PDA

View Full Version : Bad drivers

StevenBauer
10-12-2012, 08:41 PM
So I was pulling into a parking lot today with a client in the truck with me. An older woman (60ish) in a big SUV runs a stop sign and almost hits me. I gave her a "what the heck" look and she rolls down her window and starts yelling at me. I pointed out to her that she had run a stop sign and that as I didn't have a stop sign I had the right of way. She said oh no, she had the right of way. I pointed at her stop sign and raised my hands asking where my stop sign was. She looked and realizing she was wrong and I was right she yelled "Well you have a small dick" and she sped away. I'm still chuckling about it a little. :D

Anyone else have a good bad driver story?

Steven

seanz
10-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Bad driver story? Two letters, 'NZ'

Paul Pless
10-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Anyone else have a good bad driver story?I thought this thread might be about me.:d

Ian McColgin
10-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I live in Massachusetts.

ron ll
10-12-2012, 09:09 PM
If you think her driving was bad, you otta see her putt.

(c'mon. Someone had to say it. )

hokiefan
10-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Was me this morning |:( Changed lanes without checking my driver's side blind spot. About every 5-6 years I get a reminder of why you turn your head to look directly. Fortunately the guy I cut off was awake.

Cheers,

Bobby

skipper68
10-12-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm a great driver. Never an accident, but I realize that most around here drive by memory.:mad:
I could get in an accident 6 times every time I drive, but I drive defensively.
Cars opening doors, people pulling out in front of me, without a car behind me for a mile.
I always wait at the green lights and look both ways for the red light runners. I always turn to look before I change lanes. The side mirror's hide things-like motorcycles.
Just last week, as I was coming up to a 4 lane from a side road with a stop sign, and I seen a school bus was turning onto the road. Yup, I hit the breaks early, or the bus would have drove right over my front end, in it's wide right turn.
We have VERY bad drivers here.

Paul Pless
10-12-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm a great driver. why am i not surprised to hear you say this;)

purri
10-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Did you flash her?
So I was pulling into a parking lot today with a client in the truck with me. An older woman (60ish) in a big SUV runs a stop sign and almost hits me. I gave her a "what the heck" look and she rolls down her window and starts yelling at me. I pointed out to her that she had run a stop sign and that as I didn't have a stop sign I had the right of way. She said oh no, she had the right of way. I pointed at her stop sign and raised my hands asking where my stop sign was. She looked and realizing she was wrong and I was right she yelled "Well you have a small dick" and she sped away. I'm still chuckling about it a little. :D

Steven

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I gave up my car 2 years ago.
I didn't want to but I couldn't afford to keep it running.
I was a truck driver for many years and pretty much used up my nine lives.
I realized after a few months I didn't miss it at all.
I ride a bike now, much safer, less stressful.
Sounds weird I know but it's true.

skipper68
10-12-2012, 10:14 PM
why am i not surprised to hear you say this;)It's true! My insurance, with collision and comp is $367.00 a year.
I've never had an accident, but I also keep my car in top shape. Tires and breaks are REALLY important !!
My daughter just totaled her '07 Saab Crossover, because she bought used tires. One went down the next night. I think they didn't clean the rim. I'm thinking when she re inflated it, it popped going around a corner. It had stabilitrac, yet she 360'd twice before sheering off a telephone pole. Now 7k down the drain.
Told her to get collision.:( She cant stop kicking herself in the azz now.

seanz
10-12-2012, 10:14 PM
When we move out of this phase and hopefully into a new house, we're cutting out a car. I'll be on bikes as much as i can be. They're just a better way.
:)

seanz
10-12-2012, 10:16 PM
It's true! My insurance, with collision and comp is $367.00 a year.
I've never had an accident, but I also keep my car in top shape. Tires and breaks are REALLY important !!
My daughter just totaled her '07 Saab Crossover, because she bought used tires. One went down the next night. I think they didn't clean the rim. I'm thinking when she re inflated it, it popped going around a corner. It had stabilitrac, yet she 360'd twice before sheering off a telephone pole. Now 7k down the drain.
Told her to get collision.:( She cant stop kicking herself in the azz now.

Tell her to give herself a kick from me. If someone else doesn't want them (used tyres) why would you?

Roger Cumming
10-12-2012, 10:35 PM
How did she know that?

BrianW
10-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Did you flash her?

:D

I was thinking a poor choice of shorts and riding the scooter.

epoxyboy
10-13-2012, 02:50 AM
Bad driver story? Two letters, 'NZ' That is what I thought, but after two trips to China I realise that NZ drivers are legally sane, rational beings who merely suffer from the occasional rush of blood to the head. Driving is a competitive sport in China, and may the best man win, regardless of whether their weapon of choice is a bicycle, an overgrown ride-on rotary hoe, or a five ton truck. They don't have amusement parks with scary rides. They have taxis with no seatbelts and psychotic drivers. The more rural it gets, the more you take your life into your own hands. Shanghai is almost OK, around Ningbo is f&&&ing terrifying, and 200k north of Nanjing is alright, but only because there isn't that much other traffic to hit.

