PDA

View Full Version : Canadians and cheese....

Figment
09-26-2012, 01:03 PM
NPR did a thing this morning on the smuggling of american Mozzarella cheese across the border into Canada, where it's sold for 3X cost.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/09/26/161810301/psst-wanna-buy-some-mozzarella-u-s-cheese-being-smuggled-into-canada?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20120926

WTF? Is cheese heavily taxed or something?
Washington could learn from this! At the rate Americans eat cheese this could be the budget solution we're all waiting for!

varadero
09-26-2012, 01:18 PM
But is it real buffalo mozzarella, or that crap your on your pizzas?

Captain Intrepid
09-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Food's a lot cheaper in the US, and it's pretty inferior cheese to what's available here according to one of the pizzeria owners interviewed.

Paul Pless
09-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Did you hear about the recent maple syrup theft in Ontario? Where thieves made off with 10 million pounds of syrup worth over $30 million???

And they did it by siphoning it off and leaving the original barrels in place so that the theft wouldn't be immediately discovered.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/08/31/160401054/thieves-hit-warehouse-holding-30-million-of-canadian-maple-syrup

Figment
09-26-2012, 03:27 PM
To me the most remarkable part of that story was that there exists a Strategic Reserve of millions of litres of maple syrup!

Where did you get the bit about them siphoning and leaving barrels in place? From what I read, it could simply be an inventory goof (they thought they had full barrels but they're empty).

Paul Pless
09-26-2012, 03:30 PM
LOL!

So do you think its possible it was an inside job to boost the price of maple syrup? What else could you do with it, how do you cover up trying to resell that much illegal syrup? That was 15,000 barrels!

Mrleft8
09-26-2012, 03:36 PM
But is it real buffalo mozzarella, or that crap your on your pizzas?
Excuse me?...... Is this coming from an Ex-pat Brit, living in Spain?..... Hello!
Pizza was invented in the USA! (Though some morons in NYC it was invented there, it was really invented here in New Haven, but still the US.)
Brits are known throughout the world as the lowest common denominator when it comes to anything food.... (With the possible exception of Norway, which makes up for it with beautiful women)
Canada could make perfectly good cheese if they wanted to..... They're just too lazy.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Running and hiding.....

wardd
09-26-2012, 03:44 PM
the bees stole it

Captain Intrepid
09-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Pizza was invented in the USA!

Italians might take issue with that. :p

Steve McMahon
09-26-2012, 03:54 PM
I expect it has something to do with the price of milk being much lower in the US. We have a milk marketing board and quota system = fixed pricing (or Price Fixing? depending on who you talk to). We also have much stricter regulations on feed inputs and restriction of hormones for our cows = higher costs.

wardd
09-26-2012, 03:55 PM

hawaian pizza was invented in the usa

Ian McColgin
09-26-2012, 04:34 PM
My brother is now a federal defender in upper Vermont. His first case - the thought it was an initiation joke but it was real - was a guy who was counterfeiting maple syrup. I don't get the cheese but stealing maple syrup or faking it is a huge business.

Captain Intrepid
09-26-2012, 04:45 PM
hawaian pizza was invented in the usa

I wager bbq pizza probably was too.

Mrleft8
09-26-2012, 04:49 PM
I doubt it.
Italians don't take issue with the Chinese laying claim to noodles, or the "new world" introducing them to tomatoes......
Not only that, but they're too busy building incredibly beautiful, very fast cars that spend more time at the mechanic than on the road....

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Running very fast, and hiding very well.....

WX
09-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Excuse me?...... Is this coming from an Ex-pat Brit, living in Spain?..... Hello!
Pizza was invented in the USA! (Though some morons in NYC it was invented there, it was really invented here in New Haven, but still the US.)
Brits are known throughout the world as the lowest common denominator when it comes to anything food.... (With the possible exception of Norway, which makes up for it with beautiful women)
Canada could make perfectly good cheese if they wanted to..... They're just too lazy.

And if McDonalds burgers are anything to go by you can't make a decent burger either.:)

Captain Intrepid
09-26-2012, 05:03 PM
He should probably go to London and have a nice curry and beer. It's nice to see that America is finally waking up to quality beer, Britain never forgot it.

Jim Bow
09-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Sicilians will take issue with the both of you.

Peerie Maa
09-26-2012, 05:43 PM
He should probably go to London and have a nice curry and beer. It's nice to see that America is finally waking up to quality beer, Britain never forgot it.
Nah, Birmingham or Glasgow.

