PDA

View Full Version : Started First Responder training today

hokiefan
10-03-2012, 09:56 PM
A month or so ago, our Emergency Response Team at work asked if anyone was interested in First Responder training. They needed to get a couple of people trained for the night shifts, and wanted to fill out a good class so we could do it onsite. I figured it would cover basic first aid, CPR, stuff like that. Since I've had no training after the Boy Scouts I signed up. Then I learned that it was a 40 hour course, hopefully resulting in us becoming licensed First Responders. 40 hours is a lot to lose out of a busy month, but the company is paying and it does seem like a good idea.

I have no interest, absolutely none, in becoming an EMT. Hopefully I never use any of this training but it does seem smart to have trained people around. Since our plant is a bit out in the sticks, we have set ourselves up as a non-transport Basic Life Support agency in the area EMS system. Two of our employees are EMT's, training supported by the company. We've spent significant $$ outfitting a decent first-aid station, and have First Responders on all shifts.

Today was the first 8 hours. Sent us away with homework, I'll get to that over the weekend. Covered a lot of ground, a lot more to go in the next 4 weeks. Quite interesting, but still no desire to be an EMT and do it on a regular basis. Just want to be prepared, so I don't need it.

Cheers,

Bobby

seanz
10-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Good for you. Things are a lot more complicated these days than the old "call ambulance, apply pressure, keep elevated" days. Defibrillators on site isn't uncommon now. Had a workmate saved by another workmate that knew CPR, so it's worth it.

htom
10-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Good for you. I've stopped keeping up on my training, and dread being put on the spot. I think I'll try and get into such a program again. If every student graduating from high school had First Responder level training, think how many lives and severe injuries they'd save -- and how many fewer stupid car accidents they'd risk, really knowing what might happen!

BrianW
10-04-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm with ya Bobby, I have interest in injured people. They're icky.

But I've also had a ton of first aid training, and it's great stuff to have in your back pocket.

It was recently very helpful in my quickly diagnosing a stroke victim, and getting help immediately. That person is completely recovered now. :)

Jim Bow
10-04-2012, 11:51 AM
You brought to mind the joy of a friend of mine many years ago. He was a VFD EMT in Vader, Washington. He reported, gleefully, that he got to scoop a dislocated eyeball into a dixiecup and tape the cup over the eyesocket.

First responders are nice folks to have around, thanks for being there.