PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Help the Poor

Ian McColgin
10-15-2012, 07:39 PM

Charity president unhappy about Paul Ryan soup kitchen ‘photo op’

By Felicia Sonmez , Updated: October 15, 2012

http://www.commondreams.org/sites/commondreams.org/files/imce-images/ryan_washes_dishes_xlarge.jpg

The head of a northeast Ohio charity says that the Romney campaign last*week “ramrodded their way” into the group’s Youngstown soup kitchen so that*GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan could get his picture taken washing*dishes in the dining hall.

Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul*Society, said that he was not contacted by the Romney campaign ahead of the*Saturday morning visit by Ryan, who stopped by the soup kitchen after a*town hall at Youngstown State University.

“We’re a faith-based organization; we are apolitical because the majority*of our funding is from private donations,” Antal*said in a phone interview*Monday afternoon. “It’s strictly in our bylaws not to do it. They showed up*there, and they did not have permission. They got one of the volunteers to*open up the doors.”

He added: “The photo-op they did*wasn’t*even accurate. He did nothing. He*just came in here to get his picture taken at the dining hall.”

Ryan had stopped by the soup kitchen for about 15 minutes on his way to the*airport after his Saturday morning town hall in Youngstown. By the time he*arrived, the food had already been served, the patrons had left, and the*hall had been cleaned.

Upon entering the soup kitchen, Ryan, his wife and three young children*greeted and thanked several volunteers, then donned white aprons and offered to clean some*dishes. Photographers snapped photos and TV cameras shot footage of Ryan*and his family washing pots and pans that did not*appear to be dirty.

According to a Romney aide not authorized to speak publicly about the*event, the campaign followed its usual protocol for impromptu, on-the-road*stops by candidates: A staffer was dispatched to the St. Vincent De Paul*Society ahead of Ryan’s visit Saturday morning and spoke with a woman in*charge on site, who said that it would be fine for the congressman to stop*by. The campaign did not contact Antal*ahead of the visit.

The woman on site told the Romney staffer that some of the volunteers had*already left, but that most were happy to remain until Ryan arrived,*according to the aide. After Ryan left the soup kitchen, the woman*approached a campaign staffer and expressed gratitude for Ryan’s visit, the*aide said.

Chris Maloney, Ohio communications director for the Romney campaign, said*that the visit by Ryan had been intended to highlight the work of the soup*kitchen volunteers.

“Our campaign and Congressman Ryan were pleased to bring attention to the*meaningful charitable contributions the St. Vincent De Paul Society makes*to people in need,” Maloney said.

Antal, a self-described independent voter, said that he “can’t fault my*volunteers” for letting the campaign in but said that the campaign *“didn’t*go through the proper channels.”

He noted that the soup kitchen relies on funding from private individuals who might reconsider their*support if it appears that the charity is favoring one political candidate*over another.

“I can’t afford to lose funding from these private individuals,” he said.*“If*this was the Democrats, I’d have the same exact problem.”

He added that the incident had caused him “all kinds of grief” and that regardless of whether Ryan had intended to serve food to patrons or wash dishes, he would not have allowed the visit to take place.*

“Had they asked for permission, it*wouldn’t*have been granted. … But I*certainly*wouldn’t*have let him wash clean pans, and then take a picture,” Antal*said.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Paul Ryan in an earlier photo op with the poor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=167IhlXnN2Y

Vince Brennan
10-15-2012, 07:54 PM
But isn't this the typical Repugnican (or at least Three Party) response to any problem? "Let's look like we're doing SOMETHING, even if we're just washing already clean dishes..." ?

REALLY good article. Too bad it'll have zero impact.

Arizona Bay
10-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Busted!

But they have no shame.

Chris Coose
10-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Just raised a lot of throw-up in my mouth.
He's a ****.

hanleyclifford
10-15-2012, 08:14 PM
It would have been more convincing if he had taken off his tie and watch.

Shang
10-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Note, Ian scooped me on this item, and posted a more comprehensive story.

Donn
10-15-2012, 08:50 PM
http://thedailyuplift.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/soupkitchen.jpg

Chip-skiff
10-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Donn- Could you put that in your own words?

Or are you afraid to do that?

Shang
10-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Note the difference: 2009--new administration seeking help for the poor in a time of crisis.
Ryan, 2012,--lying to solicit votes.

DARLENE SUPERVILLE 03/ 5/09WASHINGTON "Do you want some risotto?"

With that, first lady Michelle Obama began scooping mushroom risotto to help serve lunch Thursday to some of the mostly homeless men and women who get free meals at a soup kitchen several blocks from the White House.

Her visit was designed to highlight the work of places like Miriam's Kitchen, as demand for their services has risen during the economic downturn, and her interest in community service, an issue she wants to focus on as first lady.

