PDA

View Full Version : Still waiting for my Nov/Dec WB Mag....?

Bob Cleek
11-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Did my mailman rip me off again? Should the latest issue have been fully distributed yet?

bob winter
11-02-2012, 01:48 PM
You are not alone. FWW seems to have a better delivery set up.

Canoeyawl
11-02-2012, 01:56 PM
I was going to check and see if my subscription expired.
It is normally pretty late - about two or three weeks from when I start to see posts on the forum about recent articles, probably a California thing. It is on the news stands much earlier.

Dick Wynne
11-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Did my mailman rip me off again? Should the latest issue have been fully distributed yet?

Mine arrived yesterday -- in London!

Gary Davis
11-02-2012, 04:27 PM
No rhyme or reason for delivery in Montana. Sometimes "early" but mostly not. Having said that, it'll probably arrive today.

Gary

Steve McMahon
11-02-2012, 07:16 PM
I got mine yesterday. Canada Post is just into seasonal transitioning from canoe to dogsled so it was a bit later than usual.

Canoeyawl
11-02-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm thinking it's a return to the Pony Express out here.

John How
11-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Glad to hear I wasn't singled out for late delivery.

Bob Cleek
11-03-2012, 03:09 AM
Yea, thanks for the reality check, guys. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Misery loves company!

bob winter
11-03-2012, 07:56 AM
I got mine yesterday. Canada Post is just into seasonal transitioning from canoe to dogsled so it was a bit later than usual.

There may still be hope, maybe it will arrive next week.

Reynard38
11-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Haven't seen mine yet. Thought maybe our mailman lost it. It sometimes takes him 3 trips around the neighborhood to get the mail delivered, and we are lucky if he shows up before 8pm.
Guys got dreadlocks down to his knees. When he finally shows up we all say "look, it's Rasta Mailmon!"

Reynard38
11-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Showed up today.

Gary Davis
11-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Still no mag here in Montana. Hope it shows up before my Thursday flight to NC.

Gary

Bob Cleek
11-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Still none in Northern CA... I keep checking the mailbox and, day after day, there's nothing but election junk mail and bills. At least the election junk mail is coming to an end!

(Maybe this thread will give WB some ammunition when they have to next negotiate their contract with their mailing outfit!)

Bill Huson
11-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Indeed. I think mine came in a week ago, or even earlier.

skywagon
11-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Haven't gotten mine in Central coastal California....

Gary Davis
11-07-2012, 11:18 AM
I got a WaterCraft yesterday, but still no WB. At least I'll have something to read on the flight.

Scot
11-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Apologies for the delay. It's our fault. The issue went into the mail-stream a week later than usual.

-Scot

Bob Cleek
11-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Mine came yesterday! Haven't had time to do more than skim it. I skippped over "Varnishing for Dummies," but got sidetracked reading the whole article on Fred W. Martin. I have his "Second Edition - 1901 Alburm of Designs for Boats, Launches, and Yachts" in my research library, but knew nothing more about him than Weston Farmer's comments in "From My Old Boatshop." The models by the author were really great. The Martin catalog, BTW, is very interesting, but the lines and elevation drawings are really rather small, like maybe two inches long. I found I needed a magnifying glass to really appreciate them. The print qualitiy in the reprint I had was adequate, though. His steam launches are really very nice. As with all old design catalogs, some of the designs illustrated didn't stand the test of time and look pretty weird to modern eyes. His "traditional" stuff (i.e. that which has stood the test of time) is very workmanlike and worth considering building to, if you are of a mind to enlarge the lines and take off your own offsets. There's no details beyond L/B/D and you'd have to do your own ballast calculations, construction, scantlings and so on, but that's no problem if you're going to tackle building a full sized traditional boat anyway. I noticed it looks like somebody wrote off their vacation in Venice by writing another article about gondolals. I guess there's a place for stitch and glue gondolas... mmmm? I'm sure Bolger drew a few of them. I guess we can thank Bolger for turning the Forum Building/Repair section into the "Epoxy/Fibreglass" section. About 80% of the posts are now about plywood, fibreglass and epoxy instead of traditional wooden boats. Thanks, Phil! You contributed so much to preserving the traditional trade crafts.

