PDA

View Full Version : Aussies: Your top 5 films?

Chip-skiff
10-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Just watched The Proposition, which is a brutal but handsomely-crafted film. Looking over my collection, I found quite a few Australian films, some of which are favourites.

What are your top 5 picks, either for sheer pleasure or for an understanding of the Australian experience?

PeterSibley
10-15-2012, 09:10 PM
One of my favourites .http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/review/film/s966687.htm

'The Proposition' was good but a little heavy.

Jim Bow
10-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Anyone recall an Aussie film about a janitor at the Trolley bus barn who builds an electric car and drives around the city under trolley wires in the early morning hours?
Can't remember anything else about the movie.

Jim Bow
10-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Anyone recall an Aussie film about a janitor at the Trolley bus barn who builds an electric car and drives around the city under trolley wires in the early morning hours?
Can't remember anything else about the movie.

Google found it: "Malcolm"

WX
10-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Malcolm is a wonderfully quirky film. The Castle is also good. Ten Canoes, Kenny. Australia (the movie) is rubbish in my book. Apart from Happy Feet I don't know about the more recent productions.

Meli
10-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Pricilla
Strictly Ballroom
The cars that ate Paris
Death in Brunswick
Two Hands

We do black humour quite well

WX
10-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Malcom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlaA_TPMXqY

David G
10-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Priscilla was both touching... and a total hoot. Loved it.

Gerarddm
10-15-2012, 11:17 PM
What, no vote for Peter Weir? Picnic at Hanging Rock (http://forum.woodenboat.com/wiki/Picnic_at_Hanging_Rock), The Last Wave (http://forum.woodenboat.com/wiki/The_Last_Wave) and Gallipoli (http://forum.woodenboat.com/wiki/Gallipoli_(1981_film)).

The Light Horsemen?

Even ( gasp ) The Coca-Cola Kid?

Kevin T
10-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Breaker Morant - Contains one of my all time favorite dialogue exchanges,

The firing squad is about to execute Morant and Bryan Brown's characters, when the head guy asks Morant if he'd like a priest, to which he replies"no I'm a pagan" they then ask Brown's character. Brown asks Morant, "What's a pagan?"

To which Morant replies words to the effect " let's just say I don't believe in some all powerful deity dispensing justice"

Brown: "I'm a pagan too"

Morant: "Shoot straight ya bastids don't muck it up"

If it was never a stage play it ought to be, very theatrical, two main locations, a courtroom and the confinement area for the prisoners.

Peter Weir also directed, I believe.

Meli
10-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Babe

wharf rat
10-16-2012, 02:06 AM
Just watched The Proposition, which is a brutal but handsomely-crafted film. Looking over my collection, I found quite a few Australian films, some of which are favourites.

What are your top 5 picks, either for sheer pleasure or for an understanding of the Australian experience?

I'm not sure mine further the understanding of the Oz experience but I really liked:
Breaker Morant, definitely.
Walkabout
Adams Woman

Then it gets a little weird:
Cosi
Young Einstein

PeterSibley
10-16-2012, 02:14 AM
Pricilla
Strictly Ballroom
The cars that ate Paris
Death in Brunswick
Two Hands

We do black humour quite well

Definitely Two Hands, Australian attitudes to guns :d.

skuthorp
10-16-2012, 05:10 AM
Don't do fiction or much film, but Ten Canoes was good. Maybe because it was a near documentary.

purri
10-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Walkabout was a Roeg wankfest of outsiders trying to get the gist of the "other" with "titillation" provided by Jenny Agutter

Ten 'Ken Oaths was exceptional work as the participants told their own story.

Gaylibolli was a touch jingoist OOT

PAHR the same but a bonnetfest with period feminist not so subtext

Mad Dog Morgan was excellent (Dennis Hopper)

Mad Max you can have

Death in Brunswick is great

The Family? a recent release with Jaqui Weaver is good

Wolf Creek is very good

Cars that Ate Paris (vintage gothic horror)

Bran Nue Day not too bad but you need to know some of the local Yolngu fella patois

Beneath Clouds (Ivan Sen) is very good

Castor and Pollux (Phil Noyce) his first feature is close to my heart (I was around)

And "Snowtown" isn't too bad (sort of a Winter's Bone)

The TV series Blue Murder is outstanding as is a current series "Rake".

purri
10-16-2012, 05:29 AM
Sku, I had a yarn with Richard Birrun Birrun one of the leads and clan Elders. He reckoned that de Heer gave them authorship of the narration process thus it may fit into the notion of a reverse doco.QUOTE=skuthorp;3564491]Don't do fiction or much film, but Ten Canoes was good. Maybe because it was a near documentary.[/QUOTE]

WX
10-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Ten Canoes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY6GKoQ5Cxg

purri
10-16-2012, 05:49 AM
^ Sorry mate I forgot Rabbit Proof Fence. A great yarn.

