PDA

View Full Version : Brian

Paul Pless
10-29-2012, 09:05 PM
They're just nameless trolls and flamers. Don't let the ******* get you down. . .

S/V Laura Ellen
10-29-2012, 09:09 PM
What people fail to understand it that people are entitled to their beliefs and opinions.
Friendship should be able to bridge these differences in beliefs and opinions.

wardd
10-29-2012, 09:23 PM
i'm not critizing brian for his job, i had a similar job after i left the service the went to work for boeing vertol

i do think it would be cheaper for the military to keep in in house and not contract out

JBreeze
10-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Baloney. This is a recurring theme ever since Bag o'Wind pointed out that "he pays Brian's salary" a year ago. Brian has a lot more patience than I would ever have.

johnw
10-29-2012, 09:27 PM
I doubt very much Brian has a union to protect him from being fired for what he says on internet forums. I'm therefore fine with him keeping his employer to himself.

I quite like the knowledge he brings here because of the work he does, and the photographs as well. If he seems in some way logically inconsistent to you, I'm not sure why that matters to him.

Phillip Allen
10-29-2012, 09:31 PM
I used to know who his employer was but have long since forgotten... it was NEVER important

George Jung
10-29-2012, 09:35 PM
You've got a mean streak, Tom - and I've told you that before. Always makes me wonder what unhappiness someone has at home, to bring such an attitude here. (And Tom's not the only one). I was writing a response when that last thread - the one where you were being a jerk - was pulled. There is no good reason for being such an ass. You should apologize.

TomF
10-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Add me to the list of people who look forward to Brian's posts.

Phillip Allen
10-29-2012, 09:39 PM
sometimes we forget (me included) that we are not all in the same mood at the same time

I haven't posted anything to agravate Brian but I have certainly done for others... I will try once again to clean up my attitude... (sigh)

TomF
10-29-2012, 09:45 PM
i missed it all ... other than Brian's 1-post thread

Glen Longino
10-29-2012, 09:46 PM
sometimes we forget (me included) that we are not all in the same mood at the same time

I haven't posted anything to agravate Brian but I have certainly done for others... I will try once again to clean up my attitude... (sigh)

Me too!:D No, really!

ccmanuals
10-29-2012, 09:51 PM
I can't count the number of times I have taken sh!!t from some wbf members because I'm civil service (you know the gov't can't do anything right crowd). Do I care? Not in the least. :)

leikec
10-29-2012, 09:55 PM
BrianW has it out for me ever since I first questioned the internal consistency of his anti-Federalist stance and his ongoing government-contractor employment. That was months ago.

Brian took extreme personal offense at the time. He has since maintained a distinctly hostile attitude toward me. I have generally ignored it. But the specific issue came up again today. And now Brian claims he is bugging out.

Oh well. George Jung says I am behaving like a jerk. I don't think I am. But if he wishes to debate the point I'm ready to do so.

I think both you and Brian got a little too personal in that prior fight. Perhaps this time you should quit while you're ahead.

Jeff C

Phillip Allen
10-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Tom, I think we have too much government but if I had a job with them that paid well... so what? we've all had to get up and go to work whether we liked it or not... Brian provides for his family in a very positive way...

Phillip Allen
10-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Right!

I can't count the number of times I have taken sh!!t from some WBF members because I am a Ford Motor Company employee and a member of the UAW. Do I care? Not in the least. I give as good as I get. :)

BDub has a thin skin and a grudge against me. So be it. If he chooses to leave that is his choice. Personally, I hope he gets over it and decides to stick around.

I really don't think he has a thin skin... but if one keeps poking the same place over and over... it might get sore

Garret
10-29-2012, 10:30 PM
I missed it all - but if Brian is gone, I'm pissed. He not only has provided some fantastic pics, but interesting & intelligent debate on many topics.

I have no idea who or what ticked him off - but if someone apologizing would get him back, I'd really appreciate it if you would do so. Preferably soon.

Thanks.

Old Dryfoot
10-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Add me to the list of people who look forward to Brian's posts.

+1 here. As time goes by I'm finding it much easier to look past any political (or other hot button topics) leanings, ones character is of more importance IMO.

John of Phoenix
10-29-2012, 10:55 PM
I don't get the point of pulling posts and pics. What's that supposed to accomplish?

George Jung
10-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Sounds like extra work

George Jung
10-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Yeah, but you've mastered the art of Pacing Oneself

B_B
10-30-2012, 12:43 AM
Oh, not so much. ;)
Yer up to 56 - getting lazy? ;)

Robbie 2
10-30-2012, 12:44 AM
I also always enjoy Brian's photos and interesting input on the WBF.

