PDA

View Full Version : Has Canada convicted Jones without a trial?

pefjr
10-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Crime: Exercising his freedom of expression inside the US. Blasphemy in Canada. I guess that is a big "no no" in Canada.:D

http://news.yahoo.com/us-pastor-terry-jones-denied-entry-canada-010735113.html (http://news.yahoo.com/us-pastor-terry-jones-denied-entry-canada-010735113.html)

Old Dryfoot
10-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Nah nothing to do with blasphemy... we'd just prefer to keep a POS like Jones out of our country.

Peerie Maa
10-12-2012, 10:35 AM
We don't want him either

The U.K. had already barred him for “the public good.” from http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/11/koran-burning-pastor-terry-jones-barred-from-canada-for-anti-muslim-film-debate/
http://www.christiantoday.co.uk/article/evangelical.alliance.welcomes.home.office.ban.on.p astor.terry.jones/27397.htm

pefjr
10-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Nah nothing to do with blasphemy... oh.... what does it have to do with, then ?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-12-2012, 12:01 PM
You guys make sure every idiot has a gun. We try to make sure the idiots aren't allowed in.
Hate speech in Canada is taken very very seriously. In your country, it was the status quo only fifty years ago.

Tom Montgomery
10-12-2012, 12:05 PM
"Convicted?"

No.

"Freedom of Expression" includes accepting the consequences of your remarks. But I completely understand how the concept of responsibility is lost on right-wingers such as yourself.

Do you think the U.S.A. would allow a foreigner who advocates jihad against the west to enter the U.S.A.?

The Canadians have every right to determine who may enter their country. As does the U.S.A.

Do you disagree? If so, please explain your position.

My advice is that you try to THINK before you post.
M

tigerregis
10-12-2012, 12:22 PM
If he had applied as a refugee, he would be in for the usual benefits(notwithstanding Jason Kenney's attempts). I do not like bigots, you see, I am biased that way.
The whole thing is a tempest in a teapot.

Steve McMahon
10-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Crime: Exercising his freedom of expression inside the US. Blasphemy in Canada. I guess that is a big "no no" in Canada.:D

http://news.yahoo.com/us-pastor-terry-jones-denied-entry-canada-010735113.html (http://news.yahoo.com/us-pastor-terry-jones-denied-entry-canada-010735113.html)

Hmm. This from someone in a country that won't let one of my brothers in because he was busted with a few grams of grass over 30 years ago. Actually refusing this idiot entry is one of the few things that I can say our current government has done swiftly and correctly in quite a while.

tigerregis
10-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Yeah, three joints and you're a lifer. Get him to apply for a pardon.

Steve McMahon
10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Yeah, three joints and you're a lifer. Get him to apply for a pardon.

He's no longer interested in going to the US. He vacations in Cuba for a few weeks every winter and satisfies his hunger for travel canoeing the far reaches of Labrador and the occasional trip to Ireland or Europe.

pefjr
10-12-2012, 12:54 PM
We don't want him either
from http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/11/koran-burning-pastor-terry-jones-barred-from-canada-for-anti-muslim-film-debate/
http://www.christiantoday.co.uk/article/evangelical.alliance.welcomes.home.office.ban.on.p astor.terry.jones/27397.htmBig surprise. ho humm.....

Tom Montgomery
10-12-2012, 12:56 PM
You don't accept a reasonable reply. ho humm....

Peerie Maa
10-12-2012, 01:01 PM
The General Director of the UK Evangelical Alliance, Steve Clifford, last month contacted Pastor Jones to ask him to refrain from visiting Britain out of concern that it would incite hatred and tensions among different religious and ethnic groups.

He welcomed the ban.
“I had hoped Terry Jones would see sense and decide for himself not to come as his visit risked inflaming tension and inciting violence so I understand why the Home Secretary has taken this step," he said.
He added that Pastor Jones’ understanding of the Christian faith was shared by only a very small minority of believers.
“Christians are called to be passionate peacemakers, challenging any attitude that would lead to violence and respecting even those with whom we would disagree," he said.
from the second website that I linked too. How is your friend the Pastor Pef? You still part of his congregation? :D

pefjr
10-12-2012, 01:07 PM
You guys make sure every idiot has a gun. We try to make sure the idiots aren't allowed in.
Hate speech in Canada is taken very very seriously. In your country, it was the status quo only fifty years ago.You, like a lot of other experts in the bilge, do not comprehend your very own "hate speech" laws.

