PDA

View Full Version : Production Controller for 1895 Schooner C.A. Thayer Rebuild Project Needed

Lynn Cullivan
02-26-2002, 04:46 PM
Hope this isn't too far off topic.

San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park has announced an opening for a Production Controller (Ships) to function as Restoration Manager/Production Controller for the restoration/rehabilitation of the 1895 National Historic Landmark wooden schooner C.A. Thayer.

This is a federal government, term appointment (not to exceed four years). The position is classified GS-1152-12/12, and offers a salary range of $59,471-$77,309 per year. The closing date for applications is March 15, 2002.

The Production Controller will: function as the Park's prime representative in all technical dealings with the main contractor, naval architect and advisory panel; ensure that work is carried out with good work practices and trade techniques related to historic wooden vessels; and coordinate/direct the procurement of project materials. Applicants must have proven experience in the management of large wooden vessel restoration/construction projects.

For a complete job description, please reference the vacancy announcement (SAFR-02-01DEU) online at USAJobs.com < http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/wfjic/jobs/IA9839.htm> or call the Park's Human Resources Department at 415-556-0817. For more information about the C.A. Thayer, please visit the vessel's web page at <http://www.nps.gov/safr/local/thayer.html>.

Dave Fleming
02-26-2002, 07:32 PM
Ha, the Thayer they got money for but the WAPAMA sits falling apart over in Richmond.
So for acting as liason between a NA and probably Bay Ship and an advisory panel you get the princely sum of max 77K for max 4 years living in the Bay Area.
I fugger about 2.5 to a full 3 mil. is needed to do the job right maybe a bit more.
Frames are shot at the keel. Deck is a disaster, peppered with little dutchman. The waterways are gone and so is the whole stern works. Rigging is bloody dangerous, just to be on the vessel under it give me the willies.
Hows about re-location allowance, transportation cause she needs to be in a dry dock and I don't see her being put down in the graving dock at Hunters Point so it is probably over in Alameda and that means a nice commute across the Bay to Fort Mason/Hyde St. pier whatevery day or so?
Tell ya what, you set me up with a nice apartment in Alameda just one bedroom would be fine. Furnish it with rental furniture. Supply me with a vehicle or better yet a small boat say a 22 foot Bartender to run back and forth in. Make the salary a flat 75K per year and maybe ya can sway me out of retirement.
Oh and I get Harry Drings old office on the ferry for my use, ya folla?
Just in case you people have forgotten my diatribe about the WAPAMA the photos of the disaster are still up on my Imagestation site.
http://www.imagestation.com/members/DaveFleming :mad:

[ 02-26-2002, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Dave Fleming ]

ken mcclure
02-26-2002, 07:46 PM
Why do they bother posting a range. How many people are there who, knowing that the job will pay as much as $77K, would accept the job at $59K ?

Oh, you would?

Here's your sign.

plimsol
02-27-2002, 12:00 AM
Only 3 million? Let's get real here. This is the job from hell. The cost overun is going to be at least 3 million. If the Thayer is anything like the Wawona, it will be cheaper to just build a new vessel from scratch. 3 million gets her torn apart and half finished.
The legal fees to defend yourself from the Congressional Committee investigation are going to cost more than the salary. Remember the Wapama.

Ian G Wright
02-27-2002, 05:22 AM
Once you get started with the new guy, if you can find him, you won't want him bothered with rubberneckers and tourists will you? So this is my deal...
For the same price I will wander about the place looking salty, sucking on my old pipe, wearing a smock and seaboots being short with strangers.
You can put me on the books as Ships Character.

IanW.

Dale Harvey
02-27-2002, 09:54 AM
Dave, if you DON'T volunteer for this project, just think how it going to end up. Do you really want to see what will happen when some unqualified idiot picks up this job and botches it badly? Wouldn't you really LIKE to be in an offical position to stick it to the Park Service? There are some benifits that are worth more than money if properly managed. Between you and Cleek you should be able to give them hemmeroids at least!