Larks
10-30-2012, 12:55 AM
I also always enjoy Brian's photos and interesting input on the WBF.

Ditto!!

The Bigfella
10-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Tritto

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-30-2012, 01:56 AM
It's the long Winters and short Summers up there in Alaska, Tom.
Makes em crazy.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.

B_B
10-30-2012, 02:22 AM
It's the long Winters and short Summers up there in Alaska, Tom.
Makes em crazy....
More like the heat and sand and being away from loved ones for 6 weeks at a time...

We all feel like giving up on this place from time to time; the masochists always return (says a 12 yr veteran)

seanz
10-30-2012, 02:26 AM
I'm glad I don't build trucks for Halliburton, I wouldn't be able to handle the guilt..........

Chris Coose
10-30-2012, 07:13 AM
I'd be OK without the pictures of dead wild animals and meat grinder machinery.

Iceboy
10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
+ 1000 Another good contributer run off by jerks.
They're just nameless trolls and flamers. Don't let the ******* get you down. . .

LeeG
10-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Poop, storm Sandy took the internet and Tom was able to make unflappable BrianW flap. Most unfortunate.

TomF
10-30-2012, 09:06 AM
+ 1000 Another good contributer run off by jerks.No. Show me the "jerk" posts that were over the top.

Brian's taken hits for his work, for his hobbies. As other posters have found out, even "rhino skin" wears thin sometimes.

But show me a frequent poster here who's not taken hits for such things - we all have. I'm a civil servant, Canadian, Liberal, Christian ... and have taken hits for each, periodically. I saw nothing directed towards Brian that hasn't gone towards many others (including me), but maybe it evaporated too quickly. I did see Brian deciding, over a period of time, to ramp back his personal exposure in terms of pictures and personal commentary etc. ... Others have done that too ... and more of us didn't go there in the first place.

Guess what - 99% of you guys don't know what my wife and kids look like either. Or what my home looks like. And I don't know that stuff about 99% of you either. There's a reason why most of us here have hived off some elements of our private lives ... the internet can be a creepy place. If Brian wants to put up some bigger walls, fine. But if he (or others) want to say that this is because of particular posts going over-the-top, I'd want to see them.

t

George Jung
10-30-2012, 09:12 AM
You don't really have to look very far - while the evidence is probably 'gone' now, Brian was taking some pretty good broadsides, from a number of people, over the past few weeks. There's a tendency in the Bilge for folks to pile on, and that was also notable. Was it worse than what others have endured? Likely not; but everyone has their own breaking points, and it doesn't take a genius to see when someone is being pushed too hard.

BrianW
10-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Let me apologize for any concerns about leaving the board. That wasnít part of my message on the locked thread.

Thereís no way Iím going to stop posting and interacting with such a great group of people. This place has expanded my political awareness across the liberal/conservative spectrum tremendously. Beyond politics, thereís a ton of great stuff posted here, that I might never have learned about without being part of it. Plus my family and I have made some real life good friends here. Oh no, itís not going to be that easy to get me to leave.

My decision to remove pictures and references to my job is the result of the fact that some people cannot overcome their desire to redirect a topic away from the subject, and interject my personal information, as a debate point.

They claim an inability to understand how I can speak negatively of government, when perhaps I may be somehow associated with it. If they say that concept is too much for them to comprehend, that itís outside their mental ability grasp, who am I to disagree with that?

In order to remove that temptation, I have to stop encouraging it. It wouldnít be right for me to say, ďstop talking about my jobĒ, and then post pictures taken while doing my job.

If that somehow diminishes the forum, the problem lies with those who canít control themselves.

Thanks for all the support where given, and once again I apologize for the drama. It wasnít meant to be that big a deal. I made my post, and had to (ironically enough) go to work. Now I'm back. If someone wants to "bring on the heat", so be it. But I'm not providing their talking points anymore.

Glen Longino
10-30-2012, 09:16 AM
+ 1000 Another good contributer run off by jerks.

Just yesterday I got this rude response from a member on another thread but I did not go off mad and whiney:
"Glen, you goofy leftist libtard...tunnel visioned "wanna be"" Texan."
Poster changed libtard to "fellow" some time later!
You gotta be tough to be a Bilge Rat!:D

George Jung
10-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Not sure why you'dd have trouble with that post, glen... :P

Canoez
10-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Let me apologize for any concerns about leaving the board. That wasn’t part of my message on the locked thread.