Flying Orca
10-16-2012, 07:13 AM

And a ripping soundtrack, too.

GaryK
10-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Surprised no one mentioned the best of all time: "Chopper".
It has everything, funnies AND violence.

"Why would I shoot a bloke BANG, then drive him to the bloody car and wizz him off to the hospital at a hundred miles an hour? It defeats the purpose of having shot him in the first place."

"Aw, look. The bloke's been my best mate since 1975. We've had our fall-outs from time to time. It's no big deal. It's like... if your mum stabbed you."

Chip-skiff
10-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks. I'm making a list. Of 32 Oz films (34 counting TV series) I've seen 5. So I've got some catching up to do.

Just checked my shelf: The Man from Snowy River, Gallipoli, Mad Max, The Road Warrior, Lantana, and Babe. I was surprised no one mentioned The Road Warrior, which I love, or Muriel's Wedding, or The Boys Are Back. For some reason, Netflix doesn't have Breaker Morant available on DVD and our satellite internet connection is too slow for streaming. Guess I'll have to buy it.

Any further nominees?

WX
10-16-2012, 03:39 PM
How could I have forgotten that one?
Another good one is The Tracker.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212132/

If you want good visuals of the Hawkesbury River then The Oyster Farmer is good.

Chip-skiff
10-16-2012, 03:47 PM
My memory's gone bad. I've seen both The Tracker and The Oyster Farmer, both good.

For some reason I can't remember titles.

seanz
10-16-2012, 03:47 PM
The Man Who Sued God............it's like The Bilge on screen.
;)

tigerregis
10-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Living in Canada, I always wondered how the TV series, The Slap, played down under. Watched it last winter/spring and it had me guessing about all the sub-plots.

Chip-skiff
10-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Just recalled another one: Ned Kelly.

There seem to be quite a few outlaw movies of various sorts. Rather few films about ships and seafaring. That might be a matter of cost, I guess.

PeterSibley
10-16-2012, 04:12 PM
The Man Who Sued God
Rabbit Proof Fence Tracker

all good, very good actually.

AndyG
10-16-2012, 04:13 PM
It took 21 posts to get to Muriel's Wedding? C'mon, people ... "wake up to yourself!"

And where's The Dish?

Andy

seanz
10-16-2012, 04:15 PM
I've been trying to remember that one, The Castle was more successful, but I liked The Dish a lot more.

Chip-skiff
10-16-2012, 04:22 PM
I've seen The Dish, too.

What's the matter with my brain?

PeterSibley
10-16-2012, 04:22 PM
It took 21 posts to get to Muriel's Wedding? C'mon, people ... "wake up to yourself!"

And where's The Dish?

Andy

I think I had the lid nailed firmly on "Muriel's Wedding", way too close to home to want to remember.:D

"The Bank" was a bit of fun.

Chip-skiff
10-16-2012, 04:25 PM
I think I had the lid nailed firmly on "Muriel's Wedding", way too close to home to want to remember.:D

Wasn't the musical Mamma Mia sort of a bloated version of Muriel's Wedding?

PeterSibley
10-16-2012, 04:34 PM
I managed to avoid Mamma Mia !

John B
10-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Muriels wedding to Sixth Sense and forward,Toni Collette has gone on to be an outstanding actress, as Guy Pierce has become just a terrific actor. They usually mean that the standard of the film they're in will be up there.
My daughter and her team from the school trip they have organised , ran a fundraiser evening at a local cinema theatre. We all went along and watched Sapphires. I enjoyed it, perfect for that crowd of parents. Feel good ,funny and entertaining, made a few points.

Don't get me started on Mamma mia. That soundtrack had every old fart drunk in the bay whining on about fernando for an entire season.

Chip-skiff
10-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Don't get me started on Mamma mia. That soundtrack had every old fart drunk in the bay whining on about fernando for an entire season.

Never that keen on ABBA, so I thought it was hideous. But the Wolf Goddess wanted to see it because her sister thought it was good.

Duncan Gibbs
10-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Ray Lawrence's first film Bliss has to be one of my all time favourite movies from anywhere ever, then here's a few others:

The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith
Red Dog
Love and Other Catastrophes
Looking For Alibrandi
Jindabyne
Balibo
Beautiful Kate
Ghosts of The Civil Dead
Proof
The Oyster Farmer

Meli
10-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Crikey, I need to get onto our reservation site.
So many great aussie fillums here I meant to see and never go round to.