Pete

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-13-2012, 03:16 AM
Edinburgh in the tourist season.

Actually tourists are always in season - good basis for a roadkill stew.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-13-2012, 03:31 AM
On second thoughts - South Wales has its fair share of bad drivers but way more than its share of dreadful parkers.

Shoot them I say.

seanz
10-13-2012, 03:33 AM
That is what I thought, but after two trips to China I realise that NZ drivers are legally sane, rational beings who merely suffer from the occasional rush of blood to the head. Driving is a competitive sport in China, and may the best man win, regardless of whether their weapon of choice is a bicycle, an overgrown ride-on rotary hoe, or a five ton truck. They don't have amusement parks with scary rides. They have taxis with no seatbelts and psychotic drivers. The more rural it gets, the more you take your life into your own hands. Shanghai is almost OK, around Ningbo is f&&&ing terrifying, and 200k north of Nanjing is alright, but only because there isn't that much other traffic to hit.

Pete

That belongs to the "worst drivers in the World" category (Mumbai or Miami, so I hear). I just want to be able to drive home up Marshlands Road without having to take evasive action.

Also, before I moved here, I rarely saw people run red lights but it happens a lot here. Well, not really run, more like stroll at speed.

Let's not get onto the legendary tailgating skills......

seanz
10-13-2012, 03:42 AM
On second thoughts - South Wales has its fair share of bad drivers but way more than its share of dreadful parkers.

Shoot them I say.

Mercy sakes.

You poor thing, you sound distraught. Are you, by any chance, employed as a professional driver?

epoxyboy
10-13-2012, 03:52 AM
That belongs to the "worst drivers in the World" category (Mumbai or Miami, so I hear). I just want to be able to drive home up Marshlands Road without having to take evasive action.

Also, before I moved here, I rarely saw people run red lights but it happens a lot here. Well, not really run, more like stroll at speed.

Let's not get onto the legendary tailgating skills......
Suz and I were over in Adelaide earlier this year, and I thought the driving was pretty damn average there. We had to take evasive action several times, as they seem to have a bad habit of just stopping in the left hand lane, and hopping out to do a bit of shopping. And the lane changing, which is communicated telepathically. And running red lights. Gee, sounds just like NZ. They even do the rising inflection at the end of a statement, that makes it sound like a question. NZ is assimilating Aus by stealth buwahaha!!

Pete

purri
10-13-2012, 03:56 AM
On the subject, I posit that some nationalities "navigate" in a state of SFU with scant regard of other users road space and on arriving at their destination change direction without regard for others. Personal experience provides me with visually assertive vehicles and "strategies".

Peerie Maa
10-13-2012, 04:07 AM
The driving can be so eccentric here that the local rag did a centre page spread of "the Barrovian Highway Code".
There are two persistent problems.
A sight impairment that blanks out all road markings.
The only time a turn is indicated is when the driver accidentally hits the indicator stalk when turning the steering wheel.

epoxyboy
10-13-2012, 04:13 AM
On the subject, I posit that some nationalities "navigate" in a state of SFU with scant regard of other users road space and on arriving at their destination change direction without regard for others. Personal experience provides me with visually assertive vehicles and "strategies".
I have found in the past that grotty old long wheelbase land rovers work really well to tune up other drivers road manners. Indicate a lane change, count slowly to four, and go. Lo and behold, a space miraculously appears between the shiny new cars. On the other hand, one of our cars is a wee Nissan March, and it gets no respect.

Pete

seanz
10-13-2012, 04:21 AM
The driving can be so eccentric here that the local rag did a centre page spread of "the Barrovian Highway Code".
There are two persistent problems.
A sight impairment that blanks out all road markings.
The only time a turn is indicated is when the driver accidentally hits the indicator stalk when turning the steering wheel.

We've taken to calling them "confirmation lights". They are used so fleetingly and sparingly that the two flashes as a car swerves around a corner or drifts into another lane seem to say"Yes, I meant to do that".

Duncan Gibbs
10-13-2012, 04:37 AM
Bad driver story? Two letters, 'NZ'

That reminds me about a bunch of Sydney architects I knew who went on a road trip to the NZ ski-fields. They kept hearing about endemic road rage on the car radio and sent back a fax saying that "New Zealand is a lovely place, but it has a terrible problem with road rage: We drove for five hours and passed eight cars."

purri
10-13-2012, 05:07 AM
Yup,

FWIW I drive a VW country buggy in low IR khaki paint with a full roll cage and side crash/rock bars all round. I usually get respect but despite that some inner Sinny suburban dummy mummys have learnt a lesson or two.
I have found in the past that grotty old long wheelbase land rovers work really well to tune up other drivers road manners. Indicate a lane change, count slowly to four, and go. Lo and behold, a space miraculously appears between the shiny new cars. On the other hand, one of our cars is a wee Nissan March, and it gets no respect.