There’s no way I’m going to stop posting and interacting with such a great group of people. This place has expanded my political awareness across the liberal/conservative spectrum tremendously. Beyond politics, there’s a ton of great stuff posted here, that I might never have learned about without being part of it. Plus my family and I have made some real life good friends here. Oh no, it’s not going to be that easy to get me to leave.

My decision to remove pictures and references to my job is the result of the fact that some people cannot overcome their desire to redirect a topic away from the subject, and interject my personal information, as a debate point.

They claim an inability to understand how I can speak negatively of government, when perhaps I may be somehow associated with it. If they say that concept is too much for them to comprehend, that it’s outside their mental ability grasp, who am I to disagree with that?

In order to remove that temptation, I have to stop encouraging it. It wouldn’t be right for me to say, “stop talking about my job”, and then post pictures taken while doing my job.

If that somehow diminishes the forum, the problem lies with those who can’t control themselves.

Thanks for all the support where given, and once again I apologize for the drama. It wasn’t meant to be that big a deal. I made my post, and had to (ironically enough) go to work. Now I'm back. If someone wants to "bring on the heat", so be it. But I'm not providing their talking points anymore.

I for one will be very sad to see your posts about your work disappear. I think it's very important for all of us to see, with some local perspective, the impacts - both positive and negative - that are happening around the world because of what our government does. I think many Americans have a very narrow view of the world because many do not travel outside of the country. It's a pictoral opportunity to "walk a mile" in the other guy's shoes.

botebum
10-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Brian, I've always thought your pictures promoted a greater insight into other cultures. I find your pics of thr people and the landscapes of Afghanistan fascinating.
I'll miss them.

Doug

Canoez
10-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Brian, I've always thought your pictures promoted a greater insight into other cultures. I find your pics of thr people and the landscapes of Afghanistan fascinating.
I'll miss them.

Doug

'zactly.

Phillip Allen
10-30-2012, 10:02 AM
you may never have left, Brian, but WELCOME BACK just the same!

Garret
10-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Brian, I've always thought your pictures promoted a greater insight into other cultures. I find your pics of the people and the landscapes of Afghanistan fascinating.
I'll miss them.

Doug

Another "zactly"!!!

ccmanuals
10-30-2012, 10:40 AM
and another zactly.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-30-2012, 11:09 AM
This message is hidden because BrianW is on your ignore list.

Yawn.

Y Bar Ranch
10-30-2012, 11:23 AM
This message is hidden because BrianW is on your ignore list.
http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2009/4/9/128838124308981647.jpg

Joe (SoCal)
10-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Let me apologize for any concerns about leaving the board. That wasnít part of my message on the locked thread.

Thereís no way Iím going to stop posting and interacting with such a great group of people. This place has expanded my political awareness across the liberal/conservative spectrum tremendously. Beyond politics, thereís a ton of great stuff posted here, that I might never have learned about without being part of it. Plus my family and I have made some real life good friends here. Oh no, itís not going to be that easy to get me to leave.

They claim an inability to understand how I can speak negatively of government, when perhaps I may be somehow associated with it. If they say that concept is too much for them to comprehend, that itís outside their mental ability grasp, who am I to disagree with that?

In order to remove that temptation, I have to stop encouraging it. It wouldnít be right for me to say, ďstop talking about my jobĒ, and then post pictures taken while doing my job.

If that somehow diminishes the forum, the problem lies with those who canít control themselves.

Thanks for all the support where given, and once again I apologize for the drama. It wasnít meant to be that big a deal. I made my post, and had to (ironically enough) go to work. Now I'm back. If someone wants to "bring on the heat", so be it. But I'm not providing their talking points anymore.

Extremely well written my friend, Ill miss your "Work" photos if nothing beyond their natural beauty and allowing me to see the other side of the world through my computer screen, but I understand. Glad your hanging around

Paul Pless
10-30-2012, 11:56 AM

They claim an inability to understand how I can speak negatively of government, when perhaps I may be somehow associated with it. If they say that concept is too much for them to comprehend, that it’s outside their mental ability grasp, who am I to disagree with that?

I disagree Brian and hope that you would reconsider this over time. When someone drags personal info or background as provided at times in your photo essays and other postings and attempts to use them to score points in some way in some political discussion, most of us see that as an inability on that individual's part to debate on the merits of their own position. It doesn't speak negatively to you in any way shape or form; no one here that has a real comprehension of politics and partisanship gives any credit to such arguments. I respect you and your position for now and also how sometimes there are events going on off the board that weigh into such a decision as you have made, but again I do hope that you might change your mind given some time.

