PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg turned down National Guard assistance...

BrianW
11-05-2012, 07:52 AM
..because they have guns?

On Coney Island’s Mermaid Avenue, looters took advantage of the killer storm by robbing and plundering local businesses.

Joann's Discount Wine and Liquors was targeted in broad daylight Tuesday morning, with looters using tools to open the steel gates and breaking the glass before helping themselves to thousands of dollars in top-shelf booze.

“It was complete lawlessness,” said Ron Troyano, owner of the business for 30 years. “They went straight for the Hennessy and Grey Goose."

By the time he arrived at 1 a.m., the store’s stock was almost entirely gone. What the looters didn't take the flood damaged -- and he doesn't know when he will reopen.

"We are supposed to come together as a community during times of crisis, not pick at each other like vultures," said Troyano. "Next time I'm getting a gun."
The looters also stole food, drinks and the cash register from a Mermaid Ave. market, and used shopping carts to empty the shelves at a Rite-Aid Pharmacy.

“They didn't even look worried,” said one store employee who declined to give her name. “They looked like they were casually shopping. They looked almost happy. I saw an elderly lady waking away with batteries and a bag of Kit Kats.”

The mayor disagreed with Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz's call for a bigger National Guard presence in the borough.

“The NYPD is the only people we want on the street with guns," Bloomberg said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/president-vows-sandy-victims-article-1.1195362#ixzz2BLtAczvJ

The National Guard are suppose to be the good guys. I'm a bit surprised by that call.

Kaa
11-05-2012, 01:19 PM
The National Guard are suppose to be the good guys. I'm a bit surprised by that call.

Bloomberg is a control freak and the National Guard won't necessarily do what he tells them to do.

Kaa

Joe (SoCal)
11-05-2012, 01:30 PM
We didn't need the NG and they did as Bloomberg requested ( told ) them to do.
NYC has probably the largest and most efficient PD & FD in the world. oh and the NYPD probably has more firepower than the nearest NG base ;)

He is a controle freak but he back down on the marathon and listened to his constituents.