Bobby of Tulsa
11-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Who said it wasn't? :)

S/V Laura Ellen
11-04-2012, 10:16 AM
It is one of the major food groups

Ian McColgin
11-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Because only effete twits eat bacon with knife and fork.

Edited to add - I misread the OP, specificly somehow upended misconstrued the "isn't". Well, it is true that bacon is most often served as part of something - sandwich, sprinkled on salad or deviled eggs, etc. And it's rare that you'll see a plate of bacon, nothing but bacon, at a cocktail party or wedding reception. But when you get bacon and eggs, bacon is the part you pick up with your left hand while goobering some egg atop a bit of potato with your right hand held fork. And real men put a pound of bacon on the platter between them while kicking back with a coupld of frosties and a John Wayne western.

Gerarddm
11-04-2012, 10:19 AM
To paraphrase Homer Simpson: ​Mmmmm... BACON............ ( drools )

Peerie Maa
11-04-2012, 10:26 AM
A bit messy
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li7l8kXqz31qbt4w2.jpg
but yummy :D

elf
11-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Jamie, Jamie? Where are you, Jamie?

S/V Laura Ellen
11-04-2012, 10:36 AM
The simple solution to bacon as finger food is to put it on a bun.

http://aylard.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/600/peameal-2330.jpg

The bun accomplishes a few things:
absorbs the excess grease and keeps it from dripping down your arms (Bacon grease tastes good so you don't want to waste any)
keeps the mustard on the bacon

and the best part is that you also get to scarf a few (or more) pieces as finger food while you prepare the bun.

Tom Montgomery
11-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Mmmm.... Right about now a maple bacon donut would hit the spot!

Think of the state of Kentucky, despite its Southern accent and Southern ways, as the paunch hanging over the Midwestern bakery belt, the last calorie-filled province in an enormous swath of territory where the glazed twist, the apple fritter, the chocolate-iced Long John and the vanilla-cream Bismarck hold sway.

There is no maple bacon doughnut on that list. But you can find one at Nord's Bakery in Louisville….

Nord's is a venerable -- and venerated -- bakery on the edge of Germantown, near the University of Louisville. There's a small cafe area in the rear, but the action swirls around the display cases up front. The straight-ahead glazed yeast doughnuts, in toroidal and twist forms, are dark, fragrant and honeyed, a quality that should not be confused with cloying sweetness. They set the tone for a procession of all-stars, led by the toasted-coconut Long Johns.

The maple bacon doughnut, a local favorite that sells out fast, is alarmingly literal. This is a rectangular yeast doughnut smeared with maple icing and topped with a hefty strip of fried bacon -- one of those what-the-hell taste experiences not for the faint of heart.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/176822781.html?refer=y

David G
11-04-2012, 11:44 AM
The simple solution to bacon as finger food is to put it on a bun.

http://aylard.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/600/peameal-2330.jpg

The bun accomplishes a few things:
absorbs the excess grease and keeps it from dripping down your arms (Bacon grease tastes good so you don't want to waste any)
keeps the mustard on the bacon

and the best part is that you also get to scarf a few (or more) pieces as finger food while you prepare the bun.

That was my breakfast this morning. Bacon & eggs on two of my home-made cheddar muffins. Mmmmmm...

S.V. Airlie
11-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Jamie, Jamie? Where are you, Jamie?I'm here listening in. Didn't think I had to comment on bacon...any kind of bacon...bacon cooked any way known to man. Don't you all have heard of bacon ice cream?

Rich Jones
11-04-2012, 01:34 PM
My wife is something of a "healthy food only" type of person. Of course, she also forces this philosophy onto me.
The other day, she made a quiche with a little bit of bacon in it. Rather than let the rest of it rot in the fridge, she allowed me to fry up the rest of the pound and make a huge bacon sandwich for lunch. Pure heaven! I'll cherish the memory, dreaming of the day in the dim, far, far future when she'll let me do it again.

