PDA

View Full Version : WB vs FWW Archive

drum365
10-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Got an email from Fine Woodworking today, offering their complete archive 1975-2012 on DVD-ROM for $99.95.

Yes, the WB archive on a wood-housed flash drive (http://www.woodenboatstore.com/product/202-002) is a cute idea. But at $160, it's too expensive! I'd love to have the option to buy the archive on a DVD and you can keep the flash drive, thank you.

upchurchmr
10-21-2012, 12:35 PM
A flash drive is less cost than a fist full of DVDs.
Its not the actual cost, its the greed. OOPS, I could have been a little more PC on that one.

What does it cost just to see a list of articles in all of the WB magazines? It irritates me to no end that it costs to look up an article in my formerly complete set. It irritated me enough to stop buying new magazines unless there is something I just have to have (not read only at the book store).

Scot
10-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Hello Drum:
The other way to look at it is, the WB collection is under 70 cents per issue. A bargain, indeed. Putting the files on a DVD isn't going to cause us to drop the price. The flash drive is a great and convenient delivery method, and significantly fewer problems than when we had it on CD. I suspect DVD would have similar issues.

But, as we suggest, don't rely on that media. Back it up. Disks, flash drives etc., can fail.

-Scot

Yeadon
10-21-2012, 12:42 PM
I can't say I'm surprised. Haven't you ever noticed that just by adding "marine" or "boat" or "nautical" to a product's description that the cost goes way up?

Anyways, it's for a good cause. I keep meaning to buy the full archive. Seems like a great resource.

Scot
10-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Hello Upchurch:

The cost to see a list of all the articles: $0.00.

We have a free on-line index:
http://www.woodenboat.com/search-back-issues-woodenboat-magazine

-Scot

upchurchmr
10-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I probably missed something. What good cause?

I can't say I'm surprised. Haven't you ever noticed that just by adding "marine" or "boat" or "nautical" to a product's description that the cost goes way up?

Anyways, it's for a good cause. I keep meaning to buy the full archive. Seems like a great resource.

Old Dryfoot
10-21-2012, 01:54 PM
I probably missed something. What good cause?

Keeping the magazine going... keeping the WBF online... keeping the WBS going... I can see lots of benefits in supporting our hosts. I could just as easily blow $160 on fancy coffee or fast food and get far less in return. I'll emphatically second that good cause any day!

Old Dryfoot
10-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Check out the circulation numbers too, and you'll see the reason for the price difference. Greed.... bunch of BS!

landlocked sailor
10-21-2012, 07:38 PM
I'll give up my print edition when they pry it from my cold dead hands! Thanks for all you people do, Carl , Matt, Scot et al (and Jon too). As a charter subscriber to FWW too, it irritates the hell out of me that their online index is so inadequate but I can pay extra for the real thing. The annual index in the old magazines was comprehensive, though maybe slow to peruse. Taunton Press has nothing​ like this forum either. Rick

Bob Cleek
10-23-2012, 03:01 PM
I've always wondered why WB doesn't provide premium pricing to its subscribers... particularly their long time subscribers. I think it would be a good marketing approach to build community like this forum does. All they have to do is maybe give "free shipping" from the WB store to anybody who's been a subscriber for five years or more. (Like the old Dolphin Book Club, which was great! "Sign up for a year and get a free book!") Stuff like that. Would that increase subscriptions?

drum365
10-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Just got another back issue offer in my inbox - all of ShopNotes (http://www.shopnotes.com/back-issue-library.php) (126 issues, 1992-2012) on DVD for $99.

Paul Pless
10-24-2012, 09:06 AM
I've always wondered why WB doesn't provide premium pricing to its subscribers... particularly their long time subscribers. I think it would be a good marketing approach to build community like this forum does. All they have to do is maybe give "free shipping" from the WB store to anybody who's been a subscriber for five years or more. (Like the old Dolphin Book Club, which was great! "Sign up for a year and get a free book!") Stuff like that. Would that increase subscriptions?

If you've been a subscriber for five or more years, they've already got you.:d

MoMan
12-26-2012, 02:41 PM
I can't speak for Fine Woodworking as I don't have a subscription, but WoodenBoat mag has WAY more content in each issue vs. ShopNotes. That takes a lot more time to research, write, photograph, edit, layout, proof, etc., etc. I bet if someone did a comparison of how many articles/ words/ photos and illustrations between those two publications, WoodenBoat would be the better bargain.

Just got another back issue offer in my inbox - all of ShopNotes (http://www.shopnotes.com/back-issue-library.php) (126 issues, 1992-2012) on DVD for $99.

jahlinux
12-29-2012, 12:33 PM
I gladly paid the money for the back issues on the USB drive. I also get both the print and digital issues. WoodenBoat is an awsome resource! Keep up the great work.