No other takers for "Strictly Ballroom"? one of my favourits.

Glad no one mentioned "moulin Rouge"
Awful (Cant stand Kidman :D)

Tokyo Story was reasonably good if a bit weird and miserable

Duncan Gibbs
10-16-2012, 06:09 PM
(Cant stand Kidman :D)

Tokyo Story was reasonably good if a bit weird and miserable

Tokyo story had no real plot/story line at all.

"Kidman": You just reminded me of one bloody terrific movie: Dead Calm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews46/dead_calm_blu-ray/large/large_dead_calm_blu-ray_10.jpg

PeterSibley
10-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Ray Lawrence's first film Bliss has to be one of my all time favourite movies from anywhere ever, then here's a few others:

The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith
Red Dog
Looking For Alibrandi
Jindabyne
Balibo
Beautiful Kate
Ghosts of The Civil Dead
Proof
The Oyster Farmer

Seconded on Bliss

The Bigfella
10-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Somersault (a favourite because I know one of the lead actresses)

So, Crocodile Dundee doesn't get a mention?

Tomorrow, When the War Began

Romper Stomper

The Year of Living Dangerously

Chip-skiff
10-16-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm getting a good long list from this, and will compile it and post it once the thread trickles down to page 2.

bamamick
10-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I would watch anything with Rachel Griffiths in it. I think she is pretty cool.

There are some good films on this thread. I have seen at least half of them if not more, and own at least 25% of them. Of the bunch 'Breaker Morant' is probably my favorite, though it's been awhile.

I used to think that the PERFECT Aubrey/Maturin pairing would be Jack Thompson and Jonathan Pryce. Could anyone think of better?

Mickey Lake

Duncan Gibbs
10-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Eye of The Storm is a pretty amazing film too.

GaryK
10-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Don's Party, kind of revolutionary at the time, probably Bruce Beresford's best (after Breaker Morant), certainly his funniest.

The Bigfella
10-16-2012, 10:40 PM
The Adventures of Bazza McKenzie

The Bigfella
10-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Oh, and one I've got on my 'puter here... thanks to a fellow Aussie

Stone.

John B
10-16-2012, 11:16 PM
With the guy getting killed in the opening scene, or was it the opening credits( whatever you call that). I saw a still taken from that being used in some promo over the last few years and it took me back to 19 seventy frozen stiff. As a 15 or 17 yr old I never could understand why they kept it in. They obviously had no idea when they reused the still.

GaryK
10-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Don't forget Animal Kingdom - brutal, sobering story of a Melbourne crime family.

purri
10-17-2012, 12:23 AM
^ Yep, That's the one I misnamed as "The Family".

Portland
10-17-2012, 04:16 AM
What about "Blood Oath" with Bryan Brown ?.
It was pretty sobering for me , as I had an uncle POW in Ambon.
Rob J.

PeterSibley
10-17-2012, 04:21 AM
Two Hands with Bryan Brown, Australian gangsterism, with a twist.

purri
10-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Dead Calm was certainly noteable if only for "Our Nic's A$$" that the shortarse yank coveted. Really!

"Kidman": You just reminded me of one bloody terrific movie: Dead Calm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews46/dead_calm_blu-ray/large/large_dead_calm_blu-ray_10.jpg

The Bigfella
10-17-2012, 06:17 AM
With the guy getting killed in the opening scene, or was it the opening credits( whatever you call that). I saw a still taken from that being used in some promo over the last few years and it took me back to 19 seventy frozen stiff. As a 15 or 17 yr old I never could understand why they kept it in. They obviously had no idea when they reused the still.

That's the one... boat winched wire across the road. There was also a swan dive off the Gap... bike and rider. Bit funny looking back on it now... a whole bunch of fairy actors trying to pretend to be bikies.

Larks
10-17-2012, 06:52 AM
A few already mentioned would probably be included in my top five, but for the sake of another top five:

The Year of Living Dangerously
Sunday Too far Away
The Overlanders
Far East
The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith

Flying Orca
10-17-2012, 07:14 AM
No other takers for "Strictly Ballroom"? one of my favourits.

Mine too.

GaryK
10-17-2012, 09:50 AM

You guys must be meaning Japanese Story with Toni Collette?
Too depressing for moi.

Chip-skiff
10-27-2012, 05:08 PM
I think I got everything proposed. Sorted the films by date. Obviously, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

(The Forum ate my tabs, alas.)

