PDA

View Full Version : Dark harbor 12.5

BRogers
10-20-2000, 09:02 PM
I have a dark harbor 12.5 that I am rebuilding. I don't know what number it is or any thing about the class. I am looking for any info on the class builders, were they were sailed. any info welcome
thanks
ben

Todd Bradshaw
10-21-2000, 12:31 AM
One of the early issues of WB featured them along with Crowinshields 17.5 version and the similar, Camden Class Knockabout. I think it was in the "designs" column, not a full blown article, but there was some general information. It must have been in the one of the first 20 issues or so. WoodenBoat also sells the plans, which are pretty complete if you need scantlings, sail plan, etc. The 12.5 looks like a great boat and I think there may even still be class racing going on with some of the Dark Harbor sailors in Maine. They might have more info.
T.E.B.

Art Read
10-22-2000, 08:32 PM
Ben.... We have to talk! I've been building a new Dark Harbor 12 for about two years now. I can't tell you much more about extant boats of the class than Todd has already mentioned, but I'd give my left arm to pick your brain about all the construction/hardware details and "trouble" spots your restoration may have revealed to you. There is a book called "Early One-Design Sailboats" by Diana Eames Esterly that mentions both the 12 and the 17. Unfortunatly, it dwells primarily with the 17 foot class with only one,(poor)photo of a 12. You can find it on some of the nautically inclined, used booksellers on the web... That WoodenBoat issue mentioned by Todd is #37. Last I saw, it was still available from the magazine's back issue stock. It covers three similar Crowninsheld Knockabouts, (DH12, DH17 and the Camden Class... Required reading!) Good luck with your project! Any pictures?

[This message has been edited by Art Read (edited 10-22-2000).]

David Tabor (sailordave)
12-24-2000, 12:56 PM
I too have loved the Dark Harbor series boats for years. It is WB #37 that reviewed the plans in the DESIGNS column. I just got a copy last month. Would love to hear more about these projects!!! David (who's freezing in VA)