PDA

View Full Version : I need an interpreter for Romneyspeak

John Smith
10-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Today he gave a speech in which he said he'd put Iran "on notice". Anyone know exactly what that means? Does he have an "on notice" board like Colber has.

Isn't Iran already on notice that the rest of world does not want them to get a nuclear weapon?

B:?

Paul Pless
10-08-2012, 06:38 PM
fart

Nicholas Scheuer
10-08-2012, 06:38 PM
"On Notice" is the sort of phrase that appeals to wusses. They know what he means.

John Smith
10-08-2012, 06:54 PM
I heard two of my coworkers reciting it in the break room just a few minutes ago.

They don't know what it means either, but they're 110% on board!

Well, now one of them just wants to nuke Iran, so I guess things are moving forward.

This brings back memories of how angry (REALLY ANGRY) Republicans got when I asked them to explain precisely what a "family value" is and how it relates to the number of parents in a household. They were all in favor of family values, but not a one of them could tell me what this phrase meant in the context of a single mother home.

hanleyclifford
10-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Remember what happened when Reagan put the Iranians "on notice" just before he was elected?

Mrleft8
10-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Remember what happened when Reagan put the Iranians "on notice" just before he was elected?

No. What?

If I was the type of guy to just sort of guess what "on notice" means when Romney said it could be loosely translated as "Oh, BOY! You better watch it buster! Or..... Or..... Well, I don't know what I'd do! But, it'd be really, really bad! I'm so mad I could spit!!!!.... Almost......."....
Something like that.... Try it using a "Radar O'Reilly" voice.....

BrianW
10-08-2012, 08:41 PM
"No options off the table means I'm considering all options."

Sheesh!

Tom Montgomery
10-08-2012, 08:51 PM
It means that Mitt has given Bibi a green light to attack Iran with the promise that he'll be subsequently supported by the military might of the U.S.A. Regardless of the positions of the rest of our NATO allies.

IF Mitt is elected, of course.
m

Paul Pless
10-08-2012, 09:11 PM
The only difference is Romney's willingness to use it as a campaign issue.As compared to Obama using Iran as a campaign issue in 2008?

Tom Montgomery
10-08-2012, 09:17 PM
I think what it really means is that (if elected), Mitt intends to continue longstanding US policy of using sanctions and international pressure to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon.
I hope that you are right and that I am wrong.

BrianW
10-08-2012, 09:18 PM
The only difference is Romney's willingness to use it as a campaign issue.

Liberals bashed him when he didn't address Afghanistan at the convention. Now they bash him for bringing up Iran.

They just don't know what to hate, or when, so they hate all the time.

Paul Pless
10-08-2012, 09:20 PM
:D ...

Tom Montgomery
10-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Bibi and Mitt are buddies.

I hope ljb5 is correct. I suspect he is not.

A significant proportion of the GOP electorate is longing for the Apocalypse and the subsequent Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

Glen Longino
10-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Liberals bashed him when he didn't address Afghanistan at the convention. Now they bash him for bringing up Iran.

Why must you Troglodytes continually use the "hate" word and blame us liberals for it?
I don't hate Romney, I simply won't vote for him!
See the difference?

Kevin T
10-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Failure to acknowledge a conflict that we are currently in is kind of inexcusable, especially from the party that is always talking about being the only one's supporting the troops.

Threatening to light up the middle east and stretch manpower and treasure past the breaking point is both scary and dumb. Has nothing to do with hate, but I suspect you knew that already. :-)

hanleyclifford
10-08-2012, 09:49 PM
It means that Mitt has given Bibi a green light to attack Iran with the promise that he'll be subsequently supported by the military might of the U.S.A. Regardless of the positions of the rest of our NATO allies.

IF Mitt is elected, of course.
m The unpostable now preceded by the "if" word.

BrianW
10-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Why must you Troglodytes continually use the "hate" word and blame us liberals for it?

It's kinda like liberals always using the 'lie/lying/liar" word. I hate that. :)

Tom Montgomery
10-08-2012, 09:56 PM
The unpostable now preceded by the "if" word.

Do you honestly think Obama would allow Netanyahu to unilaterally start a war prior to approval by NATO?

I don't think so.

