PDA

View Full Version : An example of what is wrong in Congress

Gerarddm
10-06-2012, 10:25 AM
http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/05/14203607-video-shows-scientist-in-congress-saying-evolution-is-from-pit-of-hell?lite

Migod, where do Republicans FIND morons like this? And he chairs a House tech committee!

Please, please, please. Follow my recommendation and vote against every Republican you can think of. If the Republicans didn't have a House majority, this idjit would be a minor back bencher.

BETTY-B
10-06-2012, 01:52 PM
I think what he's actually saying is that he really values science. Why are you painting them with such a broad brush?

hanleyclifford
10-06-2012, 02:01 PM
That man is a very poor spokesman for the Bible teaching of creation. His remarks show that he does not understand what the Bible teaches. I suspect his grasp of science is also defective.

Kevin T
10-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I listened to the clip twice, at what point does he say he values science, and I mean no disrespect in that question, I'm just curious.

BETTY-B
10-06-2012, 02:38 PM
I listened to the clip twice, at what point does he say he values science, and I mean no disrespect in that question, I'm just curious.

Right around 00:00:25:00 he talks about all the scientific data he has looked at as a scientist. If he's a scientist, he must value the data. You cant just throw away some data because it doesnt fit your agenda. He says the Earth is a new planet. Right around 9,000 years old. He didnt just come up with that number out of thin air. He's a scientist for crying out loud. Besides, it's clearly right there in the bible.

Kevin T
10-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Right around 00:00:25:00 he talks about all the scientific data he has looked at as a scientist. If he's a scientist, he must value the data. You cant just throw away some data because it doesnt fit your agenda. He says the Earth is a new planet. Right around 9,000 years old. He didnt just come up with that number out of thin air. He's a scientist for crying out loud. Besides, it's clearly right there in the bible.

Okay, :-) I thought you were being facetious I just wasn't sure you sneaky ol bugger. :-)

Peerie Maa
10-06-2012, 02:46 PM
I suspect his grasp of science is also defective.

I suspect that is the biggest understatement that you have made in a long while. ;)

Kevin T
10-06-2012, 02:47 PM
That man is a very poor spokesman for the Bible teaching of creation. His remarks show that he does not understand what the Bible teaches. I suspect his grasp of science is also defective.

He maybe the worst spokesman on the planet, but what is the scary part is when you hear the "shout outs" of agreement with what he is saying.

My guess is he is not speaking in front of a room with a dozen or so people, and it is that bit that scares a lot of us.

BETTY-B
10-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Okay, :-) I thought you were being facetious I just wasn't sure you sneaky ol bugger. :-)

Ya caint reason with 'em and ya caint shoot 'em, so you might as well mock 'em. :- )

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d10/Bridgedeck/misc/brounMoran.jpg

Glen Longino
10-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Yep, kinda dumb, this world is full of religious people, so it fits in with 396-9. However your following blanket statement, condemning all Repubs on the basis of religion, and your tag saying the same, far surpasses that Congressman. In fact, yours is a blind condemnation of one group of people when your party must have been a part of the 396 and our Prez.(your party again ) prays everyday for guidance from a god he had to force feed to his delegates at the DNC. When a person such as yourself is so blind to the realities of their surroundings makes your please. please, please, well.... there is no depth to some.... hilarious ...Rofl. :D:rolleyes:

Translation:
2+2=5 except when it's 6 or sometimes 7 or 396, unless you pray everyday, please, please, make it 4, god, and force feed me some hilarious....Rofl. Grin, Snicker, Scoff, Sneer!

BETTY-B
10-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Trusting science is a lot like choosing a political affiliation. One fact doesnt necessarily prove anything. But voting for a modern day Republican in the face of stacks and stacks of moranic proof is just pure ignorance.

Gerarddm
10-07-2012, 02:22 AM
Peffy never fails to fail. Ya gotta admire the fellow's consistency.

Read my post again. I said ZERO about condemning all Republicans on the basis of religion. I made the point that any vote for a Republican allows miserable creatures like this guy to get committee chairs. If it weren't so pathetic it would be dangerous. Come to think of it, it is both.

skuthorp
10-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Many people, maybe most, prefer the comfort of 'certainty', even if it is a total fiction.

John Smith
10-07-2012, 08:52 AM

This man is a perfect example of how a truly, deeply religious man cannot make decisions based on our constitution or scientific facts.

