upright.

I took my last rider's license exam on a Yamaha XS1100 (about 700lbs, 61 inch wheelbase) and after I rode the course, we found that all the cones were set up for the 500cc and under exams --much closer together. The examiner --when she realized that I rode the wrong layout--just said 'wow'.

Stopping: Practice. Again find a smooth, dry spot, and learn to literally stop on a dime (or maybe a chalk mark) . Then learn to do it quicker. Learning this will save your life at some point.

The CX is a wonderful bike and well balanced. You'll find it easy to learn low speed maneuvering on it.

JMAC
11-16-2012, 08:04 AM
You have a wheel on your bike?

I guess I walked into that one.....I've been reading the Proficient Motorcycling book recommended by Andrew. Lots of info. I think I'll read it again during mud season. Is Turtle Wax okay for the chrome? even the exhaust?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Nope; you need a chrome cleaner; used to be sold by every filling station but not so much now... don't worry about the front part of the exhaust pipe going a bit blue, if it does, but do try to get to the parts that the eye doesn't see, cos that's where the rust starts.

I tend to switch off with the key switch not the kill switch.

P-man
11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Nope; you need a chrome cleaner; used to be sold by every filling station but not so much now... don't worry about the front part of the exhaust pipe going a bit blue, if it does, but do try to get to the parts that the eye doesn't see, cos that's where the rust starts.

I tend to switch off with the key switch not the kill switch.

+1. that way i don't forget to turn off the ignition.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-16-2012, 09:03 AM
+1. that way i don't forget to turn off the ignition.

...which increases my chances of remembering to take the keys with me, once I've parked the bike!

Phil Y
11-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I used to have a CX500 too:) loved it. Affectionatly known as the ugly pig. I never use a kill switch, for same reasons as stated above. As to the other issues, just ride the thing, you ain't going to get any better at it sitting at you computer.

The Bigfella
11-16-2012, 09:17 PM
I always use the kill switch and never forget to turn the ignition off or forget to take the keys... except on the 525, which doesn't have a key. It has a defacto ignition switch using something nifty as a theft deterrent. The reason I always use the kill switch is that it should be second nature to hit it in case of trouble during river crossings. Then again... when the airbox goes under, it isn't really needed. If you aren't crossing rivers... either will do.

JMAC
11-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Jeez Phil, ugly pig? What's not to love? http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8047/8101169597_13294585e4_d.jpg And I've been riding and asking the dumb questions. It was in the mid-30's when I went out this afternoon, not too bad with longjohns on. I can see that I'm improving, and happy to be on the backroads mostly on my own.

wharf rat
11-16-2012, 11:44 PM
I liked my '79 CX500 Custom as well. I still think the Custom is a good looking bike:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery/Honda%20Cx500C%2080.jpg

Stiletto
11-17-2012, 05:17 PM
They seem to have stood the test of time quite well, If I recall correctly, when released they were tagged as being a bit heavy for the engine capacity. Maybe the heavier construction is why they have lasted.

JMAC
11-17-2012, 10:13 PM
I went oout for a ride in the late afternoon today. Mid-20's is pushing it. Cold air looks for any weakness in the clothing.....but I may do it again tomorrow. Probably just after noon would be a little warmer. I'm happy taking a bunch of short rides just to get my moves down. But now I want an old BMW after reading Lew's thread...