But I do think Romney has communicated to his buddy Bibi that, if he is elected, any Israeli attack will be backed by the U.S. regardless of the positions of the other NATO allies.

No doubt many Americans would applaud the resulting war.

hanleyclifford
10-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Do you honestly think Obama would allow Netanyahu to unilaterally start a war prior to approval by NATO?

I don't think so.

But I do think Romney has communicated to his buddy Bibi that, if he is elected, any Israeli attack will be backed by the U.S. regardless of the positions of the other NATO allies.

No doubt many Americans would applaud the resulting war. Romney may understand the only way to stop the Iranians.

Glen Longino
10-08-2012, 10:01 PM
It's kinda like liberals always using the 'lie/lying/liar" word. I hate that. :)

Everybody hates a liar!
BTW, have I told you lately how much I don't hate you?:D

Gerarddm
10-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Uh, the grunts wouldn't applaud another war. But neocons love 'em. To death.

Foreign policy requires nuance, not a characteristic of the Romney campaign. Nor of regressives in general.

Kevin T
10-09-2012, 07:32 AM

I don't think so.

No doubt many Americans would applaud the resulting war.

Agreed and agreed, although I wonder how many of those same Americans will applaud the resultant $9 or $10 a gallon gasoline?

BA.Barcolounger
10-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Romney wants the US to get involved in yet another military boondoggle in the middle east.

That's a "no" vote for me.

hanleyclifford
10-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Romney wants the US to get involved in yet another military boondoggle in the middle east.

That's a "no" vote for me. Let's hope he ends Obama's Ugandan adventure first.

TDSoren
10-09-2012, 11:43 AM

Remember that guns for drugs deal that went down?

TDSoren
10-09-2012, 11:44 AM

That's a "no" vote for me.

Especially since the sanctions that Obama got the rest of the civilized world to sign off on have the Rial crashing and the Iranians pissed at their government.

TDSoren
10-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Uh, the grunts wouldn't applaud another war. But neocons love 'em. To death.

Foreign policy requires nuance, not a characteristic of the Romney campaign. Nor of regressives in general.

Gotta keep that Military-Industrial complex Ike warned us about fed ya know.

BA.Barcolounger
10-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Let's hope he ends Obama's Ugandan adventure first.

Tell me again how many US soldiers have died there?

TDSoren
10-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Failure to acknowledge a conflict that we are currently in is kind of inexcusable, especially from the party that is always talking about being the only one's supporting the troops.

Threatening to light up the middle east and stretch manpower and treasure past the breaking point is both scary and dumb. Has nothing to do with hate, but I suspect you knew that already. :-)

Well, Mitt IS claiming he's got an economic plan to provide 7 million new jobs in his first year.

Now we know how.

TDSoren
10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Bibi and Mitt are buddies.

I hope ljb5 is correct. I suspect he is not.

A significant proportion of the GOP electorate is longing for the Apocalypse and the subsequent Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

James Watt, secretary of the interior during the Reagan years stated "We don't need to conserve, the Rapture is close at hand" paraphrasing a bit probably, but the gist is there. It shows why I really prefer not to have religious zealots running my country.

mdh
10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't hate Romney, I simply won't vote for him!
See the difference?

I don't hate Obama, but I'd vote for a pair of socks first.

TDSoren
10-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Too bad the alternative choice is Mittens :-)

wardd
10-09-2012, 01:06 PM

magic socks?

hanleyclifford
10-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Tell me again how many US soldiers have died there? That's classified.

mdh
10-09-2012, 02:59 PM
magic socks?

Yours.

wardd
10-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Yours.

dirty socks?

i can't afford underpaid house staff

mdh
10-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Probably the pair that don't match.

John Smith
10-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Today he gave a speech in which he said he'd put Iran "on notice". Anyone know exactly what that means? Does he have an "on notice" board like Colber has.

Isn't Iran already on notice that the rest of world does not want them to get a nuclear weapon?

B:?

I had to post this: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/419976/october-09-2012/mitt-promises-to-put-iran-s-leaders--on-notice--for-their-nuclear-pursuits-

Chris Coose
10-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Anyone know exactly what that means?

Yep!
It is "dubbya" for another unfunded war, causing more tax breaks.

next you will hear:
"All options are on the table."
A reference to, "Mushroom clouds"
"War is the last option"