PDA

View Full Version : Edgeboard motor, Who Made it, At my wit's end.

DanSkorupka
11-11-2012, 08:13 AM
I remember reading a while ago about an edgeboard motor.
It was a tiny longtail of about 1 hp that was mounted to the gunnel of a very large canoe far enough forward that the prop was just barely behind the stern. It did not move except for raising and lowering the prop so steering was with a conventional boat mounted rudder.

It looked vaguely like a Atco Boatimpeller with different mounting hardware.
Gave pretty much the same results as a bracket with a 2 hp honda but was very nice looking, far slower turning, a two stroke, water cooled, optionally had a large can muffler and underwater exhaust.

I do not know how to spell or pronounce it (haven't read about it in 2 years) something sort of like Tumellor
IIRC they were popular in Britain but not the US and they quit making them over 20 years ago.

skuthorp
11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
I have converted a straight shaft brush cutter into a similar device to drive my canoe. 2nd hand nylon prop, and some re-working of the angled drive end. Brush cutter came off a council clean up. I don't use it much though, a bit noisy and a bit fumy despite some adaption of the exhaust set up.

DanSkorupka
11-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Oddjob, perhaps?

http://www.oddjobmotors.com/atcoboatimpeller.htm

Have already seen that website and motor. Close but no cigar.

This one was water cooled and clamped to the gunnel of the boat a good ways forward, the powerhead mostly lower than the top of the gunnel and all weight is overboard. Have fun in a beam sea. Might be good for a single outrigger.
The Atco is transom mounted just like an Asian longtail, but smaller.