PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the origin of the term, "Don't bet on the fifth race"?

Phillip Allen
10-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm looking up Madam Blavatsky at the moment?

The Bigfella
10-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Phillip

The idea of going to college is for you to learn how to learn.... not for us to do your work for you.

Phillip Allen
10-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Phillip

The idea of going to college is for you to learn how to learn.... not for us to do your work for you.

this is a forum set up to listen to people's questions, not ridicule the persons asking them

you may want to do a corn cob audit in your privy... some are unaccounted for and I have a suspicion as to where they went

Ian McColgin
10-08-2012, 08:17 PM
It's been forty years since I studied her stuff, but I recall something about the races of humanity, that contemporary folk are the fifth, and that we are to be supplanted. I also think it a profound mistake to take any of her remarks as meaningful scientific categories. They do make for interesting spiritual metaphore.

Tom Montgomery
10-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helena_Blavatsky)

I am curious, Phillip. Why are you interested in Madam Blavatsky rather than George Ivanovich Gurdjieff?

Phillip Allen
10-08-2012, 08:21 PM
It's been forty years since I studied her stuff, but I recall something about the races of humanity, that contemporary folk are the fifth, and that we are to be supplanted. I also think it a profound mistake to take any of her remarks as meaningful scientific categories. They do make for interesting spiritual metaphore.

I understand... we would see her as a nut... the fith race according to what I saw today was the Ayran race... a good bit of advice would be to not bet on the fifth race :) I just wanted to see if anyone knew about it... it's new to me

Mrleft8
10-08-2012, 08:29 PM
There is no 5th race at Aqueduct Park...... If you bet on the 5th race, you got swindled.

Phillip Allen
10-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helena_Blavatsky)

I am curious, Phillip. Why are you interested in Madam Blavatsky rather than George Ivanovich Gurdjieff?

probably because I sorta remembered her name... that's it

Tom Montgomery
10-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Oh.

I sorta remember William Butler Yeats and The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.

Ian McColgin
10-08-2012, 08:35 PM
There is a certain tenuous connection between the Russian empire mystics but Mdm Blavatsky spent more time in the US and was a generation before Gurdjieff or Ouspensky (or the somewhat different and distinctly English Crowley). There are still Theosophists around, and Ouspendky lives in in a sense in the Waldorf School movement but perhaps Gurdjieff sold too many painted canaries to people who did not get the point . . .

Tom Montgomery
10-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I attended a very strange ceremony in a private home in Lakewood, Ohio about 20 years ago. At the invitation of a woman I dated a couple of times.

Everyone present seemed very earnest... but I must confess that to this day I don't really understand what they were on about.

A lot of candles, incense, and chanting of invocations that made little sense to me.

Phillip should seek out such people if he is really interested in learning about such stuff. They are around. He is studying journalism. He could rationalize it as research.

As for me... I was just trying to get lucky. But it quickly turned too weird for my tastes.

Phillip Allen
10-08-2012, 08:46 PM
I attended a very strange ceremony in a private home in Lakewood, Ohio about 20 years ago. At the invitation of a woman I dated a couple of times.

Everyone present seemed very earnest... but I must confess that to this day I don't really understand what they were on about.

A lot of candles, incense, and chanting of invocations that made little sense to me.

Phillip should seek out such people if he is really interested in learning about such stuff. They are around. He is studying journalism. He could rationalize it as research.

As for me... I was just trying to get lucky. But it quickly turned too weird for my tastes.

I think I had one of those experiences... not again if I can help it

the only reason I posted to begin with was the Aryans being the 'fifth race' and remember the horse racing joke about not betting on the fifth race... funny

David W Pratt
10-09-2012, 08:00 AM
I thought Equipoise was a lock in the fifth

skuthorp
10-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Well strike me pink! This is about the last place I thought I'd find a reference to Theosophy and Madame Blatavsky, and from Phillip too! In the 20's I think there was a lot of excitement about a feller called Krishnamurti and the second coming (being him) in Aus until he defused the whole affair by saying "Not me folks, not me". My grandma was vaguely interested in theosophy and knew a rather remarkable feller called Farquarson who I remember also.

Phillip Allen
10-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Well strike me pink! This is about the last place I thought I'd find a reference to Theosophy and Madame Blatavsky, and from Phillip too! In the 20's I think there was a lot of excitement about a feller called Krishnamurti and the second coming (being him) in Aus until he defused the whole affair by saying "Not me folks, not me". My grandma was vaguely interested in theosophy and knew a rather remarkable feller called Farquarson who I remember also.

the bilge is truly a strange place :)

Glen Longino
10-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Did you read about J Krishnamurti, Phillip?
Much more interesting than M Blavatsky, IMO.