Garret
10-07-2012, 09:45 AM
This man is a perfect example of how a truly, deeply religious man cannot make decisions based on our constitution or scientific facts.

While I certainly don't qualify as one, I still think I have to disagree. I know a number of deeply religious people who are not blinded by dogma & would be a credit to our nation if in Congress.

I think you may be confusing "deeply religious" with "lunatic fringe".

David W Pratt
10-07-2012, 10:29 AM
#12, scientists don't trust science; they trust the scientific method.
Creationism is fine, but useless for prediction.
That is where the theory of evolution shines.
I get a kick out of the close correlation between states electing Creationist politicians and their strong animal breeding programs. Programs which implicitly rely on the same postulates as Darwinism

LeeG
10-07-2012, 11:54 AM
http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/05/14203607-video-shows-scientist-in-congress-saying-evolution-is-from-pit-of-hell?lite

Migod, where do Republicans FIND morons like this? And he chairs a House tech committee!

Please, please, please. Follow my recommendation and vote against every Republican you can think of. If the Republicans didn't have a House majority, this idjit would be a minor back bencher.

That isn't an example of what's wrong with Congress but a segment of American society that confuses conviction with reason. We simply have too much willful ignorance.

hanleyclifford
10-07-2012, 11:58 AM
The theory of evolution does not shine and is quite useless for predicting anything except argument.

Peerie Maa
10-07-2012, 12:19 PM
The theory of evolution does not shine and is quite useless for predicting anything except argument.

We have covered this in several other threads, with plenty of evidence to show that your opinion is wrong in this instance.
You need to do a bit of reading to plug that gap in your knowledge.

LeeG
10-07-2012, 12:20 PM

And you can't pour it on salad either.

hanleyclifford
10-07-2012, 12:21 PM
We have covered this in several other threads, with plenty of evidence to show that your opinion is wrong in this instance.
You need to do a bit of reading to plug that gap in your knowledge. My opinion of your opinion is the same opinion.

Peerie Maa
10-07-2012, 12:23 PM
My opinion of your opinion is the same opinion.

I'm not interested in starting a pissing contest with you. I have no need to as I have facts upon on my side.

hanleyclifford
10-07-2012, 12:26 PM
And you can't pour it on salad either. Salad evolved from dirt.

LeeG
10-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Salad evolved from dirt.

Speaking of ignorance

hanleyclifford
10-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Speaking of ignorance , it's the Bilge best seller.

botebum
10-07-2012, 12:51 PM
The ignorant can't even agree amongst themselves.
Didn't Sarah tell us the earth was only 6000 years old? This guy says 9000.
As long as the Reps keep voting for lunatics like this, it's not unfair to assume that the majority of Republicans are equally unbalanced.

Doug

Tom Montgomery
10-07-2012, 01:15 PM
And this guy is an M.D.?

Ya gotta love Bible-pounding young earth creationists who are also congress critters.

Somebody remind me... how many of these happen to be Democrats?

Bobby of Tulsa
10-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I would like for just one of those experpts to show me where it sez how old the earth is in the Bible. They just be dreamin.

Peerie Maa
10-07-2012, 01:23 PM

I decided to give you a leg up, 'cos I like you :D
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/25/AR2005092501177.html

AndyG
10-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I never thought that the American Century would end like this.

Andy

Durnik
10-07-2012, 03:40 PM
The ignorant can't even agree amongst themselves.
Didn't Sarah tell us the earth was only 6000 years old? This guy says 9000.
As long as the Reps keep voting for lunatics like this, it's not unfair to assume that the majority of Republicans are equally unbalanced.

Doug

6k, 9k. So he's lesdixic, give the guy a break - he's republican, fundy _and_ everything looks turvy-topsy to him.

Meanwhile - what I _really_ wish is that instead of Freedom _Of_ Religion, the constitution's framers had specified Freedom _From_ Religion.

enjoy
bobby

Glen Longino
10-07-2012, 04:32 PM
IMO it's a mistake to believe that all of these politicians actually believe what they say.
Remember they come from districts around the US where the constituents Do believe the Universe is 6-9 thousand.
If a politician expects to be elected he panders to the ingnorant constituency.
That's how Rand Paul, a scientist/dentist got elected to the Senate by Troglodytes in Kentucky. Rand Paul knows the Universe is Billions of years old, but to get votes, he'll pander to his ignorant hillbilly constituency. get it?

John Smith
10-07-2012, 05:41 PM
He maybe the worst spokesman on the planet, but what is the scary part is when you hear the "shout outs" of agreement with what he is saying.