Mrs. Obama urged people to donate food and, if they can't afford that, then to just give a hand.

"There is a moment in time when each and every one of us needs a helping hand," she said after leaving the serving station. "Miriam's Kitchen has become a place where so many people have been able to find that helping hand."

"Their work here has meant the world to so many and it is an example of what we can do as a country and as a community to help folks when they're down," Mrs. Obama said. "Helping is an easy thing to do."

The fruit salad served along with the risotto, steamed broccoli, apple-carrot muffins and whole wheat rolls was prepared with fresh fruit donated by the White House. Eight cases were sent over, enough to make Thursday's salad and serve at breakfast for two weeks, said Scott Schenkelberg, executive director of Miriam's Kitchen.

Miriam's, which opened in 1983, serves breakfast daily and lunch on Wednesdays. The Thursday meal was special, and the men and women eating that day hadn't been told Mrs. Obama was coming.

The donation by the White House is a "tremendous example" of how easy it is to become involved, Schenkelberg said.

"It's easy and painless and we need your help," he said.

Mrs. Obama said people should make "good, healthy food" the focus of any donation.

"There are people all across the country, even in these times, who can lend a hand and volunteer at a soup kitchen, even if they don't have the resources to donate," she added. "So we're all going to need one another in these times."

Mrs. Obama tied on a purple apron and joined five volunteers on the serving line behind a glass counter, where she spent about 15 minutes scooping risotto and chatting with the guests as they were called to the line for lunch...

...Before turning serious, Mrs. Obama said her purpose for coming "was to listen, learn and to scoop some risotto. And hopefully everybody was satisfied with my scoops. Can I hear something for my scoops?"

Amid the laughter and the applause, someone shouted, "Seconds!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/05/michelle-obama-serves-lun_n_172299.html#

Exactly what many of us are saying: "Seconds!"

Donn
10-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Donn- Could you put that in your own words?

Or are you afraid to do that?

I know it's difficult for you to figure it out....but you should try.

Chip-skiff
10-15-2012, 09:10 PM
I know it's difficult for you to figure it out....but you should try.

Not difficult. I figured you out quite a while ago.

Donn
10-15-2012, 09:13 PM
:d:d:d

Kevin T
10-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Ian I think you left off the rest of the thread title. Shouldn't the title be:
"Republicans Help the Poor Stay Poor."

Yes leaving the watch and tie on gave the whole "set piece" a nice air of inauthenticity. Well done Mr. Ryan!
Bravo!

hanleyclifford
10-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Ian I think you left off the rest of the thread title. Shouldn't the title be:
"Republicans Help the Poor Stay Poor."

Yes leaving the watch and tie on gave the whole "set piece" a nice air of inauthenticity. Well done Mr. Ryan!
Bravo! This is the sort of thing that causes one to question his view of the voters' intelligence. OTOH, he may know more than we do!

Kevin T
10-15-2012, 09:53 PM
This is the sort of thing that causes one to question his view of the voters' intelligence. OTOH, he may know more than we do!

What's that old saying? " No one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the general public" or words to that effect. Is that what you were referencing HC?

Because if you were, I would agree.

hanleyclifford
10-15-2012, 09:57 PM
What's that old saying? " No one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the general public" or words to that effect. Is that what you were referencing HC?

Because if you were, I would agree. I believe it was Mayor Daly. Kinda bad to think it might carry some truth...

Ian McColgin
10-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Why make up junk just because everyone hates Chicago Mayor Daly, father or son. The quote was from H L Menken and is in Bartletts. There is absolutely no excuse for falsifying these things.

hanleyclifford
10-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Why make up junk just because everyone hates Chicago Mayor Daly, father or son. The quote was from H L Menken and is in Bartletts. There is absolutely no excuse for falsifying these things. My mistake, Ian. I stand corrected.

htom
10-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Oh, sorry, he did wash dirty dishes.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/16/14485409-ryan-did-wash-dirty-dishes-during-soup-kitchen-visit?lite

Why should I have expected that?

Chip-skiff
10-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Oh, sorry, he did wash dirty dishes.

He should have washed out his mouth with soap: mum's remedy for lying.

Ian McColgin
10-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Nice thing about multiple threads - we are all happy to know that Ryan DID wash a couple of dishes. What a man. What a humanitarian!

Mad Scientist
10-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Nice thing about multiple threads - we are all happy to know that Ryan DID wash a couple of dishes. What a man. What a humanitarian!

Nobel Peace Prize material, for sure!

Tom

wardd
10-16-2012, 08:03 PM
It would have been more convincing if he had taken off his tie and watch.

if he took off his watch how would he know his 15 mins of fame was up?