John of Phoenix
10-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Put me down for another "'zactly".

Again, what's accomplished by pulling the pictures? There's nothing in them that's identifiable, that I've noticed anyway.

David G
10-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Let me apologize for any concerns about leaving the board. That wasn’t part of my message on the locked thread.

There’s no way I’m going to stop posting and interacting with such a great group of people. This place has expanded my political awareness across the liberal/conservative spectrum tremendously. Beyond politics, there’s a ton of great stuff posted here, that I might never have learned about without being part of it. Plus my family and I have made some real life good friends here. Oh no, it’s not going to be that easy to get me to leave.

In order to remove that temptation, I have to stop encouraging it. It wouldn’t be right for me to say, “stop talking about my job”, and then post pictures taken while doing my job.

If that somehow diminishes the forum, the problem lies with those who can’t control themselves.

Thanks for all the support where given, and once again I apologize for the drama. It wasn’t meant to be that big a deal. I made my post, and had to (ironically enough) go to work. Now I'm back. If someone wants to "bring on the heat", so be it. But I'm not providing their talking points anymore.

Oh Crap... he's BACK! Here I thought we'd gotten rid of him and his awful photography!

Seriously... while Brian and I may argue about politics, philosophy, or economics... I regard him as one of the good guys, and a nascent friend. I'm hoping he can sort things out with his protagonist, who seems alright to me as well. I don't remember the seminal incident. It'd be nice if the two of them would put it in the past as well.

BrianW
10-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Put me down for another "'zactly".

Again, what's accomplished by pulling the pictures? There's nothing in them that's identifiable, that I've noticed anyway.

It reminds them of what I possibly do for a living. They can't handle that.

ron ll
10-30-2012, 12:31 PM
It reminds them of what I possibly do for a living. They can't handle that.

It's none of anyone's friggin' business, other than I'm glad some one does it. Thanks for the pix, I always enjoy them.

L.W. Baxter
10-30-2012, 12:44 PM
I am surprised to see Brian stoop to this level of manipulation. I thought he was tougher than that.

Brian, you have been content to use your personal experience to argue from authority, as is your right. You told me I couldn't have a valid opinion on gays in the military because I lack experience, which you only know because, like you, I share honest details here about my life. Your argument angered me but I didn't get all petulant and appeal to the forum, deleting other contributions in an attempt to bring down general opprobrium for your posting behavior.

I like your stuff, deleting it is the move of a lesser man. HTFU.

TomF
10-30-2012, 12:45 PM
[SIZE=3][FONT=georgiaThere’s no way I’m going to stop posting and interacting with such a great group of people. This place has expanded my political awareness across the liberal/conservative spectrum tremendously. Beyond politics, there’s a ton of great stuff posted here, that I might never have learned about without being part of it. Plus my family and I have made some real life good friends here. Oh no, it’s not going to be that easy to get me to leave.
Good man - that's exactly what I'd come to expect. This place would be poorer without you.

Paul Pless
10-30-2012, 12:51 PM
I am really amazed at your gall for saying that, Paul.

Just a few months ago, you dug up some photos from my wedding and posted them with a snarky comment, attempting "to score points in some way in a a political discussion."

http://forum.woodenboat.com/archive/index.php/t-150261.html

That was really rude and disturbing then. It's even more so now that you try to pretend you're above that sort of thing.

Had you forgotten that you recently tried to use my photos to insult me?

Or do you just think you're so perfect that you think it's acceptable for you to do that?I did not post photos of your wedding. I posed a link to your blog which you had already provided the link for. And you know what, it was beneath me for doing so and I apologize for doing so.

John of Phoenix
10-30-2012, 12:53 PM
It reminds them of what I possibly do for a living. They can't handle that.Not to be too much of a smart ass, but it seems you can't handle it either.

If you're proud of the job you do, screw 'em. Pulling the pics and posts strikes me as a "take my ball and go home" tantrum and you're bigger than that. I hope you reconsider.

Paul Pless
10-30-2012, 01:10 PM
That was about three months too late. fart

BrianW
10-30-2012, 01:14 PM
I like your stuff, deleting it is the move of a lesser man. HTFU.

Not to be too much of a smart ass, but it seems you can't handle it either.

It's done. You don't have to agree. It's not the end of the world.

John of Phoenix
10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
I hope you reconsider about posting pictures in the future.