- - -

1946 - The Overlanders

1970 - Adam's Woman

1971 - Walkabout

1972 - The Adventures of Barry McKenzie

1974 - The Cars That Ate Paris
Stone

1975 - Picnic at Hanging Rock
Sunday Too Far Away

1976 - Caddie
Mad Dog Morgan
Don's Party

1977 - The Last Wave

1978 - The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith

1979 - Mad Max

1980 - Breaker Morant

1981 - Gallipoli
The Road Warrior

1982 - The Year of Living Dangerously
Far East
The Man from Snowy River

1983 - Phar Lap

1985 - The Coca Cola Kid
Bliss

1986 - Crocodile Dundee
Malcolm

1987 - The Lighthorsemen

1988 - Young Einstein
Ghosts of The Civil Dead

1989 - Dead Calm

1990 - Blood Oath (aka Prisoners of the Sun)

1991 - Death in Brunswick
Proof

1992 - Strictly Ballroom
Romper Stomper

1994 - The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Muriel's Wedding

1995 - Babe

1996 - Cosi

1997 - The Castle

1999 - Two Hands

2000 - The Dish
Chopper
Looking For Alibrandi

2001 - The Man Who Sued God
Lantana
The Bank

2002 - The Tracker
Rabbit Proof Fence
Beneath Clouds

2003 - Ned Kelly
The Honourable Wally Norman (? came up when I searched for Ten Ken Oaths)
Gettin' Square
Japanese Story

2004 - The Oyster Farmer
Somersault

2005 - Wolf Creek
The Proposition

2006 - Kenny
Ten Canoes
Jindabyne

2009 - Castor and Pollux
Beautiful Kate
Balibo
The Boys Are Back

2010 - Bran Nue Dae
Tomorrow, When the War Began

2011 - The Eye of the Storm
Animal Kingdom
Snowtown
Red Dog

2012 - The Sapphires

Meli
10-27-2012, 05:43 PM
OOPS I think we forgot "Shine" 1996 geoffrey Rush

Portland
10-27-2012, 05:56 PM
One I enjoyed was "The right hand man" , mainly because at the time I was driving horses a lot , and appreciated the movie as a horseman. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4192997/the_right_hand_man_movie_trailer/
Rob J.

Chip-skiff
10-27-2012, 06:32 PM
One I enjoyed was "The right hand man" , mainly because at the time I was driving horses a lot , and appreciated the movie as a horseman. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4192997/the_right_hand_man_movie_trailer/
Rob J.

I rode for a living for quite a while, so I might like it. I'll do an update in a couple weeks. Quite a few Oz classics don't seem to be available in the 'States via Netflix. Breaker Morant has been in the Saved (maybe sometime) part of my queue for two years.

purri
10-27-2012, 06:37 PM
My humour went awry. Ten 'Ken Oaths is "Ten Canoes". But Wally Norman isn't bad.

Chip-skiff
10-27-2012, 07:56 PM
My humour went awry. Ten 'Ken Oaths is "Ten Canoes". But Wally Norman isn't bad.

I shan't ask you to explain. I probably wouldn't get it.

Meli
10-27-2012, 08:04 PM
And Rick would get scotted :D

Paul Pless
10-27-2012, 08:11 PM
I think I got everything proposed. Sorted the films by date. Obviously, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Which one is the one about the "Dingo got my baby"?

Chip-skiff
10-27-2012, 08:27 PM

Picnic at Hanging Rock.

GaryK
10-27-2012, 09:15 PM

A Cry in the Dark (Meryl Streep plays Lindy)

Bernadette
10-27-2012, 09:23 PM
has anyone mentione "10 canoes" yet? i was suprised to find that i really liked this film.
i also enjoyed "red dog".
i love larconic nature of australian films.

Chip-skiff
10-27-2012, 09:26 PM
I spent a couple hours compiling a list. Scroll back to the previous page for a look.

Larks
10-27-2012, 10:43 PM
I spent a couple hours compiling a list. Scroll back to the previous page for a look.

Great list!! I think my favourite version of the Ned Kelly movie was the one where Mick Jagger played Ned Kelly, he was very credible (except for his rather poor attempt at a beard).

http://www.widerscreenings.com/nedkelly2.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/Ned_Kelly_in_1880.png/220px-Ned_Kelly_in_1880.png

purri
10-27-2012, 11:49 PM
See "Ten 'Ken Oaths".
has anyone mentione "10 canoes" yet? i was suprised to find that i really liked this film.
i also enjoyed "red dog".
i love larconic nature of australian films.

Gerarddm
10-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Year of Living Dangerously is one of my favorite films of all time, but I don't think of it as Aussie, despite Mel Gibson.

