PDA

View Full Version : Recommended books/resources for motor cruising St. John's River in Florida?

rbgarr
11-06-2001, 06:13 PM
Any suggestions?

rustnrot
11-07-2001, 07:09 PM
Join us on the annual ACBS St. John's River Cruise from JAX to Sanford in late March. There's both a north and a south run.

Last years run at http://www.cutwater.com/Woodies/special/index.htm

rbgarr
11-07-2001, 08:07 PM
Thank you for the invitation. It looks like fun. I found Claiborne Young's 'Guide to East Florida' at the local Waste Marine. It has a chapter on Lake George(?) to Jax.

paladin
11-08-2001, 12:05 AM
first ya needs a chart (that's Suthrin talk for a map for you part time yankees) that shows where all the really skinny water izz so's you won't have no embarrassin' moments while in Suthrin territory.

rbgarr
11-08-2001, 07:09 AM
Charts... we don't need no stinkin' charts!!

I got me one o' them AAA maps and a tour guide which lists all the Holiday Inns. LOL

To be serious about charts, though: in another thread about rowing down the Mississippi, I mentioned that I'd seen a slide show given by a couple who canoed from Wisconsin to Key West. They showed one slide of a handrawn map of the US. I joked that it looked like an early explorer's map, all misshapen and out of scale, but they said it was what they used except for some xeroxed strip charts of sections of the River. They just followed the coast from Louisiana to Florida. They ended up camping out (unknown to them) on a section of a military reservation. They met some MPs that way who, lucky for them, could see that they were up to no harm. I bet they couldn't do that now (post 9/11) .