PDA

View Full Version : Florida Early Voting

ccmanuals
11-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Apparently voting in Florida is still jacked up and I'm talking early voting. This is really a disgrace.

Curtism
11-03-2012, 02:59 AM
Yeah, they're pulling out all the stops this year and partying like its 1999 (back when the leading Republican candidate’s brother was our Governor).

Let me see if I can flesh out some of what CC is probably referring to here.

First they cut days of early voting down from 14 we had in ‘08 down to 8 days total. (Budget concerns ya know?) The contrast has been stark between the previous Governor who ordered the extension of early voting days and longer hours, to the current one who has made every effort to shorten hours and days the polls will be open. His initial proposals were so drastic that elections officials, many whom are Republicans, openly refused to comply with the new restrictions. Otherwise we could have ended up with less hours than we ended up getting.

They eliminated the last Sunday before the election, a day that's historically had the largest voter turnout among poorer districts, due in part to churches organizing busses to take poor and elderly parishioners to the polling places, those who might not have had transportation otherwise. Those were also districts that largely voted for Democrats in the last national election, incidentally.

On top of that, our ballots this year have 11 proposed amendments to the state constitution that were written in such a manner that anyone without a law degree would have trouble deciphering the language. They initially wrote the amendments for the ballots in such a vague, abbreviated manner that the State Supreme Court shot them down, ruling that some of the original wording and titles seemed to say the opposite of their true intent and would be confusing for voters. So the legislature resolved the issue by printing amendments on the ballots in their entirety, which resulted in ballots that were 4 to 6 pages long.

In districts that require ballots to be printed in English and Spanish, the ballots contained twice as many pages and are reported to be taking some voters as much as thirty minutes to fill out. This naturally leads to longer wait times and cuts down on opportunities for working people to access the polls.

Local papers have been trashing the 11 amendments for exactly what they are; ALEC sponsored, draconian power grabs that would enable the right-wing to further their agendas, virtually unhindered by an impartial justice system. The Tampa Bay Times has daily, for weeks now, been publishing the recommendation that voters vote down all 11 proposals.

Some of this has already backfired as pastors of various churches are organizing rallies and arranging busses that normally ran on Sunday in 08, for Saturday (today), the last day of early voting, and are offering rides to anyone who can make their way to pick-up sites at local churches.

Another thing that's working in the voters favor is, since Sandy blew by the other coast last week we've had a cool front which led to mild daytime temps around 70, steady breezes and clear blue skies. In other words, it's perfect weather for standing in long lines outdoors. Admittedly I’ve been enjoying the “Chamber of Commerce weather”, especially at a time when the CofC was probably wishing for the type of weather we had during the RNC.

Hopefully a majority of voters will step up and send a loud message to this radical Tparty governor, the right wing legislature and all their handlers. This would be a good chance for people to voice their displeasure and, judging by the high turnout so far, voters are taking advantage of the opportunity. One can only hope . . .

skuthorp
11-03-2012, 06:17 AM
And all this rigging of the election isn't criminal behaviour punishable by a big fine at lest if not jail and removal from office?

PeterSibley
11-03-2012, 07:04 AM
America's version of democracy is very Bjelke Petersen Jeff.

Shang
11-03-2012, 07:39 AM
I started to say, "have they no shame," but the answer is clear...they don't.
The right wing is determined to buy the election or steal it.

mdh
11-03-2012, 07:58 AM
When it was restricted to male property owners it worked pretty well.

ccmanuals
11-03-2012, 09:28 AM
To add a little to what my friend John explained above there has been widespread problems with mail in ballots and ballot miss printing.

Phillip Allen
11-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I started to say, "have they no shame," but the answer is clear...they don't.
The right wing is determined to buy the election or steal it.

Speaking of 'no shame', I remember the dead people voting in Chicago... don't you?

if you want it fixed, you cannot play favorites

wardd
11-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Speaking of 'no shame', I remember the dead people voting in Chicago... don't you?

and we all know, republicans never play favorites

John Smith
11-03-2012, 10:12 AM
And all this rigging of the election isn't criminal behaviour punishable by a big fine at lest if not jail and removal from office?

