Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian McColgin
    • Apr 1999

Stealing the election

We have different vote fraud and vote suppression efforts coming to light around the nation. Perhaps we should keep a list. Here's one from Raw Story.

Oregon election worker fired for altering ballots to Republican straight ticket

By David Edwards
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 10:15 EST

An election worker in Oregon is facing a criminal investigation for allegedly altering multiple ballots to benefit Republican candidates.

In a press release on Monday, Clackamas County spokesperson Tim Heider said that 55-year-old Deanna Swenson had been “relieved of duty immediately after the alleged ballot tampering was discovered.”

Swenson, who was registered as a Republican, was accused of filling in a Republican straight ticket on ballots where voters did not specify a choice.

Contacted by Willamette Week, Swenson tearfully insisted that it was “only the two” ballots that had been altered.

The Oregon Department of Justice began an investigation last week after an elections official reportedly observed ballots being altered.

“At this point, it is unclear how many ballots the employee at issue had access to, or what will be done with those ballots,” the sheriff’s office said on Monday.

At a Monday emergency meeting, officials in Clackamas County announced that the altered ballots would not be counted. Since ballots were anonymous, disenfranchised voters would not be given a chance to re-cast their votes.

Swenson has worked in elections since at least 2000, according to the Clackamas County spokesperson.

Blue Oregon’s Kari Chisholm reported that the Oregon City woman’s Facebook page indicated she “liked” various conservative personalities, candidates and organizations including the Republican National Committee, The Tea Party, Paul Ryan VP, the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC), Ann Romney and Fox News.

If convicted of a Class C felony for ballot tampering, Swenson could face five years in prison and a fine of up to $125,000.

Raw Story (http://s.tt/1sglR)
  • BrianY
    Left Wing Extremist
    • Apr 2004

Re: Stealing the election

ANYONE - Dem or repub - who is caught doing stuff like this should go to jail. No exceptions.
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Comment

• John of Phoenix
      • Jun 2001

If convicted of a Class C felony for ballot tampering, Swenson could face five years in prison and a fine of up to $125,000.
      And, ironically, lose the right to vote.

Comment

• RichKrough
        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Ian McColgin

..........If convicted of a Class C felony for ballot tampering, Swenson could face five years in prison and a fine of up to $125,000.
        In other words she will a book deal and a spot on Fox News.

Comment

• wardd
          • Sep 2009

We have different vote fraud and vote suppression efforts coming to light around the nation. Perhaps we should keep a list. Here's one from Raw Story.

Oregon election worker fired for altering ballots to Republican straight ticket

By David Edwards
          Tuesday, November 6, 2012 10:15 EST

An election worker in Oregon is facing a criminal investigation for allegedly altering multiple ballots to benefit Republican candidates.

In a press release on Monday, Clackamas County spokesperson Tim Heider said that 55-year-old Deanna Swenson had been “relieved of duty immediately after the alleged ballot tampering was discovered.”

Swenson, who was registered as a Republican, was accused of filling in a Republican straight ticket on ballots where voters did not specify a choice.

Contacted by Willamette Week, Swenson tearfully insisted that it was “only the two” ballots that had been altered.

The Oregon Department of Justice began an investigation last week after an elections official reportedly observed ballots being altered.

“At this point, it is unclear how many ballots the employee at issue had access to, or what will be done with those ballots,” the sheriff’s office said on Monday.

At a Monday emergency meeting, officials in Clackamas County announced that the altered ballots would not be counted. Since ballots were anonymous, disenfranchised voters would not be given a chance to re-cast their votes.

Swenson has worked in elections since at least 2000, according to the Clackamas County spokesperson.

Blue Oregon’s Kari Chisholm reported that the Oregon City woman’s Facebook page indicated she “liked” various conservative personalities, candidates and organizations including the Republican National Committee, The Tea Party, Paul Ryan VP, the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC), Ann Romney and Fox News.

Raw Story (http://s.tt/1sglR)
          did she have proper photo id to vote?

Comment

• David W Pratt
            • May 2005

Interestingly the left wing democraticunderground.com and the right wing Theblaze.com are both in a froth about voter fraud, by the other side

Comment

• Lew Barrett
              Landlocked
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by David W Pratt
              Interestingly the left wing democraticunderground.com and the right wing Theblaze.com are both in a froth about voter fraud, by the other side
              Froth worthy regardless the side.
              One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                • Apr 1999

And there's an interesting difference in reporting actual events and inventive fabrications. In short, #7 is an example of how the radical right is winning the war of false equivalancy.

Comment

• Canoez
                  Did I say that out loud?
                  • Sep 2007

I had my identity challenged at the poll this morning by a "poll watcher" of unknown origin.

The woman who was the election official checking me in was my 6th grade teacher. She turned to the poll watcher and said, "I've known this young man for over 30 years and I will vouch for his identity! (Oh, by the way, how is your father doing? )" The poll watcher became pale and sat back in her seat, but said nothing more. I'm pretty sure that 90% of the people in line to vote were known by one of the two election officials sitting at the table. Good luck on challenging identities.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                  -William A. Ward

Comment

• George Jung
                    • Jan 2004

Who was the poll watcher? On what basis were you challenged? That's just bizarre!
                    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                      Landlocked
                      • Dec 2005

And there's an interesting difference in reporting actual events and inventive fabrications. In short, #7 is an example of how the radical right is winning the war of false equivalancy.
                      I gave him the benefit of the doubt. You are spot on about false equivalency.
                      One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• Canoez
                        Did I say that out loud?
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by George Jung
                        Who was the poll watcher? On what basis were you challenged? That's just bizarre!
                        I have no idea who she was or who she represented. After I said my address and then my name (which I really didn't need to with Jean working there...), the woman said that she wanted to see some form of personal identification to verify my name and address. It was bizzarre, but the transaction was all very quick.
                        "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                        -William A. Ward

Comment

• Gerarddm
                          #RESIST
                          • Feb 2010

There IS no equivalency.
                          Gerard>
                          Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Nicholas Carey
                            Flâneur • Seattle
                            • Feb 2001

Here in Washington state, we vote by mail, you can either mail your ballot in or drop it off at a number of select locations. Often the drop boxes are rather busy at peak periods.

The GOP here in King County got a fleet of white Ford vans (identical to those used by the King County Board of Elections for ballot transport). They set up shop at select drop box locations, offering to transport voters' ballots for them to the Board of Elections ("Nice ballot you've got there...be a shame if something were to happen to it"). The board of elections was not amused. Apparently, this sort of activity is not illegal, but tampering with, waylaying or destruction of ballots would be a felony.
                            “The big joke on democracy is that it gives its mortal enemies the tools to its own destruction,” Goebbels said as the Nazis rose to power—one of those quotes that sound apocryphal but are not.​
                            — Adam Gopnik

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                              • May 2002

Originally posted by George Jung
                              yes! did Canoez do something of a protesting nature to draw attention to himself? (I am suspicious)

edited to clear up my mistake...

based on what was said, I would say she represented the pro-ID faction
                              Last edited by Phillip Allen; 11-07-2012, 04:39 PM.
                              The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
                              Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

Working...