PDA

View Full Version : Sandy and cruise ships

Dan McCosh
10-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Just found out that our in-laws are on a cruise ship that was attempting to race Sandy to NYC, then turned out to sea. Anyone know how this works? Fuel, sea conditions?

Ian McColgin
10-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Jeesh. Unlike the old time North Atlantic passenger liners, cruise ships are not meant for storms. Despite the high windage, it can probably be held into the wind safely enough, but it will be a trans-bulimic day or so.

Tom Wilkinson
10-29-2012, 04:47 PM
My parents are on one now that was scheduled to leave Boston Sunday, now scheduled to leave tuesday.

Mad Scientist
10-29-2012, 06:34 PM
We have 'The World' and 'Norwegian Dawn' alongside Halifax. Also, 'OOCL Netherlands' (a containership) appears to be loitering in the Gulf of Maine.

Strange to see the area from New York to Norfolk almost devoid of ship movements, on marinetraffic.com

Tom

Dan McCosh
10-29-2012, 06:41 PM
We have 'The World' and 'Norwegian Dawn' alongside Halifax. Also, 'OOCL Netherlands' (a containership) appears to be loitering in the Gulf of Maine.

Strange to see the area from New York to Norfolk almost devoid of ship movements, on marinetraffic.com

Tom This one is the Norwegian Gem, which seems to still be at sea for a couple of days. Anyway, we also have several relatives on the Jersey Shore, and a daughter near the evacuation area in Brooklyn.

purri
10-29-2012, 10:06 PM
^ Does the Jersey Shore have a tanning salon? |;)

Dan McCosh
10-29-2012, 10:31 PM
^ Does the Jersey Shore have a tanning salon? |;) It appears to have flooded to several feet, probably meaning they have lost two houses.

seanz
10-30-2012, 01:55 AM
Not a boat Purri.......

purri
10-30-2012, 03:55 AM
^ I see.

skuthorp
10-30-2012, 04:54 AM
Erk, another floating block of flats.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d3/Norwegian_gem_in_Sicily_2008.jpg/400px-Norwegian_gem_in_Sicily_2008.jpg
Imagine the windage on that!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-30-2012, 06:07 AM
Avoiding tropical revolving storms is no big deal for merchant ships, including passenger ships.

Between May and November at least one of the ships I manage will be typhoon dodging at any given moment.

The procedures for doing this are very well established and known to every professional navigating officer - and in the unlikely even that they forget the information is in the Mariner's Handbook...

Shang
10-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Years ago I crossed the channel on board the hovercraft in a force seven gale. We never got up enough speed to do any hovering so much of our crossing was up and down as solid water slammed against the windows.
It was the only time I've seen grown men crying as they crawled through their own vomit.

Dan McCosh
10-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Avoiding tropical revolving storms is no big deal for merchant ships, including passenger ships.

Between May and November at least one of the ships I manage will be typhoon dodging at any given moment.

The procedures for doing this are very well established and known to every professional navigating officer - and in the unlikely even that they forget the information is in the Mariner's Handbook... It appears they went about 400 miles out, and are expected to return to NYC today. One problem seems to be the passenger's parking lot at the dock was submerged.