My guess is he is not speaking in front of a room with a dozen or so people, and it is that bit that scares a lot of us.

I disagree. the scary part is he got elected.

John Smith
10-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Yep, kinda dumb, this world is full of religious people, so it fits in with 396-9. However your following blanket statement, condemning all Repubs on the basis of religion, and your tag saying the same, far surpasses that Congressman. In fact, yours is a blind condemnation of one group of people when your party must have been a part of the 396 and our Prez.(your party again ) prays everyday for guidance from a god he had to force feed to his delegates at the DNC. When a person such as yourself is so blind to the realities of their surroundings makes your please. please, please, well.... there is no depth to some.... hilarious ...Rofl. :D:rolleyes:

I don't think you view this properly. The brand carries the smell (for lack of a better word) of its products. If they sit in congress and have an R before their name, they are part of the Republican Party. They are nominated by republicans in primaries.

If you don't like these particular people, you need to stop enabling them, and their taking over the party.

Remember, Akins sits on the science committee and we all know how scientifically inclined he is.

John Smith
10-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Trusting science is a lot like choosing a political affiliation. One fact doesnt necessarily prove anything. But voting for a modern day Republican in the face of stacks and stacks of moranic proof is just pure ignorance.

Party loyalty is stronger than you think. As I've mentioned, I have friends who are life long Republicans who HATE the direction that party is going in, but feel some sort of guilt if they don't vote for Republicans. Even David Frum voices this. Any vote for a Republican simply enables them to pass more religious based legislation that is contrary to our nation's ideals.

John Smith
10-07-2012, 05:56 PM
While I certainly don't qualify as one, I still think I have to disagree. I know a number of deeply religious people who are not blinded by dogma & would be a credit to our nation if in Congress.

I think you may be confusing "deeply religious" with "lunatic fringe".

As I understand it, a truly religous man must put his God first, by definition. Those we elect to office swear an oath to put our constitution first. It often conflicts with "God's" will, or what they believe to be God's will, and this gives them a conflict of interest.

The God side wins. Look at the new laws passed by Religious Right Wing folks concerning abortion, or look at the arguments against same sex marriage, which are always based on religious beliefs. We are taught that our constitutional principles and those expressed in the Declaration of Independence are that all men are endowed with inalienable rights. We are even told those rights are given by God, although that's BS.

We hold those rights we hold based on the type of government we live under. A man cannot serve two masters. If a man can put our constitution before his God, he is not all that religious, and may make a fine representative. If that man cannot put our constitution before his religious beliefs, he has no business running for office.

John Smith
10-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Science and religion have often disagreed with each other. Near as I can tell, science has always been proven correct.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-07-2012, 06:44 PM
The plans for a new Christian crusade are obviously well under way, led by the USA.

Durnik
10-07-2012, 08:18 PM
IMO it's a mistake to believe that all of these politicians actually believe what they say.
Remember they come from districts around the US where the constituents Do believe the Universe is 6-9 thousand.
If a politician expects to be elected he panders to the ingnorant constituency.
That's how Rand Paul, a scientist/dentist got elected to the Senate by Troglodytes in Kentucky. Rand Paul knows the Universe is Billions of years old, but to get votes, he'll pander to his ignorant hillbilly constituency. get it?

I'll give you Rand Paul.. maybe. I know an otherwise quite intelligent fellow here abouts who is certain the earth is 6k & a bit old.. _Certain_. In addition, I've actually heard Michelle Bachmann speak.. 'nuff said.

For pandering, tho, we do have the extraordinary example of Mr. Willard (Mitt) Romney - who saw clearly what happened to his more honest & sincere fellow, Jon Huntsman. ;-)

enjoy
bobby

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-07-2012, 10:22 PM
I disagree. the scary part is he got elected.

I love the headlines that ask what's wrong with Congress.... The American people are congress. You get the government you deserve, as Winston Churchill said.

hanleyclifford
10-07-2012, 10:24 PM
I love the headlines that ask what's wrong with Congress.... The American people are congress. You get the government you deserve, as Winston Churchill said. When I said that the lefties jumped all over me!

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-07-2012, 10:37 PM
lefties, righties, whatever. The American Republican party represents more of this kind of crap than the democrats. Thinking people around the world find this kind of stuff frightening coming from politicians in a country that not only generates this kind of easter bunny thinking, but also possesses more military power than any other nation on earth.