PDA

View Full Version : DRONE Technology

Syed
10-07-2012, 01:12 AM
I fear this technology will spread sooner than later and it will suit more to the groups and individuals targeting populated residential areas while staying away and safe in hideouts.

The great and powerful minds have the habit of ignoring the obvious and canít see further than the end of nose.

seanz
10-07-2012, 03:18 AM
How true.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/middle-east/7780942/Israel-says-drone-shot-down

The Israeli air force shot down a drone after it crossed into southern Israel, the military says, but it remains unclear where the aircraft had come from.

The drone was first spotted above the Mediterranean in the area of the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip to the west of Israel, said military spokeswoman Avital Leibovich.
It was kept under surveillance and followed by Israeli air force jets before it was shot down above a forest in an unpopulated area near the border with the occupied West Bank.
Leibovich said it was shot down at about 10am (local time), after it travelled east some 55 kilometres across Israel's southern Negev desert.
Defence Minister Ehud Barak praised the interception as "sharp and effective".
"We view with great severity the attempt to compromise Israeli air space and will consider our response in due course," Barak said in a statement.
Soldiers, assisted by helicopters, were searching the area for the remains of the drone, which security sources said most likely did not originate from the Gaza Strip.
Israel's Army Radio reported the drone was not carrying any explosives.
Israeli parliament member Miri Regev, a former chief spokesman of the military, wrote on Twitter it was an "Iranian drone launched by Hezbollah", referring to the Lebanese Shi'ite group that fought a war with Israel in 2006.
Defence officials would not confirm Hezbollah's connection to the drone.
On at least one occasion, Iranian-backed Hezbollah has launched a drone into Israel. And in 2010, an Israeli warplane shot down an apparently unmanned balloon in the Negev near the country's Dimona nuclear reactor.
The Israeli military released a 10-second video clip of what it said was Saturday's mid-air interception. In the video, a small, unidentified aircraft is seen moments before being destroyed by a missile fired from a fighter jet.

I glanced at this thread topic, checked another 'tab' for a news story and this was the first International story that caught my eye.

Just wait till the 'bad guys' work out that a pulse jet will speed up the drone and cut down the intercept time. Part drone, part cruise missile. Oh 'joy'......

PeterSibley
10-07-2012, 03:31 AM
I fear this technology will spread sooner than later and it will suit more to the groups and individuals targeting populated residential areas while staying away and safe in hideouts.

The great and powerful minds have the habit of ignoring the obvious and can’t see further than the end of nose.

I suspect you are absolutely spot on Syed, a friend and I were "war gaming" the technology the other day, it's very dangerous for all.

Syed
10-07-2012, 05:44 AM
For Peter,

The technological capabilities of drones can be seductive, but as the Australian Defence Department considers acquiring $3 billion of US drone technology, it should stop and consider the US experience: drones are not infallible and they have a human cost.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/lure-of-drone-technology-must-not-blind-defence-to-its-faults-20121001-26uqv.html#ixzz28bo7M328

skuthorp
10-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Huh. Syed, estate agents are using them here to spy out potential property to sell, and the laws are rather rudimentary at present and probably not enforceable anyhow because none of the agencies have the technology to tell whether thy are in use or not.
Police, government at all levels and business have their eyes on the technology but the lawmakers, being so far up themselves they can't see, have no opinions whatsoever. I could go out and buy a kit tomorrow, or a less complicated model at a toy store. The genie is well out of the bottle, precedent has been set and what will follow is just natural progression. It didn't take a genius to see that right at the start, but short term thinking is a feature of politicians in particular and the military don't anyhow.

PeterSibley
10-07-2012, 06:04 AM
They DO have very useful civilian capabilities, a friend is training to pilot one for powerline inspection , the training is to full CASA level !! which seems amazing. I'm not sure how they are going to police the civil ones let alone who has military capability, as Jeff says the the genie is well out of the bottle.

seanz
10-07-2012, 06:05 AM
estate agents are using them here to spy out potential property to sell,

I think that's the big concern, that people with no moral compass whatsoever will acquire this technology...........

Bother, now I'm making jokes again, off to bed.

