PDA

View Full Version : Storms

AnalogKid
10-12-2012, 07:13 PM
I had the day planned out, sanding down the filler on the chines of the kayak interspersed with building the adjustable skeg and it's box to break up the tedium.

First delay was a call from SWMBO to clean out the spouting, a plant was growing 3/4 of the way down causing a small waterfall outside the bathroom window.

Decided to have a tea break while I dried out, and while sitting at the window watched in horror as a sudden gust lifted my lad's tramp off the ground, slowly as each anchor pulled loose, then flipped it upside down and launched it over the fence. I went over the fence to stop it before it hit the neighbour's house, but not soon enough to stop it smashing their pool fence, one section fell completely and is at the bottom of the pool.

I've just got back in and dried out after disassembling and repatriating the twisted mess of metal that is the tramp frame. I then had to spend half an hour drying out the contents of the tool box before it all went rusty.

Not at all according to plan. :mad:

seanz
10-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Not at all according to plan

No, I had some shed work planned. This was not possible as I have to move a large amount of stuff outside into the wind and the rain to do the work I want to do.......

Maybe tomorrow?

AnalogKid
10-12-2012, 10:56 PM
I've just taken the tarp off the temporary car port, the wind was about to do it anyway.

A big lump of a pohutukawa came down out the front, narrowly missing my neighbour's car. She's probably feeling a little nervous right now because there are to huge gum trees in front of the house and the wind is blowing that way.

I'm going to be racing to get this kayak finished for the holidays. We want it for a camping trip to the Kai Iwi lakes for New Year's.

seanz
10-13-2012, 02:16 AM
A few pics and a decent rock/landslide.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/your-weather/7812435/Wet-weather-sets-in

epoxyboy
10-13-2012, 03:09 AM
I've just taken the tarp off the temporary car port, the wind was about to do it anyway.

A big lump of a pohutukawa came down out the front, narrowly missing my neighbour's car. She's probably feeling a little nervous right now because there are to huge gum trees in front of the house and the wind is blowing that way.

I'm going to be racing to get this kayak finished for the holidays. We want it for a camping trip to the Kai Iwi lakes for New Year's.
What are you building? I put together a couple of CLC Chesapeake 16's a few years ago. Great boats for surfing on swells, but hard work quartering the sort of chop Lyttelton gets, due to the single hard chine. Nick Schade had some designs that looked tempting....

Pete

AnalogKid
10-13-2012, 05:43 AM
It's a Selway-Fisher Dart 16' two-man. I've got a Dart 14' single already. I started it two years ago, got the bottom stitched and tortured (it has a flat keelson/hog timber to keep the mid section pretty much flat), the sides stitched on and the bulkheads in place. I hesitated while figuring out how to make a skeg and got no further (although I did build a Yostwerks SeaFlea 12' SOF for my son in the meantime). I restarted this week after a good clean-out of the garage and hope to keep a steady pace for a few weeks until its done.

I expect it will struggle in the typical short, steep upper harbour chop, but hopefully the skeg will help it track better in the wind (it's a big boat, 30" beam) and it will feature a single large cockpit, so no spray skirts, and therefore will be used in calmer days.

John B
10-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I was getting 40 knots in the marina, the guys out doing the gold cup race had been sailing in 50.
69knots at Manukau heads.