PDA

View Full Version : Nation's Economists Quietly Evacuating Their Families

pcford
10-10-2012, 07:48 PM
NEW YORK—As employment stagnates, manufacturing continues its slump, and overall confidence in the U.S. financial system wavers, the nation's economists have begun abandoning their homes and sending their loved ones overseas. "We've noticed a trend among the leading economic thinkers, be they Keynsians, supply-siders, or students of the Austrian school—they're putting their families on one-way flights out of the country, often leaving half-finished survival bunkers behind them," Paul Klement, an analyst with the Brookings Institute, told reporters Tuesday. "The flights aren't on domestic carriers, either. I think they saw something in that last transportation industry report that really spooked them." At press time, none of the nation's economists could be reached for comment.http://www.theonion.com/static/onion/img/icons/terminator.gif the onion.

Jim Bow
10-10-2012, 10:05 PM
That'll make front page at the Tehran Daily Bugle.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/28/world/iran-news-agency-duped/index.html

wardd
10-10-2012, 10:13 PM
i hear samalia

John of Phoenix
10-10-2012, 10:41 PM
The West Virgina senate has declared fatwa on the Onion.

David G
10-10-2012, 11:23 PM
pcford is no damn good!
Dont tell him I said so, okay?

He's always been No Damned Good (obstreperous Irish troublemaker!). You're just figuring this out? <G>

pcford
10-11-2012, 12:11 AM
He's always been No Damned Good (obstreperous Irish troublemaker!). You're just figuring this out? <G>

excuse me. no irish here. thank you...

David G
10-11-2012, 12:18 AM
excuse me. no irish here. thank you...

Yes... you keep SAYING that...

purri
10-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Actually Ford's principles of manufacturing were founded on those of Taylorism, hardy a Feinian name.

Peerie Maa
10-11-2012, 06:06 AM
He may have used Taylorism, but it was driven by the need to utilise a cheap unskilled immigrant workforce with no long term loyalty to the employer.

David G
10-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Being only a half-assed economist... I've decided to evacuate only half my family. We drew straws. Those with the short straw had to stay here with me. The rest get to migrate to Canuckistan.

purri
10-12-2012, 05:21 AM
No doubt, however my comment was directed toward the "drones" that the process produced and the attendant long term consequences for long term productivity and personal innovation in work practices.
He may have used Taylorism, but it was driven by the need to utilise a cheap unskilled immigrant workforce with no long term loyalty to the employer.

Peerie Maa
10-12-2012, 07:25 AM
No doubt, however my comment was directed toward the "drones" that the process produced and the attendant long term consequences for long term productivity and personal innovation in work practices.

I don't disagree. The full story was as follows.
The immigrants were middle European farmers who had no mechanical skills, and were only interested in working in the Eastern Seaboard factories until they had saved enough to move west and buy land.
In order to utilise this labour resource the work was broken down into small easily learned operations and organised in a production line. This accommodated the unskilled, and allowed for quick turnover of the work force.
Everybody was happy.
But. Factories in different economies with a stable skilled worker force thought "This new production line method looks good. We should do that" without understanding why it worked. Hence the disaster of British car plant production line factories with bored militant workers - an industrial disaster.