Dave Fleming
02-27-2002, 12:23 PM
Ok, I just got off the phone with a Mariah Cribben,the contact listed on the job web site
The impression I am getting is that so far NO ONE has submitted an application for the job!
She/Hyde St.Pier are assured that the funding for this project is forth coming and based on that they are going ahead with this hiring process.
I spoke to her about re-location allowance and her comment was along the lines of well the job with bennies is closer to 100K,as you are considered a full status Fed employee for the duration. I don't need any medical/dental/eye care as my wife is a surgury coordinator for Kaiser Permanente down here in San Diego.
But what the hell its no big deal to submit an application and we will see what comes of it.
What the hell, or so says I
:rolleyes:

RGM
03-01-2002, 12:36 PM
So Dave, how's your blood pressure these days? The job would be a nightmare for the money that they are offering. A paltry some for playing middleman between Government agencies (there will be more than one involved, sounds like three, none of which will know if their ass is punched or bored) a shipyard with what will probably turn out to have a very shallow talent pool and what will turn out to be a host of vendors, subcontractors and snake oil salesman. All in the high priced S.F. area. Apparently some part of the government called "Defense Logistics" as been given the task of procuring materials. I understand the decking is in a mill in Washington state somewhere. What exactly are the materials? Who determined what the appropriate materials are? Been there, done that. The project is severely underfunded so far, they figure they got enough for the first couple years. If you do this, make sure that you try to secure some understanding (contractually) with regard to overtime conditions and compensation. Don't get locked into a flat salary. There will be alot of 10 to 12 hour days and some weekend work. Since there is federal money involved I'm sure that there will be a few shipyards up and down the West coast looking forward to at least having an opportunity to formally bid on the project in a month or two. It could get interesting. I wonder if the vessel is in any shape to be towed? Probably not. I've got a beautiful picture of the THAYER drydocked at Lake Union Drydock in Seattle getting worked on. Good luck Dave.

Dave Fleming
03-01-2002, 01:48 PM
Blood Pressure this last Wednesday at MD was 115 over 59 but weight is up a bit at 236 with clothes on.
I am sending further comments to you via e-mail.

;)

[ 03-01-2002, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Dave Fleming ]

Bob Cleek
03-13-2002, 01:38 PM
Well, the good news is that they are doing something about it. The bad news is that they waited too long. Can it be done? Sure, if you pump enough money into it. Of course, if they spent about what they are spending now to fly a cruise missle up some Afghani camel's ass on her twenty-five years ago, they'd be way ahead. Remembering Harry Dring's years of grief, I can't say I'd admire the bastard who takes the job. Try running that kind of a heavy construction project and keeping the chantey singers happy at the same time! The worst of it won't be getting it done, but once she's ship shape, standing by with your hands tied and watching her start deteriorating all over again. The project makes no sense unless there is funding for ongoing maintenance into the future. If the rest of their "fleet" is any indication, the NPS isn't going to do much in that respect. You can't expect to keep a fleet of old wooden ships afloat if the job is run by a bunch of bureaucrats and Navajo pot collectors in Smokey the Bear hats.

johnh94927
03-13-2002, 01:45 PM
Y'know, I think I might apply for this job. First thing, we fiberglass the decks... :cool:

Dave Fleming
03-13-2002, 02:37 PM
Nah Johnxxxxxx,
The commute to and, I'm guessing here, to Alameda, Bay Ship, would kill ya in short order.
Down 101 to the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge then over to 80 and creep and crawl down to the Alameda tunnel and back again?
Yech, I recall doing it from the little house we had on Novak Drive down to the Estuary, the Oakland side, to Pacific Drydock and it was a killer. Finally hooked up with a fellow who lived in San Fran and took the Marin bus down to the AC terminal and met him and we trucked it over the Bay Bridge against the traffic heading into SF..
Down side was the seats in those damn busses were so close only an African Bushman would be comfortable in one. Good thing we had/have 3 strong young sons to rub their daddy's back at the end of the day. And that was in the 1970's too! Ya folla? ;)

Thaddeus J. Van Gilder
03-13-2002, 02:45 PM
sounds like a tempting offer, If there was more money that could be dumpted in to her IV...

johnh94927
03-13-2002, 07:16 PM
It would be worth it just to stabilize that deck, though, doncha think? then we could pull a plug from the hull... :cool: