PDA

View Full Version : Real politics

Dan McCosh
11-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Michigan has one of the largest and best-paid state legislatures in the country, which arguably make it the worst value for the dollar. Anyway, gerrymandered districts, term limitations and the poor economy have created a flood of wannabees seeking state office. Among them was Brian Banks, who ran as a Democrat in a district that now straddles Grosse Pointe Woods and Shores, plus a portion of the City of Detroit and another suburb. His background includes eight felony fraud charges, mainly bad checks and credit card fraud. He won the seat, but to qualify as a resident of the district, he had rented a house in Harper Woods. Now the landlord is complaining that he paid the rent with a bad check.

Dumah
11-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Ain't that part of "The American Dream? :d

Cheers, Dumah,
Halifax, NS

Paul Pless
11-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Can't you just be happy that Matty Maroun's ballot proposal failed? :D

Seriously, my experience is with Alabama politics which is largely back room, and often devoid of partisanship; but Michigan's state and Detroit's politics have floored me. I find the governor to be a breath of fresh air, in both his competency and his ability to remove himself from the Republican legislature's daily shenanigans. . .

Ian McColgin
Term limits have been sold to the unthinking as a solution to something. Really they are the finest thing for vested interests since they leave it to lobbeyists to be the only ones who know what's going on.

Gerarddm
Isn't Grosse Pointe Woods awash with moolah? Makes no sense.

Dan McCosh
11-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Isn't Grosse Pointe Woods awash with moolah? Makes no sense. I mentioned that the district is gerrymandered. My U.S. Congressman is John Conyers, and Grosse Pointe is in the second poorest congressional district in the U.S. (Think how poor that would be without Grosse Pointe.) This particular seat is conceded to Democrats, while the adjacent distritrict was created to add a Republican seat. Republicans and Democrats carve out districts to insure "safe" seats for their party, which makes for some pretty strange geography, as well as bedfellows. Might add that Grosse Pointe Woods is mainly a middle-income suburb, although the Shores has some extravagant housing.