PDA

View Full Version : Need XP Home help. "Search pictures" has 6000 pictures stored!

skipper68
10-12-2012, 08:55 PM
My "Picture" on my downloads was missing, so I put "search for Pictures' in. That little doggie pulled up 6k pictures!
Many seem to be from sights I have visited. People on FB I've never seen, and "CNN' logos and of course the "hidden files" had all my YH emoticons and such.
A deleted account has my husband having 200 mustangs photos-many in triplicate, and every picture /logo from the mustang sight also is a separated- along with even the pix from the WBF banner into pieces of pictures.
Anyone know how to delete most of these, besides manually on each one?
Is there a program-like silverlight that could be automatically downloading all these? (It crashed with my Adobe)
Could the laptop be indexing every sights images?
I know the icons/emoticons from windows and YH and such need to stay, but many are pictures I have uploaded to Photobucket- then deleted-yet they are still in the laptop,repeatedly-
after deleating them.
All my pictures aboard were all hidden in "Hidden files and folders' Anyone here ever did a search like that and found so many? Oh my!:!

ron ll
10-12-2012, 09:03 PM
I think if you go into your browser and clear the cache you may find much of the problem solved.

skipper68
10-12-2012, 09:23 PM
I have cleared so much, with cCleaner, so I don't think that is it. It seems to be indexing(?) everything when I save a pix, along with everything on the page, like the Amazon "save" button is a pix-along with page logo's.
That's why I'm wondering if it's a setting in the laptop doing this..
Go to search on yours and tell it to find "Hidden" pictures also.
Many were of the boat and 27T cart-over and over. These were all deleted after moving them to photobucket.

Michael Beckman
10-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Its your browsers cache file.

skipper68
10-13-2012, 06:22 AM
I have found them. "Folder:C;Documents and Settings\old user name\Locals\Temporary internet files\content.IE5"
So, now, how can I remove just them?
It looks like the C: is cache.
I don't want to remove mine. Mine have the number under in black. The other 5K have the number under them in blue, if this helps. P.S. I cant copy them to a CD to remove them, as my CD driver is bust. Looks like I'm getting closer.:)

Todd D
10-13-2012, 08:51 AM
C: is your hard drive. To clear your Intenet Explorer cache just do the following.1. At the top of the browswr click "Tools" then click "Internet Options" at the bottom of the menu that opens when you click "Tools"2. In the General Tab, click "Delete" under browsing history. That opens a new window.3. In the new window check "Temporary Internet Files", "History", "Cookies" and "Form Data". then click "Delete".4. When the process is completed, click "OK" and you are done.

Gib Etheridge
10-13-2012, 02:03 PM
I found 2125 photos in mine, mostly junk. If I follow the above deleting advice will it also remove the ones I want to keep that are in "My Pictures"?

How about if I bring up all of them, then use "View" to "Select All", then use file to select "Delete"?

ron ll
10-13-2012, 02:38 PM
No. Clearing your cache only removes backups that are kept for faster loading when you re-visit a same page. It will not remove the originals that you've stored on your hard drive.

skipper68
10-13-2012, 08:06 PM
I always do that too. And cCleaner don't ouch them
My daughter said to use the left click on my laptop. Then we got busy with other family crises.:( All better now with the fam damily- but now wondering what to do with left click and the ones that have blue lettering.....they gotta get gone.

ron ll
10-13-2012, 08:26 PM
If you highlight one of the blue files then right click on it can you see it's properties? Can you change it to a non-protected file then delete it? I'm on my iPhone so I can't check that. Can you somehow batch change all the files properties so they can be deleted?

skipper68
10-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Yes, I have been deleting. 100 and so. 4,000 to go.:(
Something with the left click should let me highlight and delete multiples. Microsoft was SO helpful. They asked Mr. Fixit into my laptop. He couldn't find them either. I right clicked his azz to the toilet too now.:D
Cheap date he was!

Garret
10-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Skipper -

You've misunderstood. Any files in Temporary Internet Files are exactly that: temporary. They have nothing to do with your pictures or anything else on your computer.

If you use Firefox, go to Tools, Options, Advance, Network, & click the 2 Clear Now buttons. Your temporary files will empty - though it may take a while if you have a lot.

If you use IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, General & click the Delete button under Browsing History. Same deal - may take a while.

skipper68
10-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Thanks. Mozilla said nothing-Nada. So wont remove anything, like IE8 Temp files, or cCleaner.
.What is the LEFT click? That is how I delete them.
Godang it!!! I'm going to have to erase 5K pix! ONE AT A TIME. UGHHH!
They CANT stay in my snail up. :( yet there they are.)

Gib Etheridge
10-14-2012, 01:20 AM
C: is your hard drive. To clear your Intenet Explorer cache just do the following.1. At the top of the browswr click "Tools" then click "Internet Options" at the bottom of the menu that opens when you click "Tools"2. In the General Tab, click "Delete" under browsing history. That opens a new window.3. In the new window check "Temporary Internet Files", "History", "Cookies" and "Form Data". then click "Delete".4. When the process is completed, click "OK" and you are done.

