PDA

View Full Version : Our Universities

ccmanuals
11-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Our colleges and universities are supposed to be centers for enlightenment and learning. Apparantly, someone didn't get the memo.

One of the more disturbing reactions to President Obama's re-election occurred on the campus of the University of Mississippi. According to WMC-TV Action News (http://www.wmctv.com/story/20025451/riots-brew-on-ole-miss-campus), nearly 400 students protested and held riots in their opposition to President Obama's return to Pennsylvania Ave. An "Obama/Biden 2012" campaign sign was set on fire and the protests quickly grew from a few dozen to a few hundred. Multiple witnesses note that racial slurs were being yelled and students were allegedly throwing rocks at cars, but the Chancellor disputed some of these claims in a written statement (http://gawker.com/5958525/ole-miss-students-are-none-too-pleased-about-our-black-president).

"The reports of the use of racial language by some have been confirmed by our campus police. The University leadership strongly condemns this kind of behavior and is embarrassed that any students associated with the university would use this kind of language. Our university creed calls for the respect of each individual and for fairness and civility. The investigation of this event will be thorough and individuals found in violation of any law will be referred to appropriate authorities. Individuals found in violation of university policy will be dealt with appropriately through the student conduct process."

Kaa
11-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Our colleges and universities are supposed to be centers for enlightenment and learning. Apparantly, someone didn't get the memo.

Do tell me you were as upset when there were even more excited protests against the election of Bush Jr... :-D

Kaa

ccmanuals
11-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Do tell me you were as upset when there were even more excited protests against the election of Bush Jr... :-D

Kaa

Really, that's all you got?

Peerie Maa
11-08-2012, 01:08 PM

Kaa

Was there any evidence of hate speech against woody garden plants or bonobos?

Kaa
11-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Really, that's all you got?

Eh?

Kaa

Ian McColgin
11-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Kaa knows that he's indulging in false equivalancy to compare the policy driven protests against election by Supreme Court with the flat out honestly racist stuff at Old Miss the other night. The real disgrace is that he'd even try to excuse it, with deniability of course.

Kaa
11-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Kaa knows that he's indulging in false equivalancy to compare the policy driven protests against election by Supreme Court with the flat out honestly racist stuff at Old Miss the other night. The real disgrace is that he'd even try to excuse it, with deniability of course.

LOL. A real disgrace to the Bilge I am :-D I haven't looked up what UMiss (would be a great name, btw) did, but the protests against Bush Jr. weren't "policy driven", they were driven by hate and they weren't shy about it.

Kaa

seanz
11-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Kaa

You realize that, with that sort of attitude, you're just encouraging people to complain all the time about everything?

Ian McColgin
11-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Kaa, of course there was plenty of hatred for Bush's policies and his lies and even a bit for him as a person, but there was no racism to it. The Old Miss bit is an open outbreak of the racism that is tainting the political process and will not be over till the Republican party determines that racists have no place in their party.

Kaa
11-08-2012, 03:12 PM
You realize that, with that sort of attitude, you're just encouraging people to complain all the time about everything?

"Harris said I encouraged him. I didn’t encourage him. A dog like that don’t want any encouragement. It’s the natural, original sin that is born in him that makes him do things like that."

:-D

Bonus points for knowing the origin of the quote :-)

Kaa

Kaa
11-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Kaa, of course there was plenty of hatred for Bush's policies and his lies and even a bit for him as a person, but there was no racism to it. The Old Miss bit is an open outbreak of the racism that is tainting the political process and will not be over till the Republican party determines that racists have no place in their party.

Oh, so non-racial hatred is fine?

As to an open outbreak of racism, may I remind you that 95% of the black voters voted for the candidate of their own race. Amazing correlation between the color of the skin and the party affiliation, dont'cha think?

Kaa

seanz
11-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Oh, so non-racial hatred is fine?

As to an open outbreak of racism, may I remind you that 95% of the black voters voted for the candidate of their own race. Amazing correlation between the color of the skin and the party affiliation, dont'cha think?

Kaa

See, the first part is very enlightened and progressive, not so for the second part. ;) Though it is a valid observation it might not be racism but rather a defense against it.

Ian McColgin
11-08-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that Kaa is making his sympathies clear.

Kaa
11-08-2012, 03:20 PM

My sympathies are towards goose = gander equivalencies :-P

Kaa

seanz
11-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that Kaa is just stirring the pot.

B_B
11-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Yes, he's sympathizing with trolls. Y'all should know that by now.

Kaa
11-08-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that Kaa is just stirring the pot.

But how else are you going to insure proper mixing on the ingredients and the intermarriage of flavours?!

Besides, it's thick enough so that if you don't stir the bottom burns :-P

Kaa

skuthorp
11-08-2012, 03:46 PM
It's a University, lately political discourse of any sort has been in short supply in universities so I view an demonstration on any subject at a uni. a good sign.

Ted Hoppe
11-08-2012, 03:59 PM
it would be interesting to know how many of those protesters were on the current GI bill... I bet 0.

JBreeze
11-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Our colleges and universities are supposed to be centers for enlightenment and learning. ....
Our universities seem to have a diverse set of problems related to "enlightenment and learning."

Here is what is happening in the Ivys':

Faust Addresses Cheating Scandal

...Faust told The Crimson that she believed the issue had sparked an important discussion about cheating in higher education, pointing to peer institutions like Brown and Princeton that have revisited the issue on their campuses in the past month.

“People have written widely about it in ways that I think are very important,” said Faust. “I’m glad that that conversation was seeded by our actions.”

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2012/10/4/faust-talks-cheating/

Ian McColgin
11-08-2012, 07:03 PM
There is no equivalancy to the moral problem of cheating or the political/moral problems of direct action and the racism of the Mississippi students. Not even a little. To pretend there is any equivalancy is to take part in the racism. Even if some of your best friends are . . .