PDA

View Full Version : John Kerry for secretary of defense?

johnw
11-13-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't care how much he knows about defense, the politics of such an appointment are that it only makes sense if the administration is trying to make conservatives' heads explode.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2012/11/13/15136224-kerry-rice-eyed-for-cabinet-posts?lite

Glen Longino
11-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Payback for Cheney!!!:D

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-13-2012, 05:31 PM
He might be rather good.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
He would be good. He's a reasonable man, and very bright.

johnw
11-13-2012, 05:43 PM

And a lightning rod. If they really are contemplating this appointment, they must be planning to change the way the senate approves appointments, because if it works the way it has in the past, the Republicans will block it, and prevent a lot else from getting done while they're blocking it.

skuthorp
11-13-2012, 05:43 PM
And he's been at the sharp end.

Paul Pless
11-13-2012, 05:49 PM
He might be rather good.

What would make him a good Secretary of Defense? other than POW/MIA affairs (and those a really VA issues) what Congressional work has he done related to the military? His committee assignments tend towards finance, health, trade, the economy, and the environment. . .

Paul Pless
11-13-2012, 05:51 PM
And a lightning rod. If they really are contemplating this appointment, they must be planning to change the way the senate approves appointments, because if it works the way it has in the past, the Republicans will block it, and prevent a lot else from getting done while they're blocking it.

Maybe, but i actually think the senate will have trouble blocking one of their own, especially a four term Senator. . .

johnw
11-13-2012, 05:52 PM
What would make him a good Secretary of Defense? other than POW/MIA affairs what Congressional work has he done related to the military? His committee assignments tend towards finance, health, trade, the economy, and the environment. . .

So, is this just a trial balloon to make the real appointee look better?

In fairness, he does chair the committee on foreign relations.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-13-2012, 06:17 PM
What would make him a good Secretary of Defense? other than POW/MIA affairs (and those a really VA issues) what Congressional work has he done related to the military? His committee assignments tend towards finance, health, trade, the economy, and the environment. . .

That very fact? That is to say, that he is NOT in the pockets of the military-industrial complex.

Paul Pless
11-13-2012, 06:24 PM
That very fact? That is to say, that he is NOT in the pockets of the military-industrial complex.

I would like to agree with you, as you well know I'd like to see our military size and cost (relative to GDP) cut in half over the next twenty five years, but Kerry is a career politician, 30 plus years now, he's surely already in bed with all the important players. . .

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-13-2012, 06:29 PM
If he is in anybody's pockets (figuratively speaking - I recall that money is not one of his problems!) it is surely more likely to be the pockets of finance, health, trade, the economy, and the environment?

In Britain we routinely put politicians in Ministerial slots where they have no prior experience - but then we do believe in the idea of the generalist manager...

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-13-2012, 06:36 PM
So does Canada... the idea that good people with good skills can do a fair number of jobs.

Paul Pless
11-13-2012, 06:38 PM
If he is in anybody's pockets (figuratively speaking - I recall that money is not one of his problems!) it is surely more likely to be the pockets of finance, health, trade, the economy, and the environment?three of the ten largest defense contractors are primarily finance, insurance and health care related corporations. . .

RichKrough
11-13-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't care how much he knows about defense, the politics of such an appointment are that it only makes sense if the administration is trying to make conservatives' heads explode.

Perhaps that is the intent, Get the House tea-nuts all worked up into a froth and making asses of themselves to use against them in 2014 midterms. Democrats will only need to pick off about 15 or 16 of them to control the house.

ccmanuals
11-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Served in combat in Vietnam. I'm thinking maybe a good choice.

johnw
11-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Perhaps that is the intent, Get the House tea-nuts all worked up into a froth and making asses of themselves to use against them in 2014 midterms. Democrats will only need to pick off about 15 or 16 of them to control the house.

Getting themselves worked into a froth is how they took control of the House. A better trick would be to make them go to sleep.