L.W. Baxter
10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
It's done. You don't have to agree. It's not the end of the world.

Right you are, and I don't begrudge you a turn as drama queen. I just found it surprising is all.

Can I get you something to drink, Maybe a cranberry juice?

John of Phoenix
10-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Maybe a cranberry juice? L.W., you crack me up.

OK, on with life.

Osborne Russell
10-30-2012, 02:34 PM
I really liked the pictures.

The Judge
10-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Brian and his pictures are among the bilge's "best of".

Concordia...41
10-30-2012, 05:02 PM
I'll miss them.

Doug

I'm late to the party (as usual), but also enjoy Brian's photographic contributions - as well as his comentary.

-M

Ted Hoppe
10-30-2012, 05:23 PM
I keep thinking about song from Life of Brian...

Lead Singer Crucifee (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001385/): [Dying on the cross] Cheer up, Brian. You know what they say: some things in life are bad. They can really make you mad. Other things just make you swear and curse. When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble; give a whistle, and this'll help things turn out for the best. And... always look on the bright side of life...

<b>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaktW-Lu38

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-30-2012, 07:53 PM
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/cry/grand/ing-little-girl-cry-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-519.gif

Phillip Allen
10-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Oh, Peter... stop it!

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-30-2012, 07:58 PM
This thread is so upsetting!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8bidj9tAU1romtiq.gif

George Jung
10-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Those are mighty good liknesses of ya, Peter! (though not clear what you're trying to do to that poor bag ...)

BrianW
10-30-2012, 08:21 PM
The best part of this thread, was the gracious apology acceptance by ljb5. "No good deed..." and all that. ;)

George Jung
10-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Is that the 'back-handed' acceptance?

Ian Marchuk
10-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Thank you for your commentaries and photography Brian, you have made a lasting and valuable contribution to the forum.

Phillip Allen
10-30-2012, 08:38 PM
The best part of this thread, was the gracious apology acceptance by ljb5. "No good deed..." and all that. ;)

it was the best he is competent enough to do, Brian :)

Glen Longino
10-30-2012, 08:48 PM
it was the best he is competent enough to do, Brian :)

So, this thread has come to Brian and Phillip lamely attacking El Jay?
Ha! What a place!:D

George Jung
10-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Actually, that's how it was set up from the start, Glen. Pretty damned sneaky, eh?

Phillip Allen
10-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Actually, that's how it was set up from the start, Glen. Pretty damned sneaky, eh?

it don't count as sneaky if the sneakee is too dumb to see it comin :)

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Yep, that's LJ, allowing Brian and Phillip to overwhelm him with intellect.

Here they are, planning their next move...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnz9ayDT6s1qe8w05.gif

BrianW
10-30-2012, 09:27 PM
I get to be Sponge Bob. The other things stumpy legs are freaking me out.

Phillip Allen
10-30-2012, 09:32 PM
I get to be Sponge Bob. The other things stumpy legs are freaking me out.

it gives new meaning to my not being able to reach my feet anymore

Phillip Allen
10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Paul didn't really apologize.

First, he tried to deny what he actually did.

Second, his claim that his own actions were "beneath him" was an obvious attempt to distance himself from his own actions, rather than take responsibility for them.

If Paul were being sincere, he'd recognize that he is defined by his own actions. He cannot do one thing, then berate someone else for doing it... then claim that he is somehow "above" it.

Anyway... this thread has nothing to do with me.

I have as much cause as Brian to complain about people using my photos against me... but unlike Brian, I didn't feel the need to be so dramatic about it.

you can thank Peter for this :)

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/cry/grand/ing-little-girl-cry-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-519.gif

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-30-2012, 10:22 PM
but unlike Brian, I didn't feel the need to be so dramatic about it.

Well that just about caps it. G'night folks, y'all come back now y'hear?

BrianW
10-31-2012, 08:36 AM
I have as much cause as Brian to complain about people using my photos against me... but unlike Brian, I didn't feel the need to be so dramatic about it.

Actually, in your case, I don't think anyone would have cared.

:D

Spin_Drift
10-31-2012, 12:25 PM
Brian, I love your pictures. All of them. I've seen you post very interesting work pictures and it would be a shame not to see more. They are fodder to the mind. They are very interesting and I, as well as many others, find pleasure in looking at them.

Please my dear friend, don't let someone else's problem become yours. Please keep posting them. They are fantastic and very enjoyable to see. They're first hand, -real, true "stories" in pictures. BRAVO!!!!