PDA

View Full Version : Fly Montserrat tragic crash

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2012, 06:02 AM
VP-MON crashed just aftar take-off yesterday afternoon at Antigua airport. The pilot and two of the three passengers were killed. The other passenger is in hospital.

I arrived in Antigua at 2 (LIAT was early) and was going to travel on the flight but decided to stay with friends. I with a friend (connected with the Airport admin) at Cloggy's near Nelson's Dockyard when we heard the tragic news.

Currently, I am in the departure lounge awaiting Flight FM 103 due to depart in 90 minutes.

I am feeling quite apprehensive.

http://cdn.bajanreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Flymni-crash-ANU-Obsrv-300x200.jpg

Que sera sera.

Ian McColgin
10-08-2012, 06:11 AM
Growing up a pilot's kid, I could never hear of a plane going down without apprehension. At the same time, I had tremendous confidence in the safety of air travel in general. But realisticly, there are huge variables from carrier to carrier and among air ports. And even in the aggregate, air travel is touted as safest per passenger mile (and that may even be true) but it's also about the most hazardous per passenger hour. You could study the numbers - especially anything you can get on maintenance - but honestly, I just commend my soul to God.

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Coincidence?

Quote:

Montserrat in the market for air and sea transportation providers
By OBSERVER Media - Sunday, October 7th, 2012.
Article Hits: 22
No Comments
ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Montserrat is putting out feelers for private investment to improve air and sea links with Antigua & Barbuda.
The two territories have long been partners in this area but volcanic eruption 17 years ago has led to severely limited access to Montserrat.
Now the government there says its tourism industry is hurting.
It also says that it has completed a series of studies and is now looking for companies to operate air and sea links between Montserrat and Antigua, along with other regional destinations.
The aircraft required is a Twin-Otter or similar vessel.
The ferry, though, should be new and designed specifically for Montserrat’s conditions.
The deadline to submit proposals is October 19, 2012.

http://www.antiguaobserver.com/monts...tion-providers (http://www.antiguaobserver.com/montserrat-in-the-market-for-air-and-sea-transportation-providers)

Mrleft8
10-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Antigua has that really short, runway, with the hump in the middle, I think..... If that's the one, I have felt very uneasy every time we/I've had to land/take off there.....
But it's tragic no matter where it is....

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Antigua has that really short, runway, with the hump in the middle, I think..... If that's the one, I have felt very uneasy every time we/I've had to land/take off there.....
But it's tragic no matter where it is....

The runway is 9,000 feet long.

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Three of us got on the plane at 8:30am.

Then a couple minutes later a lady from Fly Montserrat advised that we would have to get out and transfer to the second plane. Our baggage would follow on a later flight.
The reason was that the pilot that was scheduled to fly us was the one that was supposed to fly the flight that crashed yesterday, but had swapped with a friend, i.e. the pilot that died and he was feeling so terrible that he could not (just then) bring himself to get into the plane.

It was unnerving to take off and see the wreckage of the other aircraft VP-MON

Made it safely and finally got baggage.

I did observe that the pilot appeared to take extra precautions(?) e.g. line of turn after take-off, line of approach, using flaps etc. :cool: