PDA

View Full Version : LOOKING FOR HELP

captrich
02-28-2001, 04:13 PM
I have a 1961 32' Dickerson Ketch, mahogany over white oak, that I've been trying to restore since '94. I have the bottom 3/4 replanked. I am looking for an experienced wooden boat repair person to work on it at my home in SE Pa. It needs the bottom planking finished, some deck replacement and cabin work. I have gutted the interior and removed the engine, so access to all areas of the boat is excellent. I'll put the interior in after she is afloat, but I just don't have the time to get her to that point. Anyone interested must have good work ethics and practices, proper experience, and references. I have a pretty complete wood workshop with most power & hand tools needed. I anticipate that this could keep the right person busy for 4-6 weeks. Space for a camper next to boat. I would be working alongside when business priorities allow.

[This message has been edited by captrich (edited 03-01-2001).]

Bill Dodson
03-01-2001, 08:48 PM
Those Dickersons were neat boats... I did some of the best parts of my growing up on a Dickerson 35 sailing the Chesapeake. I'm curious who you got the boat from and what her sail number is... at one time my family knew most of the Dickersons on the bay and their owners. Good luck with your restoration http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Bill

captrich
03-02-2001, 10:45 AM
Hi Bill,
My dickerson was purchased in '94 from Dayme & Marylin Poore. She
goes by the name of Church Mouse but was originally named Check Mate
when new. She resided at Green Point Marina on Whorton Creek and was
used as the committee boat for the Whorton Creek Regatta for many years.
Her sail number is 17. Unfortunately, when I got her, she had been out
of the water for over a year and was really dried out. There is quite a
bit of rot around the corners of the cabin. My dream, when she is done,
is to do champagne dinner cruises on her. I would be interested to know
if you are familiar with her. Rich

jack grebe
03-04-2001, 02:53 PM
cap, i dont have much boat carpentry exp.(ok any) but i do have 20yrs carpentry. also live in SE PA.email me. i'd love to see it

ken mcclure
03-07-2001, 08:27 AM
Got any back issues of WoodenBoat mag? Look in the classifieds under SERVICES. There's usually at least one builder who will travel. For example, from Jan/Feb 1996--

HAVE TOOLS WILL TRAVEL - Wooden boat builder will build, rebuild or repair your project on site or in my shop.....413-586-2007.

This guy was from MA. I know I've seen those ads a number of times.

Check references.

POST PICTURES!!!!!

Good luck!

captrich
03-07-2001, 11:56 AM
Yes, I have years of back issues, however, I haven't subscribed for a couple of years. I just renewed my subscription and am awaiting my next issue to look for a boat rebuilder. I wanted a more currant issue to draw from. I remember seeing that add years ago but didn't have the time to go through my back issues. I thank you for the phone # though and I will call and see if he is still doing traveling boat repairs. Thanks again, Rich