Tried it, then tried "Select all" then "Delete". No change.

tomlarkin
10-15-2012, 01:30 AM
I have found them. "Folder:C;Documents and Settings\old user name\Locals\Temporary internet files\content.IE5"
So, now, how can I remove just them?

If these are in a directory from an old logon, you are safe to delete the whole folder 'old user name', and everything below that. Clearing your cache won't remove them. If they won't delete, you may need to start your computer in safe mode to do it.

And if you're still using IE5, please upgrade to IE9 (or Firefox, or Chrome) immediately.

skipper68
10-15-2012, 07:19 AM
I'm on IE8. I use Firefox for my browser. I've been just deleting one at a time. As I said, all are written underneath in blue writing, not black. I keep emptying the trash can.
Some are just advertisement's and banners from sights- like a clouds with rain, or old YH emoticons all separate. The whole Mustang sight is in there also, along with Scot trade, and CBS logo's.
They were hidden until I told the search dog to look for all pictures.
It's the only way to find them.

elf
10-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Skipper, how are you "on IE8" and using Firefox for your browser? IE is a browser.

Either you're using IE or you're using Firefox, or you're using both.

Which is it.

ron ll
10-15-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't have anymore help for you, but I just went to the path you described,
"C: documents and Settings\my user name\Locals\Temporary internet files\content.IE5"
on my machine and found thousands of .KMZ files which are left there by Google Earth. It was easy to delete them all by deleting the folder, but then I went into Google Earth again for just a very brief browse and then went back to this path and again found thousands of new .KMZ files. Amazes me that Google Earth does not clean up after itself.

BTW, the blue text simply means they are compressed files.

Garret
10-15-2012, 02:10 PM
I don't have anymore help for you, but I just went to the path you described,
"C: documents and Settings\my user name\Locals\Temporary internet files\content.IE5"
on my machine and found thousands of .KMZ files which are left there by Google Earth. It was easy to delete them all by deleting the folder, but then I went into Google Earth again for just a very brief browse and then went back to this path and again found thousands of new .KMZ files. Amazes me that Google Earth does not clean up after itself.

BTW, the blue text simply means they are compressed files.

Ron - you can set your browser to auto-delete all temp files when you exit the browser. Each different browser has a different way of doing it, but FF is under Tools, Options & IE is under Internet Options.

John of Phoenix
10-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Did you try to "Restore" to a date before "My pictures" got polluted?

That's always my first step if something doesn't look right - "Restore" the system to a known good point.

skipper68
10-15-2012, 03:39 PM
IE8 is Windows that starts, then goes to my IE Netzero page. I check my email, then close that window and open up Mozilla to browse.
IE is so slow, I can only open up to 2 windows. It takes 5 to freeze Firefox.;)
As long as I know the blue ones are old compresses unused files, I'll just have to continue deleting them.I was wondering if the blue writing was important files to leave in. I have system restored this to the rebuild date. They were still there.
This was rebuilt with Windows home after the Windows pro crashed 7/2010. Why IE5 is on the pix-not a clue.*Shrug*
I have Firefox delete all temp files and history when it closes. I delete others with Windows safety-then cCleaner removes a couple hundred that are left over.
ronll, that sucks that Google is filling up yours with all that. Thank for explaining the blue writing.

elf
10-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Skipper, I don't know how tiny your hard drive is, but for most of us an accumulation of image files as small as you describe is simply not a concern. I realize if you're still using Windoze XP then your computer must be pretty terribly old, but even then, and even running any version of Windoze, I'm not sure why you're concerned about these image files at all.

But at this point in your computer life, I'd be inclined to suggest you go to Wal*Mart and buy a current PC running Windoze 7 with a 500G hard drive for a very few hundred dollars, like maybe $300 or so.

XP must surely be at least 6 years old at this point, and leaky as it can possibly be, inviting all kinds of malware to be dealt with.

Even the leaky security of Windoze 7 would be an order of magnitude improvement, not to mention the phenomenal processor speed increase, which as occured since the days of XP.

Basically, it seems to me, a Mac user even, that you are agitated and wasting your time over this entire issue.

Give it a thought.

skipper68
10-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Oh yes-it is a HP compaq 9010, 2000. I really like how tough it is. Thats why I bought the same with a Wifi. It has a 2004 drive in it.
A friend just bought a $400.00 Dell from Walmart. After a few problems, he brought it in for repairs-only 2 months old. They found a 2004 driver in it, right out of the box.
My daughters 2yr old Toshiba has crashed at least 4 times, and now wont charge. That's in for repairs from the inside connection.
I'll just keep beating this old horse till it cant go any more.It's built Ford Tough, and is more of a desk top lap top with the weight.
I'm still learning things, like these hidden files. As they are not causing problems, I'll just use extra time to delete them.
My Mac I was getting from my daughter was in her truck when she crashed. It's MIA now. :(