PDA

View Full Version : forget the boat for a moment

Paul Pless
11-15-2012, 06:07 AM
Check out how 'nice' this boat ship is. This ain't your average bow roofed shed or converted garage or basement shop.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8058/8177947650_43ce26a304_h.jpg

Paul Pless
11-15-2012, 06:13 AM
okay so what's the boat type? decked caledonia yawl?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8484/8177246413_4afd847ee2_h.jpg

Rob Hazard
11-15-2012, 07:54 AM
That looks like a good guess. Maybe the shape of that centerboard hanging in the corner would tell us something.

So whose shop is this?

George Jung
11-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Might have to go by process elimination.

That said - it's not mine! But it should be.

switters
11-15-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm copying the grinder set up. Right now the only thing my shop has in common with that one is an unfinished centerboard and the same type of shop vac.

sweet place to butcher wood.

skuthorp
11-15-2012, 12:05 PM
If I remember rightly George from Brazil built his boat in his new dining room extension before putting in the end wall.

TR
11-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Looks like they are building boats in the living room.......might be an Eel.....

Canoez
11-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Looks like they are building boats in the living room.......might be an Eel.....

Been done a few times...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MlvfQTkG04Q/R8YI4h4ox0I/AAAAAAAAADY/QmqU2xlMK8U/s400/GLEE.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MlvfQTkG04Q/SRxk6uCln4I/AAAAAAAAAm0/sgdmW1DPElo/s400/boat+in+living+room+sm.jpg

But it does come with a warning (http://canoez.blogspot.com/2008/11/warning.html)....

pipefitter
11-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Living in Florida and growing up around boats, it had never occurred to me that people would build boats indoors. Used to see them set up in people's back yards and it meant your friends were bound to stop by a lot, minus the formalities of having to knock on the door or ring the phone. I remember going up to the convenience store and having a total stranger stop me and say, "You're that guy who's building a boat in his back yard." Typically followed by the question. . ."Need any help?"

Paul Pless
11-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Living in Florida and growing up around boats, it had never occurred to me that people would build boats indoors. Used to see them set up in people's back yards and it meant your friends were bound to stop by a lot, minus the formalities of having to knock on the door or ring the phone. I remember going up to the convenience store and having a total stranger stop me and say, "You're that guy who's building a boat in his back yard." Typically followed by the question. . ."Need any help?"

I hear you dude, same with drag cars and hot rods and such. But I have to tell its different when like this yesterday morning I woke and it was in the low twenties and windy as Hell! My Rottweiler from Alabama scoffed at me when i opened the door to send him outside. . .

George Jung
11-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Scoffed?

What's that look like? (a piktur would suffice)

Paul Pless
11-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Well he's smart, he weighs over a hundred pounds and he knows it, so he just sort of huffed* and then laid down. . .

* there's thousands of nuanced little snorts and sigh and growls and whines that dogs make, they all mean something very definitive in context. Even the very way that dogs inhale and exhale with or without sound is nuanced communication. His little huff and down was telling me I was out of my mind. He could have made his point that he didn't want to go outside merely by laying down, but he had to add the huff in there to be a smart ass about it.

George Jung
11-15-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm aware of *nuance* - at times, painfully!

If this were not my puppy - if he took umbrage to my very existance (you know, like the bilge) - it'd be nice to know *the code*.... like 5" before we went from *nuance* to *Action!*

Ya know?

Paul Pless
11-15-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm aware of *nuance* - at times, painfully!

If this were not my puppy - if he took umbrage to my very existance (you know, like the bilge) - it'd be nice to know *the code*.... like 5" before we went from *nuance* to *Action!*

Ya know?Rottweilers are among the most predictable and easiest to read of all dogs and fwiw least aggressive as well.

George Jung
11-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Depends on how they're raised, correct? FWIW, I've never encountered a Rottweiler that was aggressive. A few dobbermans - but they'd been abused/raised for that intent. And fwiw - I had little trouble 'reading' them, either. But I could really scoot back then.