Meli
10-28-2012, 01:28 AM
Aussie Director, adapted from a novel by an aussie author, shot in aus?
Plot about an australian correspondant..
Why dont you think of it as an aussie film:confused:

Great film BTW :D

Bernadette
10-28-2012, 01:30 AM
regarding "a cry in the dark" ...never heard of it, but anyhow, after many many years, lindy chamberlain has since (recently) been acquitted of the murder of her baby, azaria.

the judge said the dingo did it.

i wonder if bob dylan will do a ballard on that for us (me thinking "joey" and "hurricane").

Bernadette
10-28-2012, 01:33 AM
i didnt like "picinic at hanging rock"...i always thought it was a 'stupid' movie. didnt really have much of a story line other than, ...girl goes missing...

Meli
10-28-2012, 01:57 AM
regarding "a cry in the dark" ...never heard of it, but anyhow, after many many years, lindy chamberlain has since (recently) been acquitted of the murder of her baby, azaria.

i wonder if bob dylan will do a ballard on that for us (me thinking "joey" and "hurricane").

It was called "evil angels" here

purri
10-28-2012, 03:27 AM
BTW it's rumoured that the dingo was Irish and ate the Azalea.

Larks
10-28-2012, 05:31 AM

hmm, there's been a revived opinion that Rubin Carter was actually guilty but had conned Dylan......just sayin'.

(That's not to say that I think Lindy Chamberlain is guilty, quite the contrary, but I also don't believe that the dingo did it (I must qualify that I was in Alice at the time and knew a number of the lawyers on both sides of the case so my opinion may be skewed....))

GaryK
10-28-2012, 10:07 AM
It was called "evil angels" here

shoot, I thought it was called that overseas, it was such a forgettable movie, I forgot what it was called.

purri
10-28-2012, 05:15 PM
And as far Streep's interp of an Oz accent I thought she was speaking Seth Efrikan.

Chip-skiff
10-30-2012, 12:25 AM
One to add to the list, with four stars: Broken Hill (2009).

An excellent treatment of station life, prison, and music, without any of the predictable flourishes. Suitable for the whole family, but not in the least cute or stupid.

doorstop
10-30-2012, 03:18 AM
Stone...

purri
10-30-2012, 03:52 AM
Nah,

Was there pre and post. As someone else has posted t'was a NIDA wankfest of streetcred tryhards and advertortorials sucking up to a few local bikers who drank at the the Forth and Clyde.

doorstop
10-30-2012, 04:23 AM
Was fun at the time....

Saw a French film, "The Intouchables" Saturday. Worth watching.

The Bigfella
12-05-2012, 08:24 PM
"Backroads"

Phillip Noyce's first feature length film, starring Bill Hunter and Gary Foley. From 1977, remastered in 2004. Its got words in it that'd get your nuts cut off these days, but its a fabulous look at indigenous life in the 70's in Oz. Well worth seeking out.

http://www.creativespirits.info/resources/movies/backroads

purri
12-05-2012, 11:30 PM
BTW from my last convo Gary is still not sparing the horses. OTOH I believe Noyce's "Castor and Pollux" (1972?) was his first feature film (contrasting Finks MC activities with a gay hippie poet "Adrian" and his acolytes). I was left on the cutting room floor but the premiere was a blast.

The Bigfella
12-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Castor and Pollux was 1973... but Backroads was his first feature length film. Not much in it... one was 44 minutes, the other 60.

purri
12-06-2012, 05:18 AM
So I was there at the events but you knew the director's intent no doubt...

Laughing.

The Bigfella
12-06-2012, 05:31 AM
So I was there at the events but you knew the director's intent no doubt...

Laughing.

Want me to tell you why you ended up on the cutting room floor?

purri
12-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Editor's discretion (and my good luck) as there were some warrantable matters not shown. BTW the cannon were part of the annual war games at Barellan (they were deemed as illegal weaponry). We usually used cement filled beer cans and chain shot. The older fella in the clip was Gus the Yugo, he ran/owned a welding works at Annandale and rode an Inter frame fitted with Manx motor.

PeterSibley
12-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Hmmmmm :d:cool:

purri
12-07-2012, 12:10 AM
^ Yes. I have led a "fulsome " life to date and could never do a completely honest autobiography. Jest saying...

A google on "Castor and Pollux Noyce" brings up a 3 minute clip.

GaryK
12-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Bit of big noting of one's selves over here. Good.
I've been in a movie, made the final cut too.

T'was a '86 Taiwanese anti commie propaganda flick, name escapes me, a terrible little thing, bad performances throughout, except my own of course, with only one line in my part, which I thought was nuanced and perfectly delivered (got to hold a toy gun too). Worth every bit of the $75 salary.

So I beat you all.

purri
12-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Yep. That one rates if only for the schlock value.