Pete

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-13-2012, 05:18 AM

There are conflicting two schools of thought on indicators down here.

School A - works as per Barrow.

School B - advocates using them as a weapon to sow confusion among your enemies - Left lane indicating right on the approach to a roundabout is always good - assuming you're going straight on.

Swansea and traffic lights is good - especially if you have spent years competing in the London Stoplight GP series.

In London everybody Goes and Stops on "The Amber", by the time the green comes up the first two rows are moving.

In Swansea - Red means "consider stopping" and Green means "consider starting"

So, if you drive in Swansea following London Rules - you'll get T-Boned on the green or Rear-ended on the red.

Peerie Maa
10-13-2012, 06:30 AM

School B - advocates using them as a weapon to sow confusion among your enemies - Left lane indicating right on the approach to a roundabout is always good - assuming you're going straight on.

Swansea and traffic lights is good - especially if you have spent years competing in the London Stoplight GP series.

In London everybody Goes and Stops on "The Amber", by the time the green comes up the first two rows are moving.

So, if you drive in Swansea following London Rules - you'll get T-Boned on the green or Rear-ended on the red.

A bloke accepted a lift from a member of the ethnic minority of your choice.
He was appalled when they ran a red light. On the second red light he remonstrated with the driver, who said "Don't worry, my brother never stops at red, and has never had an accident".

A few minutes later they come to a screeching halt at a green light. "What did you stop for?"

"My brother might be coming the other way"

Chris Coose
10-13-2012, 07:21 AM
So I was pulling into a parking lot today with a client in the truck with me.

Was the client impressed?

The Bigfella
10-13-2012, 07:33 AM
You haven't driven... or ridden... until you've driven the non-toll roads into and out of Jakarta in "peak half day". I got rammed from behind... didn't bother stopping. I rammed a bus... rocked him somewhat too.... because I was sick of them barging their way in. I enjoyed that one. IIRC 6 million people commute from other towns and cities to the Big Jurian every day... and that doesn't include the squillion who live in Jakarta.

George Jung
10-13-2012, 07:43 AM
This past year we moved from a rural area to a small city, a sure prescription for doing some dumb stuff while learning a new routine. I had two women in the car 'directing', and ran a red light, nearly t-boning a young lady who had the right of way. I was driving a Boat, but had it 'under control' (I knew I was going to be able to stop in time - but the young lady did not). Scared the Hell outta her - saw, from the looks on her face, her life flash before her eyes. She said some naughty things to me, before speeding off. My Directors immediately stopped giving me conflicting directions, and I (calmly - it was almost eerie) drove home. Sometimes it all works out.

Hwyl
10-13-2012, 07:50 AM

I should decipher some of this for those of us who live in the land of the free.

"Amber" means yellow, but will forever be amber in the UK thanks to a TV ad in which the actors spoke in such upper class twit tones that the only recognizable words were "Don't be an amber gambler"

In the UK there is a yellow light before the green, I've always assumed that it was to allow drivers time to shift their manual transmissions.

Mrleft8
10-13-2012, 07:52 AM
The double yellow line has become a cross hairs to line up the hood ornament with.
Stop signs/red lights are merely suggestions.
Sharing the road 50/50 with on-coming traffic is still considered to be absolutely vital.... As long as they get to take their half out of the middle....
I think I'm gonna get a bumper sticker printed up that says "If you can read this bumper sticker, you're probably not close enough".

Paul Pless
10-13-2012, 07:59 AM
I've been generally impressed with Michigan drivers. They do drive very fast especially as you get closer to Detroit; Detroit itself has two interstate sections which have the fastest average speed of any interstate in the country. But drivers tend to be courteous, use their indicators, give room for motorcyclists, maintain a decent following rate and most importantly for my sanity - Michigan drivers tend to use the left lane for passing! Of course in a few weeks when we start getting regular snow there'll be the pre-winter-season adjustments and we'll see quite a few cars off, especially on cloverleaf off ramps - it seems to take a week or so of snow and ice for people to get used to the fact that they shouldn't dive off a perfectly maintained ice free interstate at seventy miles an hour onto a curving off camber ramp that may not have been salted - bet that's exciting!

Hwyl
10-13-2012, 08:01 AM
. An older woman (60ish)

Steven

Date of Birth March 24, 1959 (53)

I guess this means I am already olderish and you are fast approaching it.

George Jung
10-13-2012, 08:01 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5rZOxj0QBMZFnf8J2L_WMBFWbxFd9v 7qbuMAhU7QfC3iUSFoc

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-13-2012, 08:28 AM
I guess this means I am already olderish and you are fast approaching it.

Aye,

one day at a time.