David W Pratt
11-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Take some thin sliced, center cut bacon, cut bacon in half
Massage brown sugar and cayenne pepper to taste into the bacon
Line a cookie pan with aluminum foil (facilitates clean up)
Put cooling rack on foil, put bacon on rack
Cook in 300 degree oven until crispy
Bacon finger food

B_B
11-04-2012, 01:50 PM
My wife is something of a "healthy food only" type of person. Of course, she also forces this philosophy onto me.
The other day, she made a quiche with a little bit of bacon in it. Rather than let the rest of it rot in the fridge, she allowed me to fry up the rest of the pound and make a huge bacon sandwich for lunch. Pure heaven! I'll cherish the memory, dreaming of the day in the dim, far, far future when she'll let me do it again.
Ha! I keep telling my kids the only way they'll appreciate their Halloween candy is if they get to look forward to the one piece a day they can have....they loathe me too! ;)

Concordia...41
11-04-2012, 02:05 PM
My daughter-in-law has a black t-shirt with the periodic table of elements symbol of Bacon

"Ba"

I have bacon lolipops, which I couldn't touch and hand to the clerk without making an "ewwwww" face, for her stocking :)

wharf rat
11-04-2012, 03:22 PM
The local grocery store's deli sells bacon by the strip. They cook a 100 strips in the morning and they're pretty much gone by 10am. Only .54 cents each. Two donuts, two strips of bacon....hmmmm...breakfast.

Farfalla
11-04-2012, 04:04 PM
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/147/356271244_de42e21d51_z.jpg

S/V Laura Ellen
11-04-2012, 04:07 PM
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/147/356271244_de42e21d51_z.jpg

He'd look great on a spit over low heat for about 18 hrs.

Paul Pless
11-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Sophie, ever the contrarian. . .

Tom Montgomery
11-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Did my food have a face? No doubt. Even a fish has a face.

Would that domestic animal have existed were it not for my insatiable appetite for animal protein? Likely not.

That hog owes his life to me and mine to his.

Farfalla
11-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Sophie, ever the contrarian. . .

No !! Sophie, someone who thinks about issues and excepts the conclusions not the convenience of self serving blindness.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7260/8155321763_17fca7110c.jpg

Farfalla
11-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Did my food have a face? No doubt. Even a fish has a face.

Would that animal have existed were it not for my insatiable appetite for animal protein? Likely not.

That hog owes his life to me and mine to his.

Would it have lived a life of suffering and brutality only to end up slaughtered in pain at a very young age just to satisfy the desires of a bunch of rich people. Substitute human child in that sentence and you have something a whole lot nastier to our conscience but equally as nasty!!

Paul Pless
11-04-2012, 04:25 PM
No !! Sophie, someone who thinks about issues and excepts the conclusions not the convenience of self serving blindness.maybe i should have used an emoticon to indicate sarcasm. . .

For god's sake woman, its a frikkin BACON thread!

Paul Pless
11-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Would it have lived a life of suffering and brutality only to end up slaughtered in pain at a very young age. . .taking the 'life of suffering and brutality', into account, maybe the being slaughtered at a young age is a good thing, don't you think?

seanz
11-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Corn has ears. Think about it man, think about it.....

Farfalla
11-04-2012, 04:30 PM
maybe i should have used an emoticon to indicate sarcasm. . .

For god's sake woman, its a frikkin BACON thread!

And so !! What is your point? You think I shouldn't comment on a frikkin bacon thread??:d

leikec
11-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Corn has ears. Think about it man, think about it.....

It should be written this way: corn has ears!! It's very important to put one or two exclamation points after every sentence for maximum trolling power...

Jeff C

Farfalla
11-04-2012, 04:32 PM
taking the 'life of suffering and brutality', into account, maybe the being slaughtered at a young age is a good thing, don't you think?

Not breeding it for that purpose in the first place would have generated far less suffering!!

I have jys had a far more interesting offer than debating with all you old "carrion eaters", so I'll get back to this another time:d

Peerie Maa
11-04-2012, 04:34 PM
No !! Sophie, someone who thinks about issues and excepts the conclusions not the convenience of self serving blindness.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7260/8155321763_17fca7110c.jpg

If you eat carnivores you risk new variant CJD. Its those prions you know. They do build up.

purri
11-04-2012, 04:49 PM
oink...
Not breeding it for that purpose in the first place would have generated far less suffering!!

I have jys had a far more interesting offer than debating with all you old "carrion eaters", so I'll get back to this another time:d

LeeG
11-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Cat bacon would make for too small of strips

mariner2k
11-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Damned, I just got through feeding the neighbors pigs, cute little guys. But....I did have ham for breakfast. I could never be a butcher.

B_B
11-04-2012, 05:25 PM
...Only .54 cents each.....hmmmm...
hmmmm indeed! That's danged cheap. ;)

Bob Adams
11-04-2012, 05:26 PM
I firmly beleive in PETA.....

People Eating Tasty Animals.

