PDA

View Full Version : I voted

switters
10-16-2012, 06:00 PM
by mail. Gonna be hunting that week so I sent my ballot out today at lunch.

I voted for hippie doctors, legalizing marijuana, new judges, a one percenter democrat to send to the house of reps.

Hopefully this decreases the amount of political spin and propaganda that has been posted here in the bilge trying to persuade my vote.:d

switters
10-17-2012, 09:09 AM
And my pick for president is in jail today.

http://www.treehugger.com/environmental-policy/green-party-presidential-vice-presidential-candidates-arrested-dem-rep-debate-site.html

Seems a presidential candidate tried to get into the presidential candidate debates. Big money wins again, doesn't matter if it is red or blue.

Gerarddm
10-17-2012, 09:19 AM
I hope you followed my advice.

switters
10-17-2012, 12:13 PM
On her release, Dr. Stein said that, "It was painful but symbolic to be handcuffed for all those hours, because that what the Commission on Presidential Debates has essentially done to American democracy." Stein and Honkala were eventually released into the cold at 10:30pm. Police provided no advance notice of the release to campaign lawyers and staff, and did not allow the two candidates to make any phone calls.

I wonder why the corporate elite think they are such a threat?

Uncle Duke
10-17-2012, 12:32 PM
On her release, Dr. Stein said that, "It was painful but symbolic to be handcuffed for all those hours, because that what the Commission on Presidential Debates has essentially done to American democracy." Stein and Honkala were eventually released into the cold at 10:30pm. Police provided no advance notice of the release to campaign lawyers and staff, and did not allow the two candidates to make any phone calls.

The debates used to be run by the League of Women voters, but they dropped out before 1988. The Commission on Presidential Debates was created as a joint effort of the Republican and Democratic parties and, though a non-profit, is controlled by them. They are not a governmental agency in any way and I'm sure that Stein knows that.
Maybe they should sponsor their own debates and invite whoever they want.

Curtism
10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Maybe they should sponsor their own debates and invite whoever they want.

Amy Goodman of Democracy Now has been running post-debates with third party candidates where she airs exerpts from the national debates, repeats the questions and gives the alternate party candidates an opportunity to respond. I've not seen/heard the one from last night yet but managed to listen in on the two previous debates and found them quite interesting. Needless to say, the contrast has been rather stark.

For those interested, here's a link to the most recent one.

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/10/17/exclusive_expanding_the_debate_with_third

BrianY
10-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Not a threat. A distraction from reality.

Paul Pless
10-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Amy Goodman of Democracy Now has been running post-debates with third party candidates where she airs exerpts from the national debates, repeats the questions and gives the alternate party candidates an opportunity to respond. I've not seen/heard the one from last night yet but managed to listen in on the two previous debates and found them quite interesting. Needless to say, the contrast has been rather stark.

For those interested, here's a link to the most recent one.

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/10/17/exclusive_expanding_the_debate_with_third

Thanks for posting this.

Curtism
10-18-2012, 05:46 AM
You bet, Paul. I'm glad you spotted it.

If you click around on that site, I'm sure the other segments are available as well.

Incidentally, I'm with Switters here:

Not only the so called corporate elite but the two main parties, a large portion of the general public and even some of the more reasonable posters here.

It didn't really hit home until I saw the arrest,detention and mistreatment of Stein and her running mate outside of the last presidential debate. What are we (the collective) so afraid of that we'd turn a blind eye to nonsense like this? I mean, I get the concerns of those here who worry that votes for alternate candidates will water down/detract from potential votes for the top-two but, isn't that (suposed to be) how it works in our system?

For me it further exposes those who would reject ideas from alternative sources, so much that they vociferously smear the source and anyone who happens to agree with their position.

For another example, look at the way Ron paul was treated by his own party. I certainly don't agree with many of his positions but, particularly seeing the ammount of support he has, I think he should be allowed a voice. But no, they spent great efforts painting him as an old kook and basically barred him from the RNC.

Similar efforts have been made against Stein and the other alternates, and that we would just ignore this sort of exclusion is just plain wrong.

BrianY
10-18-2012, 09:50 PM
The problem with third party candiates and the debates is how do you determine which of them - and there are alway a bunch of third party candidates officially entered in big races - you invite to participate and which do you ignore. I don't know about these debates this year but in the past the debate organizers set a threshold - the third party candidates' party had to recieve a certain percentage of votes in a previous election, or something like that. It seems to me that this kind of thing is a reasonable way to deal with the problem. After all, you don't want to open up the debates to any and every person who's officially running event though they haven't got a chance in hell. In may ways it's simply a matter of practicality.

In 2008, the green party candidate received less that 0.5% of the vote nationwide. IMO That's not enough for the party to be taken seriously in national elections. local elections are an entirely different matter.

The only way that third parties are ever going to have a chnce on the national level is to first build up power at the local and state levels. It is entirely unreasonable for the green party - or anyone else - to expect to be taken seriously at the national level until they build large scale support at the local and state levels.