View Full Version : Argo: The Other Iranian Hostage Crisis

John of Phoenix
10-29-2012, 03:22 PM
I went to see Argo with my wife Saturday night. She said, "It was a great story but the movie was too violent." I said, "TOO violent? You can't imagine." Later at dinner with friends who hadn't seen the movie, they asked what I thought of it and I related a couple of incidents from my time there during the early part of the revolution (several months prior to the Nov '79 taking of the embassy). My wife was amazed so I asked her, "Still think the movie was too violent?"

As the situation deteriorated, we all grew out our beards and hair to look like Ben in the pic below in an attempt to blend into the crowd and with about as much success - pale face, blue eyes and 6' in a world of olive skin, brown eyes and 5' 6" didn't work very well.

I was never so glad to get out any place (including Cambodia) as I was to leave Iran.

I expect Affleck will earn many awards for a very good film. Reminded me many times of just how scared I was over there.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
I know what you mean, John.

Iran is the only nation I have visited that I thoroughly disliked.

John of Phoenix
10-29-2012, 03:35 PM
BTW, MANY thanks to our Canadian friends for riskiing so much to help us during a very dangerous time for all of us.

10-29-2012, 05:04 PM
It is a great movie. Affleck is a superb filmmaker. The Town, extremely violent btw, was very good. And now this.