But I completely understand how the concept of responsibility is lost on right-wingers such as yourself. Monty I think you have a negative understanding of what and who is a ''right winger", therefore I consider the source when reading your posts. I would give you some advice about thinking also, but first you have to show your thinker is not in a dormant state. Like your mention of a jihad.

Tom Montgomery
10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Answer the question posed in Post #6:

The Canadians have every right to determine who may enter their country. As does the U.S.A.

Do you disagree? If so, please explain your position.

pefjr
10-12-2012, 01:12 PM
How is your friend the Pastor Pef? You still part of his congregation? :D:rolleyes: Brit wit?

pefjr
10-12-2012, 01:21 PM
The Canadians have every right to determine who may enter their country. As does the U.S.A. Answer the question posed in Post #6:This question is your typical dumb "requires no answer" question. Why you ask, and why you demand an answer to this is interesting. Are you trying to push me? I have every right to determine who I answer, and what questions I think are reasonable, and on focus to the issue. Do you disagree?

Tom Montgomery
10-12-2012, 01:25 PM
This question is your typical dumb "requires no answer" question. Why you ask, and why you demand an answer to this is interesting. Are you trying to push me? I have every right to determine who I answer, and what questions I think are reasonable, and on focus to the issue. Do you disagree?
Stupid is as stupid does, Bud.

Peerie Maa
10-12-2012, 01:30 PM
This question is your typical dumb "requires no answer" question.

So this thread of yours is a waste of bandwidth? Yesno?

Captain Intrepid
10-12-2012, 01:52 PM

Why would you let a jerk into your house?

pefjr
10-12-2012, 01:59 PM
So this thread of yours is a waste of bandwidth? Yesno?You answer your own question. Is freedom of expression a waste of your time? This boils down to discrimination for Blasphemy which you say does not exist in the UK or Canada.

Tom Montgomery
10-12-2012, 02:06 PM
You are free to say anything you like. You can shout "FIRE" in a crowded theater if that floats yer boat.

Does that excuse you from responsibility?

OOPS! I am so sorry! Right-wingers do not grok "responsibility."

Garret
10-12-2012, 02:10 PM
This is typical pefjr wanting to make them furriners look bad.

Jones has purposely tried to create hatred. IMO, he has done his best to incite Muslims to attack US citizens. Why on earth would a country who had a choice let him in?

Suppose a Canadian had done the same thing (burn the Karan, etc.) in Canada. You think the US would let him in? Ha!

Peerie Maa
10-12-2012, 02:32 PM
You answer your own question. Is freedom of expression a waste of your time? This boils down to discrimination for Blasphemy which you say does not exist in the UK or Canada.

Jones has purposely tried to create hatred. IMO, he has done his best to incite Muslims to attack US citizens. Why on earth would a country who had a choice let him in?

Suppose a Canadian had done the same thing (burn the Karan, etc.) in Canada. You think the US would let him in? Ha!

No Garret,
Pef is still obsessing about Blasphemy, and seeing non existent laws about it everywhere he looks. Sad really.:(

Garret
10-12-2012, 02:43 PM
No Garret,
Pef is still obsessing about Blasphemy, and seeing non existent laws about it everywhere he looks. Sad really.:(

What does Canada refusing him entry have to do with blasphemy? They (& the UK) are simply being smart not letting a terrorist in.

Peerie Maa
10-12-2012, 02:45 PM
What does Canada refusing him entry have to do with blasphemy? They (& the UK) are simply being smart not letting a terrorist in.

Don't ask me, it's pef's obsession.

Garret
10-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Don't ask me, it's pef's obsession.

Good point.... I won't ask you then!

TomF
10-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Hell, we won't even let Botebum in. :(

I'd take him and Scooter well before letting in a guy who'se known for spreading hate.

Peerie Maa
10-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Good point.... I won't ask you then!

This is the official quote on the UK's decision:

A Home Office spokesman said: "Numerous comments made by Pastor Jones are evidence of his unacceptable behaviour.

"Coming to the UK is a privilege not a right and we are not willing to allow entry to those whose presence is not conducive to the public good.
"The use of exclusion powers is very serious and no decision is taken lightly or as a method of stopping open debate."