Peerie Maa
10-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Hobbyists have been flying radio controlled models built in their garages for over 40 years.
Radio control now allows you to do this:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-plane-crash with a 727. Terrorists will now be well able to build a drone, with a warhead payload, and hit pretty well anywhere.

PeterSibley
10-07-2012, 06:09 AM
For Peter,

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/lure-of-drone-technology-must-not-blind-defence-to-its-faults-20121001-26uqv.html#ixzz28bo7M328

The article talks about "counter terrorism", I think the drones are terrorism .

PeterSibley
10-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Hobbyists have been flying radio controlled models built in their garages for over 40 years.
Radio control now allows you to do this:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-plane-crash with a 727. Terrorists will now be well able to build a drone, with a warhead payload, and hit pretty well anywhere.

ssshhh don't tell anyone . The GPS guidance and some kind of prepositioned beacon they could be a very cheap horror story .

Peerie Maa
10-07-2012, 06:15 AM
The article talks about "counter terrorism", I think the drones are terrorism .

No more so than a cruise missile. However as they are cheaper, there is a temptation to abuse the technology as is now happening.

skuthorp
10-07-2012, 06:20 AM
A temptation? I think that's long gone past.
Ha, we all may have to buy our own to shoot others down with!

PeterSibley
10-07-2012, 06:26 AM
No more so than a cruise missile. However as they are cheaper, there is a temptation to abuse the technology as is now happening.

The difference is that these things can wait around, select who to kill, kill, then come back next day. A cruise missile is a huge unhandy and grossly expensive single use weapon, not the kind of thing to use to blow up individuals or wedding parties .

PeterSibley
10-07-2012, 06:26 AM
A temptation? I think that's long gone past.
Ha, we all may have to buy our own to shoot others down with!

Prescient.

skuthorp
10-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Of course the technology will progress, it will be a simpler cheaper process, you'll be able to drive one with a free app from the net.
Not a pleasant prospect actually.
Of course there will be many good uses, bushfire observation for instance where you cannot send manned aircraft and coastal surveillance. (But a drone won't stop the boats either).

PeterSibley
10-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Of course the technology will progress, it will be a simpler cheaper process, you'll be able to drive one with a free app from the net.
Not a pleasant prospect actually.
Of course there will be many good uses, bushfire observation for instance where you cannot send manned aircraft and coastal surveillance. (But a drone won't stop the boats either).

Now there's a chilling thought.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-07-2012, 07:21 AM
I think that's the big concern, that people with no moral compass whatsoever will acquire this technology...........

Bother, now I'm making jokes again, off to bed.

They were created by people without a moral compass and are currently being used who would deny that any such thing might exist.

See Waziristan, Yemen et al.

Syed
10-07-2012, 07:31 AM
They were created by people without a moral compass and are currently being used who would deny that any such thing might exist.

Quite right!

Otherwise they would have thought thousands times before implementing such a plan.

Tom Hunter
10-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Syed

I'm sure you are right. Sadly the first Americans to suffer from drone attacks are unlikely to be the same Americans who love to launch them on everyone else.

Peerie Maa
10-07-2012, 08:54 AM
The difference is that these things can wait around, select who to kill, kill, then come back next day. A cruise missile is a huge unhandy and grossly expensive single use weapon, not the kind of thing to use to blow up individuals or wedding parties .

You miss my point.

The issue is not what weapon that you use, but the decision on what to attack with it.
Put a load of fertiliser and some tractor fuel in the hands of a farmer and no one has any problems. Put them in the hands of someone who wants to murder for political ends and we all have problems.

The same with drones, put them in a real war environment where they have the benefit of keeping the "good troops" out of harms way: commendable. You would have applauded them if they were available in WWII. The problem is the decision to use them to attack targets inside the borders of nations with whom you are not at war. Yet.

MiddleAgesMan
10-07-2012, 09:53 AM
And now we're starting to move ahead with autos that don't require a driver. The terrorists will love those! :(

Syed
10-07-2012, 10:06 AM
And now we're starting to move ahead with autos that don't require a driver. The terrorists will love those! :(

They would love it if you demonstrate the fatality for humankind.