Nope! This is what you get when you put Republicans in charge of states. This S**t is happening all across the country in state controlled by Republicans. The Republicans are training "poll watchers" with misinformation as to the laws of the state they weill be "watching" in.

This is cheating, and it's lying for politcal gain. I'd call it criminal. Sadly, as a nation, we call it free speech and accept it as such, I believe, at our great peril.

John Smith
11-03-2012, 10:14 AM

I remember a lot of claims about dead people voting. That would be "in person" voter fraud, which no one has produced any evidence of. That would indicate there is NO evidence of dead people voting.

ALL OF THE CHEATING EFFORTS today are by Republicans. That's not partisanship; that is fact.

Phillip Allen
11-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I remember a lot of claims about dead people voting. That would be "in person" voter fraud, which no one has produced any evidence of. That would indicate there is NO evidence of dead people voting.

ALL OF THE CHEATING EFFORTS today are by Republicans. That's not partisanship; that is fact.

I guess that's all the proof John needs... a simple statement of fact (no doubt Snopes will agree)

Meli
11-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Ummm. Why don't you guys have a federal electoral office that lay's down the rules uniformly across the country?
This is weird for a democracy that the "rules" can be different in different states for voting in a federal election.
(Actually our state and local elections are run by the federal electoral office as well)

ccmanuals
11-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Just heard there were people standing in lines for over 7 hours to vote in some parts of Broward and Dade county. Also, Federal Judges have intervened and they are extending early voting.

Tom Montgomery
11-04-2012, 08:35 PM
No I do not.

You have repeated this old saw any number of times. This is an old, old meme that, frankly, strikes me as being an urban legend from the start.

Do you disagree? Then post a link documenting this particular type of voter fraud occurring in Chicago during our lifetimes. Otherwise stop repeating this nonsense.

Concordia...41
11-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Regarding voting in Florida:

The polls were open the same # of hours. Just less days.

Anyone that wanted an absentee ballot had weeks to request one, complete it, and mail it back in.

If someone didn't vote it's not because Governor Scott (who I detest BTW) didn't have the polls open a couple of evenings, it's because they have no phone (to request ballot), must not know anyone with a phone, no mail (to request and return ballot), or no desire to vote. It is neither a republican nor democratic conspiracy.

Various groups on both sides of the partisian isle have offered transportation to the polls and helped various home-bound seniors.

I voted Saturday morning at 7:05 am as the polls were open 7 - 7 that day.

Now quit with the hogwash about Florida voting being rigged.

Regards -
M

ccmanuals
11-05-2012, 02:42 PM
So you think it's ok for people to stand in line for 7/8 hours plus to vote? Why should voting be a test of endurance?

And because you didn't have to stand in line in St. Augustine then standing in line for 8 hours in Dade and Broward county isn't happening?

Concordia...41
11-05-2012, 04:53 PM
So you think it's ok for people to stand in line for 7/8 hours plus to vote? Why should voting be a test of endurance?

And because you didn't have to stand in line in St. Augustine then standing in line for 8 hours in Dade and Broward county isn't happening?

I'm proud that someone felt it important enough to vote to stay in line that long. If that were the only way to cast a vote, I'll give you the endurance thing. However, I would have gone home and requested an absentee ballot as - knowing there are alternatives - I would not have just stayed in line for the sport of it.

I noticed a line at approximatley 8 am on Saturday, October 27th - the day early voting opened. I watched the closest polling location and went back at a time when I expected the least folks would be coming in (7 am). I also noticed Saturday afternoon that there were only a few cars in the parking lot. I can't speak for weekday traffic. Peak hours like over lunch, 5 pm etc.

What options the other counties had available, I don't know, but we had six polling locations open seven days from 7 am to 7 pm.

http://www.votesjc.com/election-information/early-voting/

YMMV

Gerarddm
11-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Systematic voter suppression. It's in the Republican byrules, you could look it up.

You do know of one of Romney's sons' tie to Diebold, yes?