The bottom line is that his presence, visiting one of our neo-natzi parties, would cause a breach of the peace and cost a fortune in policing, even if he did not say a word in public.

htom
10-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Nah nothing to do with blasphemy... we'd just prefer to keep a POS like Jones out of our country.

Don't blame you in the least. He'll go away eventually, and I don't think it will be to the Hell in Michigan.

John of Phoenix
10-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Coming to the UK is a privilege not a right and we are not willing to allow entry to those whose presence is not conducive to the public good.
Eminently sensible. No wonder junior doesn't get it.

ccmanuals
10-12-2012, 03:34 PM
If a Canadian Imam who burned Bibles in Canada decided to take his show to the US would we allow him to come here. I think not.

pefjr
10-12-2012, 06:41 PM
What have I exposed with this thread?

Stupid is as stupid does, Bud.
You can shout "FIRE" in a crowded theater if that floats yer boat.

OOPS! I am so sorry! Right-wingers do not grok "responsibility."

So this thread of yours is a waste of bandwidth? Yesno?

Pef is still obsessing about Blasphemy,

Hell, we won't even let Botebum in. :( TomThis, I can understand.

What does Canada refusing him entry have to do with blasphemy? They (& the UK) are simply being smart not letting a terrorist in. GarretTerrorist?

:d:d:rolleyes:I think I exposed Pandora's box of XXXX@ss.

Garret
10-12-2012, 07:16 PM
What have I exposed with this thread?

Your lack of reading comprehension & inability to admit that you were wrong?

Ian McColgin
10-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Retaliation for our keeping Farley Mowat out?

But seriously, he must have been on some sort of list for the two allegations that Jones reported formed the basis of his denial of access to be so handy. It will be interesting to see if Jones solves those issues and finds a new reason why he's denied. This is always assuming that he really was denied - everything is on Jones's report and unless the Canadian government confirms that he was denied, we must also be open to the possibility that this is a publicity stunt.

Old Dryfoot
10-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Retaliation for our keeping Farley Mowat out?

You learn something new every day in the bilge, I had no idea Farley Mowat had been put on a US watch list.

Garret
10-12-2012, 08:23 PM
You learn something new every day in the bilge, I had no idea Farley Mowat had been put on a US watch list.

All that time hanging out with wolves made him a subversive. Well - the US defined him as being a member of a radical group & wouldn't tell him what the group was - hence my supposition it was hangin' with wolves.

B_B
10-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Mowat's quite vocal support for Greenpeace, IIRC.

Ian McColgin
10-13-2012, 05:44 AM
He also shot off his shotgun in symbolic opposition to some US SAC overflights.

Anyway, the notion that this could be true, not just a Terry Jones publicity stunt, is that the cross-check for what are rather rather obscure crimes seems like something that only a government would do.

Peerie Maa
10-13-2012, 06:24 AM
He also shot off his shotgun in symbolic opposition to some US SAC overflights.

Anyway, the notion that this could be true, not just a Terry Jones publicity stunt, is that the cross-check for what are rather rather obscure crimes seems like something that only a government would do.

Well, I suppose that you cant just tell your neighbour that one of his citizens is unwelcome just because he is an arse. Think of the outcry.

In barring Jones, border officials cited a fine he got in Germany in 1993 for using the title “doctor” there (as a recipient of an honorary doctorate in theology), as well as a criminal charge of breaching the peace at a planned rally in Detroit last year. Ingram said Jones got both decisions overturned on appeal. However, unconvinced border officials demanded proof.
“You are required to provide a criminal records check before returning to Canada,” said a notice issued to Jones at the border, obtained by the Star. “Failure to provide this criminal history record, while attempting to enter Canada, may result in your arrest.”

from http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1269594--controversial-american-pastor-terry-jones-denied-entry-into-canada
which includes

About 50 people showed up at the Freedom Showdown event in Toronto Thursday, most apparently sharing dissenting views from Rev. Terry Jones, the missing speaker famous for threatening to burn the Qur’an.

The dissidents said they were as disappointed as Jones, the pastor from Florida who was turned back at the Canada-U.S. border earlier Thursday, because they would have liked to engage in dialogue with him and understand what leads someone to adopt such hateful views against Islam.

I wonder which postal University the Pastor bought his Honorary Doctorate from? :D