Mrleft8
11-15-2012, 09:30 PM
If you spell DOG sideways you get "Oh God! What'd he get into this time!?!"
The switch over from "Cute puppy, Aldo" to "Demon spawn from hell, Waldo" is impossible to foretell, and instantaneous......
And that's a nice shop, but no big deal.... Ledger would have a conniption fit in there, and start dusting, and stowing stuff..... :D

Paul Pless
11-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Depends on how they're raised, correct?certainly, although I can overcome a lot of habits from how they were raised. All breeds have certain useful instinctual behaviors that were bred into them, often over hundreds or thousands of years. Rottweilers like many herding dogs worked within eye contact of their handlers, so for hundreds of generations the ability to interact and read their owner/handler was paramount. Just as a retreiver's number one instinct should be to fetch a rottweilers number one instinct is to figure out what their owner wants them to do. This manifests itself in many ways, but primarily it makes rotties incredibly needy. They also get their feelings hurt very easily. What's useful about this is that they are very easy to train. In contrast Dobbies are more free to act on their own and actually tend to be more responsive than rotties. By way of example, if a Rottweiler sees something (an intruder) at the edge of its territory it will stand up and take notice but often will not go inspect the intruder until that person gets closer to 'home base'. A doberman is typically compelled to go and check out every little thing as soon as its in its field of vision. As far as aggression goes, I have been bitten by well over two hundred dogs, I have never been bitten by a rottweiler. Rotties give so much warning before they bite it would be very hard to miss that they were upset with you.

George Jung
11-15-2012, 09:46 PM
200?

Sorry to say, Paul - but are you a slow learner? :p

B_B
11-15-2012, 09:55 PM
200? Sorry to say, Paul - but are you a slow learner? :p
Some folks just cain't miss the obvious! :D ;)

George Jung
11-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Some folks just cain't miss the obvious! :D ;)

I'm wondering at his nickname...

'Slim'? Really?

PAlien
11-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Looks like the School in Hadlock to me.

Stiletto
11-17-2012, 04:49 PM
That workshop is looks like it is in a residential area. I wonder what the residents think of the sound of powertools.

Mrleft8
11-17-2012, 06:33 PM
That workshop is looks like it is in a residential area. I wonder what the residents think of the sound of powertools.

On a weekday at 10AM?..... Or at midnight?...... Probably a lot less disturbing than having a teenaged neighbor boy with a massive sound system, who's into Limp Bizkit, or Throbbing Death Zombies..... But then again, I've been known to both run power tools and blast rock-n-roll at all hours of the day and night..... Even when I lived in the polite part of town.

Mrleft8
11-17-2012, 06:45 PM
He likes the attention, I think....

johnw
11-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Check out how 'nice' this boat ship is. This ain't your average bow roofed shed or converted garage or basement shop.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8058/8177947650_43ce26a304_h.jpg

Peterboat? (http://books.google.com/books?id=E18MI3rVbV0C&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=john+watkinson+peterboat&source=bl&ots=kzMFr6PL1m&sig=sY0TBu_d3Mx5cVwERIqdT6FaDe8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1iSoUJiRA8S8yAHJ5IDoBQ&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=john%20watkinson%20peterboat&f=false)

Paul Pless
11-17-2012, 09:45 PM
P'raps if you bathed more often, you wouldn't smell like dog food.

Mostly its been Corgi's and terriers, often while giving them a shot, or trimming their toe nails. I've waded into a few dog fights over the years. Incidentally if you really need to break up a dog fight, a chemical fire extinguisher is the hands best thing to do so with. A few strays have gotten me, about once a month some jerkoff will drive by our place at 2:00 a.m. in the morning and toss their dog over our perimeter fence (8'). These dogs are usually terrified and sometimes injured and often have been neglected. My worst bite ever came from a Great Dane that had got its toenail caught in a gate hinge. He wasn't really in any pain or danger but he was in full freaking panic mode as I got him free he got me in the back of the hand.