PDA

View Full Version : The flashlight thread

StevenBauer
10-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Hey, Donn, what do you think of the Suprabeam flashlights on the back cover of the latest Lee Valley flyer?

Steven

Donn
10-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Not much. Suprabeam is a registered trademark of a Swiss company, Steiner Marketing, but I think they're Chinese flashlights. They aren't bad for the money, but you can do better for less money.

StevenBauer
10-12-2012, 08:29 PM
The blurb says designed, inspected and packaged in Denmark, assembled in China. What would you recommend in the $30 to $45 range. For boat use in summer and dog walking in winter. I'm tired of the cheap flashlights - the switch is what always seems to fail.

Steven

Donn
10-12-2012, 09:08 PM
I need more info. $30-45 is a cheap flashlight.

One light may not be sufficient for both dog-walking and boat use.

Spot or flood?

Small or large?

Rechargeable or not?

Side switch or tail switch?

Metal or plastic?

PeterSibley
10-12-2012, 09:11 PM
One of these,

http://www.sydneytools.com.au/images/Products/Makita%20BML185%20%20.jpg

Rum_Pirate
10-12-2012, 09:23 PM
The blurb says designed, inspected and packaged in Denmark, assembled in China. What would you recommend in the $30 to $45 range. For boat use in summer and dog walking in winter. I'm tired of the cheap flashlights - the switch is what always seems to fail.

Steven

Have no idea on price but this could light your way and give you peace of mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdAbshyL2zU

StevenBauer
10-12-2012, 09:44 PM
I need more info. $30-45 is a cheap flashlight.

One light may not be sufficient for both dog-walking and boat use.

Spot or flood?

Small or large?

Rechargeable or not?

Side switch or tail switch?

Metal or plastic?

I think of cheap flashlights as the $5 to $10 led ones you see all over.

Since boating season will be over here in a few weeks I guess my immediate need would be for the dog walking light. Finding the tennis ball, picking up poo and a brief wave in the direction of an approaching car. It's a quiet neighborhood, not too many cars at night. I'm careful not to blind, just want folks to know we are there.

Spot and flood would be nice. That's what I liked about the Supralight.

I don't care so much about the switch location or material. As long as it holds up. Waterproof would be nice.

i was thinking the Q2 Supralight looked about right. Lee Valley has it for $44.