PDA

View Full Version : A Thank You to the Editors of WoodenBoat and the Members of the WoodenBoat Forum

BBSebens
10-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Compared to a lot of the folks who hang around here, I'm a young guy. All of 27 years.

I've really only been into boats for the last 5 years or so, mostly because I grew up in a car family. But, as my mother puts it, I never could keep out of the water.

My early introduction into boating was two-fold. I began reading my father-in-law's WoodenBoat Magazines, and I was invited out for a sail on his friends Concordia Yawl.

I was ruined for good.

Shortly after this, I discovered that this wonderful publication hosted a forum. Being of the internet generation, this piqued my interest. I quickly discovered a vast amount of knowledge, held by dozens, or hundreds, of *ahem* experienced people who were kind enough to entertain the most basic of questions that I had yet to find the, now, very obvious answers to. Its been almost 5 years of perusing the Forum since then. And while I have contributed very little, given that I really haven't done that much, I have learned so very much. In fact, a large portion of my boating knowledge, Wooden or otherwise, is courtesy of the fine Members of the WoodenBoat Forum. A few have even tolerated my novice status enough to meet me in person, and let me tag along on various adventures, expanding my knowledge base so much further. I can even offer up advice from time to time when I come upon someone who is as I once was.

While I continue to learn, dream, and plan, I hope that many more like myself will come along, and be welcomed into the brethren of Wooden Boat enthusiasts.

And for this opportunity, I want to extend a heartfelt thanks to the fine people who put together WoodenBoat Magazine, for their very successful effort of spreading the joy of wooden boats. I also want to thank those who thought it a good idea to get on board with this fancy Internet thing, and establish this forum. I especially appreciate the effort and cost that goes into maintaining a forum without ads on it. That is worth a lot to me.

And lastly, a big thanks to the fine Members of the WoodenBoat Forum. Your experience and knowledge is a huge asset, and a person like myself can gain a huge amount of knowledge from your sharing. Please keep it up, because it is appreciated!

See you on the water,

Ben Sebens
Bellingham, Wa
Matty

P.L.Lenihan
10-28-2012, 05:40 PM
And for this opportunity, I want to extend a heartfelt thanks to the fine people who put together WoodenBoat Magazine, for their very successful effort of spreading the joy of wooden boats. I also want to thank those who thought it a good idea to get on board with this fancy Internet thing, and establish this forum. I especially appreciate the effort and cost that goes into maintaining a forum without ads on it. That is worth a lot to me.

And lastly, a big thanks to the fine Members of the WoodenBoat Forum. Your experience and knowledge is a huge asset, and a person like myself can gain a huge amount of knowledge from your sharing. Please keep it up, because it is appreciated!

+1 +1 +1!!!!!

Excellent and well said Ben.

Cheers!

Peter

jimkeen
10-28-2012, 07:17 PM
That says it all

johngsandusky
10-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Nicely said!

Tom Jackson
10-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Hey, thanks very much, Ben (and the rest). That's great to hear!

seanz
10-29-2012, 04:49 PM
I was ruined for good.

:) Y>

Well said.

Carl Cramer
10-29-2012, 08:17 PM
All of us have been ruined in one way or another.

I'd rather be ruined by WoodenBoating than any of the alternatives. This was a decision I made a long, long time ago (the first issue) -- and I've never regretted it.

Have you?

purri
10-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Well spoken sir!

J.Madison
10-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Agreed! Most everything I know about boats started in the magazine or the forum or one of the publications produced by WoodenBoat. Its had a huge impact on my life for sure.

johnw
10-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Compared to a lot of the folks who hang around here, I'm a young guy. All of 27 years.

I've really only been into boats for the last 5 years or so, mostly because I grew up in a car family. But, as my mother puts it, I never could keep out of the water.

My early introduction into boating was two-fold. I began reading my father-in-law's WoodenBoat Magazines, and I was invited out for a sail on his friends Concordia Yawl.

I was ruined for good.

Shortly after this, I discovered that this wonderful publication hosted a forum. Being of the internet generation, this piqued my interest. I quickly discovered a vast amount of knowledge, held by dozens, or hundreds, of *ahem* experienced people who were kind enough to entertain the most basic of questions that I had yet to find the, now, very obvious answers to. Its been almost 5 years of perusing the Forum since then. And while I have contributed very little, given that I really haven't done that much, I have learned so very much. In fact, a large portion of my boating knowledge, Wooden or otherwise, is courtesy of the fine Members of the WoodenBoat Forum. A few have even tolerated my novice status enough to meet me in person, and let me tag along on various adventures, expanding my knowledge base so much further. I can even offer up advice from time to time when I come upon someone who is as I once was.

While I continue to learn, dream, and plan, I hope that many more like myself will come along, and be welcomed into the brethren of Wooden Boat enthusiasts.

See you on the water,

Ben Sebens
Bellingham, Wa
Matty

The Ruined Maid
by Thomas Hardy

"O 'Melia, my dear, this does everything crown!
Who could have supposed I should meet you in Town?
And whence such fair garments, such prosperi-ty?"--
"O didn't you know I'd been ruined?" said she.

--"You left us in tatters, without shoes or socks,
Tired of digging potatoes, and spudding up docks;
And now you've gay bracelets and bright feathers three!"--
"Yes: that's how we dress when we're ruined," said she.

--"At home in the barton you said 'thee' and 'thou,'
And 'thik oon' and 'theńs oon' and 't'other'; but now
Your talking quite fits 'ee for high compan-ny!"--
"Some polish is gained with one's ruin," said she.

--"Your hands were like paws then, your face blue and bleak
But now I'm bewitched by your delicate cheek,
And your little gloves fit as on any la-dy!"--
"We never do work when we're ruined," said she.

--"You used to call home-life a hag-ridden dream,
And you'd sigh, and you'd sock; but at present you seem
To know not of megrims or melancho-ly!"--
"True. One's pretty lively when ruined," said she.

--"I wish I had feathers, a fine sweeping gown,
And a delicate face, and could strut about Town."--
"My dear - a raw country girl, such as you be,
Cannot quite expect that. You ain't ruined," said she.

gypsie
12-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Beautifully put.