Waddie
10-07-2012, 10:14 AM
It hasn't been lost on the "terrorists" how effective drone strikes can be. And how much cheaper than paying a huge sum of money to the suicide bombers family, as is customary. They will all want one, or two, or three,......... And we already made their widespread use "acceptable".

regards,
Waddie

MiddleAgesMan
10-07-2012, 10:52 AM
They would love it if you demonstrate the fatality for humankind.

I'm not sure I understand you, Syed, but rest assured I also deplore what is going on with the drones.

Cuyahoga Chuck
10-07-2012, 10:58 AM
There are many, many different types of drones most of which have no military intent. And some of those used by the military are only for survielling the enemy and carry no weaponry.
To successfully attack a highly populated area requires a large number of bombs/missiles which would require numerous drones/airplanes of very large size. This is not something that insurgent groups would be able to carry out. And if you are suggesting the US is developing that capability you are right. But they have no reason to want to use them. The US already has too many third world nations around it's neck and is try to get away from them.
So, your worries seem misplaced. While your country is flexing it's muscles on the Indian border, your own citizens from the tribal ares are carving the country apart. And why would the triblists bother with drones when they have a large supply of suicide bombers who are almost unstoppable and can be much more accurate than any electronically guided missile.

Syed
10-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure I understand you, Syed, but rest assured I also deplore what is going on with the drones.

MiddleAgesMan, You may compare a driver-less car with an autopilot plane but comparison with killer drones seems to be far out.

Syed
10-07-2012, 11:35 AM
There are many, many different types of drones most of which have no military intent. And some of those used by the military are only for survielling the enemy and carry no weaponry.
To successfully attack a highly populated area requires a large number of bombs/missiles which would require numerous drones/airplanes of very large size. This is not something that insurgent groups would be able to carry out. And if you are suggesting the US is developing that capability you are right. But they have no reason to want to use them. The US already has too many third world nations around it's neck and is try to get away from them.
So, your worries seem misplaced. While your country is flexing it's muscles on the Indian border, your own citizens from the tribal ares are carving the country apart. And why would the triblists bother with drones when they have a large supply of suicide bombers who are almost unstoppable and can be much more accurate than any electronically guided missile.

You sir, always leave me speechless.

MiddleAgesMan
10-07-2012, 11:36 AM
The driverless cars are pretty new. I'm just projecting forward to the day when they, too, can be used to kill with no risk to the operators.

Syed
10-07-2012, 11:45 AM
The driverless cars are pretty new. I'm just projecting forward to the day when they, too, can be used to kill with no risk to the operators.

Yes, there had been attacks by explosive loaded vehicles striking the buildings. In that manner you are right.

Cuyahoga Chuck
10-07-2012, 12:06 PM
You sir, always leave me speechless.

I can't read your mind so I did the best I could with the small amount you offered.

Syed
10-07-2012, 12:51 PM
I can't read your mind so I did the best I could with the small amount you offered.

Actually you seem to be ignorant about the cause of present situation in Pakistan.

Your knowledge about other affairs in Pakistan does not impress me either.

Anyway, thank you for your response.

seanz
10-07-2012, 04:09 PM

Careful, you'll upset the aeronautical engineers.........;)

Here's some recent (non-military) drone developments.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/7780982/Drone-finds-dummy-bushwalker-in-world-first.

Stiletto
10-07-2012, 05:50 PM

I hear they can also seek out those with their heads in the sand.

seanz
10-07-2012, 05:55 PM
I hear they can also seek out those with their heads in the sand.

Not a nice image.......

BrianW
10-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Careful, you'll upset the aeronautical engineers.........;)

Here's some recent (non-military) drone developments.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/7780982/Drone-finds-dummy-bushwalker-in-world-first.

Oh...

Drone finds dummy 'bushwalker' in world-first
Strangely enough, Shane posted on Facebook that 'military aircraft' were following him around....

PeterSibley
10-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Oh...

Drone finds dummy 'bushwalker' in world-first

Strangely enough, Shane posted on Facebook that 'military aircraft' were following him around....

I wonder how he got that idea ?:(