P.L.Lenihan
11-08-2012, 08:03 AM
About 80% of the posts are now about plywood, fibreglass and epoxy instead of traditional wooden boats. Thanks, Phil! You contributed so much to preserving the traditional trade crafts.

With all due respect, Mr.Cleek.........

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2cf29b3127ccef1c5678bbec300000030O02BauGzJmyZA9 vPgo/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

Desert Sailor
11-08-2012, 01:20 PM
The Nov/Dec issue has not yet made it to New Mexico...any reason for such staggered delivery?

John Meachen
11-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Mine managed to make it across the Atlantic and arrived yesterday.

Old Dryfoot
11-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Still waiting here too.

bob winter
11-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Mine just arrived today.

Doug Wood
11-10-2012, 10:05 AM
iPad...delivered on time, every time

Mad Scientist
11-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Mine arrived yesterday.

(I was worried that it was coming by way of NYC, in wwhich case it might not have arrived until Groundhog Day. Glad to be wrong sometimes.)

Tom

Canoeyawl
11-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Not yet...
But it does say "December" on the cover so I'm not giving up hope.

Old Dryfoot
11-17-2012, 01:44 AM
In todays mail.

Desert Sailor
11-17-2012, 12:12 PM
I pinged the Subscription Department through the link on the magazine website. The next morning I had an e-mail from Elaine stating that I should have received it by now, and asking me to confirm my mailing address. With that done, she had the issue to me in the mail the same day.

Looking forward to it. I have a neighbor who is seriously into stand-up paddleboard/surfing--he returned from his semi-annual Hawaii trip just yesterday, and he was asking me about it. Could be interesting to see how it's done.

Canoeyawl
11-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Mine showed up yesterday, looking a bit like a guilty pup.

http://primephysique.com/Portals/46981/images/diet-guilt.jpg

John How
11-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Finally got mine along with the 2013 Small Boats edition:ycool:

Steve Paskey
11-17-2012, 07:26 PM
I no longer have this problem, as I haven't subscribed in years. The magazine always showed up on the newstand before it landed in my mailbox, and, truth be told, fewer than half the issues were truly worth having. So now, I read it at Barnes and Nobles before most subscribers get their copy, and buy a few issues a year.

Gary Davis
11-18-2012, 10:17 AM
not yet

orbb
11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
truth be told, fewer than half the issues were truly worth having.

I find that is true with nearly all magazines. It seems like every other issue is weak. Of course, that would be a great batting average in baseball.

gilberj
11-21-2012, 01:08 AM
I picked up mine the other day in the store. I was particularly interested in the article about the Presto, by Reuel Parker I like Mr. Parkers designs and agree with most of what he says, but when I read what he writes I am left not quite satisfied, you know what I mean.....like after a good meal...
I would have liked to see a definition of what he thinks a Presto Sharpie is. We have Roger Marshals version the Presto 30. Mr. Parker has designed a handfull of them and Pete Culler designed one or more, The Clapham nonpariel sharpies bear some technical similarities,if not shape similarities. I think my LFH Meadowlark is more of a descendent of the Presto type than some working sharpie in the past, despite the presto being round bottom, rather than having chines and an arch bottom. They are both heavily ballasted, with little salient external keel. I of course have leeboards, but I do not see that as an exclusion.
I am left with having my thirst unsatisfied...........

Gary Davis
11-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Still waiting . . . .

skywagon
12-12-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm still waiting and finally went to the store and bought one. Long wait for not much content....
Bill

Scot
12-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Bill:

Sorry you had to buy a copy. If you send me a PM with your addressing info, I'll have our circ folks check into your subscription.

Regards,
Scot

RFNK
12-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I subscribe to the e-version. It arrives on time, costs a lot less, saves paper and doesn't clog up the house. It does take a bit of getting used to the e-format but most changes are like that. I flew to Brisbane yesterday and had access to about 8 WB magazines on my tablet. I wanted to go through the classified ads to see if a particular boat was advertised - I checked about 6 magazines while on the plane, and it took just a few minutes. No weight, no clutter - great!

Rick