Hwyl
09-26-2012, 06:09 PM
there's not a shred of evidence, the case crumbled.

Lefty have you ever been to Palma, the food is amazing

Captain Intrepid
09-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Nah, Birmingham or Glasgow.

I gracefully defer to you greater knowledge.

Mrleft8
09-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Palma?..... Where in England is Palma?.... (No I haven't been to Palma)
And I've had curry and beer in London.... Nothing to write home about..... Curry in Cumbria was quite good, and the beer was excellent. Had curry and beer in Heybridge basin.... Curry was..... OK... Beer was outstanding! (Company was extraordinary too!)
Had lots of curry in Headington.... Mostly ehn..... No beer that I can recall, but I enjoyed several bottles of cider before an associate of my father's tipped my parents off that cider in England, and cider in the US were very different..... (Bastid! ;))

BrianW
09-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I always thought curry was an Indian specialty.

Captain Intrepid
09-26-2012, 08:43 PM
It is as well.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-26-2012, 08:45 PM
These guys are just up the road.....we're lucky.

http://mapledalecheese.com/

Old Dryfoot
09-26-2012, 08:51 PM
We've got these guys up island, world class award winning cheese.

http://www.naturalpastures.com/

Mrleft8
09-26-2012, 08:51 PM
It is as well.

The best curry (Besides my mothers) I've had was made on Tobago, by a Trinidadian woman named Savita Sohan..... West Indian..... And despite my protestations of utter dismay..... at the thought of it.... It was vegetarian curry, with tofu in it! The one and only time I've ever liked tofu.....

Old Dryfoot
09-26-2012, 08:55 PM
The best curry (Besides my mothers) I've had was made on Tobago, by a Trinidadian woman named Savita Sohan..... West Indian..... And despite my protestations of utter dismay..... at the thought of it.... It was vegetarian curry, with tofu in it! The one and only time I've ever liked tofu.....

Curry is one of those dishes where I don't really care is there is a protein (dead animal) or not. Caribbean curry is also really high on my list of favorite foods.

BrianW
09-26-2012, 08:56 PM
I miss your Tobago stories.

Captain Intrepid
09-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Tofu is actually fantastic. The problem is the way most westerners are exposed to it is as a meat substitute. It's an ingredient all to itself.

Mrleft8
09-26-2012, 09:06 PM
I miss your Tobago stories.

Take up a collection! I'll whip up another! :D

Tom Montgomery
09-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Pizza was invented in the USA!
I suspect the shade of Neapolitan Raffaele Esposito would be shocked to hear that. Esposito invented the Pizza Margharita in 1889. His pizzeria is still in operation under the name of "Pizzeria Brandi."

Nanoose
09-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Food's a lot cheaper in the US. . .

That brush is just a tad too wide . . . try milk at $8/gallon in Hawaii. You think that's cheap? What the heck are you payin' over there for milk? :eek:

Bruce Taylor
09-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Some of you guys need to spend a couple of weeks in the Charlevoix. ;)

Quebec makes some of the best cheeses you'll find outside of France...all sorts stinky, oozy, unpasteurized things. Foul, unsanitary, delicious.

http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/cheeses%20of%20Quebec.jpg

Canoeyawl
09-26-2012, 11:29 PM
(With the possible exception of Norway, which makes up for it with beautiful women)

Don't forget Kipper snacks...

varadero
09-27-2012, 01:33 AM

No offence intended, I was refering to the grated mozzarella plastic cheese scattered over frozen and take away pizzas. The idea of actually smuggling somthing so...... well you know, not tasty eludes me.
Ex-pat, Ex-pat, ouch that was meant to hurt! I lived more years in New England than I have in the Old England. Only ended up here coz the boat I was on went on the market in 93 and I liked the food. Buffalo mozzarella on thin crust pizzas with home made tomato sauce, not as good as the originals from Naples, but that is another story.|:)

TomF
09-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Some of you guys need to spend a couple of weeks in the Charlevoix. ;)

Quebec makes some of the best cheeses you'll find outside of France...all sorts stinky, oozy, unpasteurized things. Foul, unsanitary, delicious. OMG. THIS.

I still salivate just thinking of a particular meeting in Quebec almost 15 years ago, where I had my first introduction to artisanal Quebec cheese.

David W Pratt
09-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Lefty, Norway has multe berries, yummy, fiske pudding, ditto, gravlax, salmon, berries with runny custard, and the best shrimp I have ever had were tiny, caught last night, steamed on the boat, in Oslofjiord. Yes, shrimp for breakfast

Bruce Taylor
09-27-2012, 07:41 AM
OMG. THIS.