Tom Montgomery
11-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Would it have lived a life of suffering and brutality only to end up slaughtered in pain at a very young age just to satisfy the desires of a bunch of rich people.
I think that is a VERY important point!

I am the offspring of generations of farmers. I believe that modern factory farm practices are, frankly, immoral. Domestic animals exist because of us and so we bear a tremendous responsibility toward their welfare.

But our responsibility extends beyond our humane responsibility toward livestock. I think it is criminal that supermarket poultry is so contaminated that human beings are at risk for food poisoning if the product is not handled carefully.

All of this does not make me a vegetarian. All this makes me an informed consumer who is willing to pay extra for animal protein that was humanely raised.

But money talks. Until the majority of consumers not only DEMAND humanely raised animal protein free of anti-biotics but are ALSO WILLING to spend the extra dollars for the product, nothing significant will change.

I live where I have a choice. Not everyone does, unfortunately.

seanz
11-04-2012, 07:24 PM
It should be written this way: corn has ears!! It's very important to put one or two exclamation points after every sentence for maximum trolling power...

Jeff C

That's just the way I t-roll...........

David G
11-04-2012, 09:59 PM
The local grocery store's deli sells bacon by the strip. They cook a 100 strips in the morning and they're pretty much gone by 10am. Only .54 cents each. Two donuts, two strips of bacon....hmmmm...breakfast.

I've not seen that. What town? What store? Might be worth a visit when I'm at the coast sometime. Here in Portland, Voodoo Donuts offers a maple bar topped with bacon strips. It is really, really good.

Old Dryfoot
11-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Let the rabbits wear glasses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLv_yc4fPBc

Old Dryfoot
11-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Here in Portland, Voodoo Donuts offers a maple bar topped with bacon strips. It is really, really good.
I've had one of those, it didn't work for me. I was shocked too, I love bacon and I'm a push over for donuts.

David G
11-05-2012, 12:06 AM
I've had one of those, it didn't work for me. I was shocked too, I love bacon and I'm a push over for donuts.

The young lady I was with the first time I tried them had the same reaction. She said it was 'too weird'.

Old Dryfoot
11-05-2012, 12:55 AM
I do weird too... still nothing.

In the donuts defence, it had traveled from Portland to here so it wasn't quite "store fresh". I do think if it had been made with either more bacon, or less icing, I'd have called it a winner. :D

Gerarddm
11-05-2012, 02:55 AM
Those pig photos remind me of a statement supposedly made once by the cantankerous Grace Slick of the Jefferson Airplane.

When pressed why she wasn't a vegetarian, she snarled back, 'because I'm at the top of the god d___ food chain'.

Uncle Duke
11-05-2012, 11:01 AM
http://www.djibnet.com/photo/358317592-there-s-plenty-of-room-for-all-god-s-creatures-right-next-to-the-mashed-potatoes.jpg

wharf rat
11-05-2012, 11:17 AM
I've not seen that. What town? What store? Might be worth a visit when I'm at the coast sometime. Here in Portland, Voodoo Donuts offers a maple bar topped with bacon strips. It is really, really good.

Shop Smart, Harbor, about 6 miles north of the California border. Time your visit however, they're gone by about 10 am.

The bacon donut from Voodoo doesn't do anything for me either. But honestly I haven't found many of their donuts very satisfying to my tastes.

But an apple fritter with a strip on the side...or even just a plain raised glazed. Yeah.

David G
11-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Shop Smart, Harbor, about 6 miles north of the California border. Time your visit however, they're gone by about 10 am.

The bacon donut from Voodoo doesn't do anything for me either. But honestly I haven't found many of their donuts very satisfying to my tastes.

But an apple fritter with a strip on the side...or even just a plain raised glazed. Yeah.

Some of Voodoo Donuts selection, I love. Some are more visual effect than gustatory delight.

beernd
11-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Yesterday I arrested a platefull of bacon on rye bread.
It's locked op securely in my fridge and it will go to trial this night.
Maybe the jury (me) will let it walk, but don't hold your breath ;)

beernd
11-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Cat bacon would make for too small of strips

Cat meat on the other hand, is said to be very tender and Yummy.

Kaa
11-05-2012, 01:22 PM
I can wholeheartedly recommend scallops wrapped in bacon with a bit of maple syrup (at least in the St.John, NB rendition) :-)

Otherwise, "Vegetables are not food. Vegetables are what food eats" :-D

Kaa