I still salivate just thinking of a particular meeting in Quebec almost 15 years ago, where I had my first introduction to artisanal Quebec cheese.

Posting to this thread last night gave me a craving. Fortunately, I found some Montreal bagels and a big hunk of Migneron de Charlevoix in the fridge. :cool:

Meanwhile ;)...Googling "American cheese" brings up this:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/BDSTaylor/Americancheese.jpg

Durnik
09-27-2012, 09:08 AM
LOL!

So do you think its possible it was an inside job to boost the price of maple syrup? What else could you do with it, how do you cover up trying to resell that much illegal syrup? That was 15,000 barrels!

Sell it!? I'm set for life!.. er, I _would_ be set for life.. umm neva mind.. ;-)

enjoy
bobby

Mrleft8
09-27-2012, 09:10 AM
America not only spells cheese "KRAFT", but we also spell mozzarella "Mootz". :D

Ron Williamson
09-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Posting to this thread last night gave me a craving. Fortunately, I found some Montreal bagels and a big hunk of Migneron de Charlevoix in the fridge. :cool:

I'm not big on special cheese,but I really miss Montreal bagels.
R

Bruce Taylor
09-27-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm not big on special cheese,but I really miss Montreal bagels.
R

A couple of places in Ottawa have begun making Montreal-style bagels. They're only about 80 percent as good as the real thing, but that's still ten times better than a New York bagel. :D

Kaa
09-27-2012, 12:29 PM
What kind of an abomination is a Montreal bagel? :-D

Kaa

Bruce Taylor
09-27-2012, 12:35 PM
What kind of an abomination is a Montreal bagel? :-D

Kaa

A real bagel, of course. NY bagels are buns. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal-style_bagel

There are only two approved sources: the St. Viateur bagel shop, and the rue Fairmount bagel factory. The latter:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Fairmount_Bagels_Loaf.jpg/250px-Fairmount_Bagels_Loaf.jpg

ron ll
09-27-2012, 12:42 PM
I remember wondering why cheese tasted so much better in France and finally chalked it up to everything tastes better when on vacation. Then someone told me that all cheese in the U.S. is required by law to be pasteurized, which kind of kind of flies in the face of it's raison d' etre. Not sure that is true however.

Kaa
09-27-2012, 12:47 PM
A real bagel, of course. NY bagels are buns. ;)

Your bagel is a pastry, then :-P

But I should try some next time I'm in Montreal. Or Brooklyn :-)

Kaa

Kaa
09-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Then someone told me that all cheese in the U.S. is required by law to be pasteurized, which kind of kind of flies in the face of it's raison d' etre. Not sure that is true however.

"Since 1949, the US government has forbidden the sale of cheeses made from unpasteurized milk unless the cheese is aged at least 60 days."

So it's not all that bad.

Kaa

Bruce Taylor
09-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Your bagel is a pastry, then :-P

A gnarly, chewy pastry with a specific gravity slightly higher than tungsten. :D

Captain Intrepid
09-27-2012, 03:06 PM
That brush is just a tad too wide . . . try milk at $8/gallon in Hawaii. You think that's cheap? What the heck are you payin' over there for milk? :eek:

Continental United States. :p

Garret
09-27-2012, 05:31 PM
A couple of things: Paul, your #'s have to be off on the syrup. It wholesales for 1.50-2.00 per pound (11 pounds per gal.) - so the $30,000,000 would imply 45,000 barrels. That's still a whole lot of syrup!!!!

Of course Canadian syrup sells for less than VT syrup. It can afford to, as it's heavily subsidized in Quebec.

Much as I love a good NY bagel, Montreal bagels are much more better.

Canada has some amazing cheeses. Every time I go to Montreal, I bring back (I think the border patrol has another term for it) cheese, smoked meat (another Montreal specialty) & pate. All better stuff than than I've found anywhere in the US.

B_B
09-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Meanwhile ;)...Googling "American cheese" brings up this:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/BDSTaylor/Americancheese.jpg

The first time I heard the phrase "American Cheese" was in a diner in Montana - waitress asked if the wife (who'd gone to the washroom and left me to order for her) wanted "American Cheese" or Mozzarella on her omelette.

I asked what's "American Cheese" and she said something to the effect that it's the 'orange kind'.

Knowing SWMBO doesn't particularly like Mozzarella I said, "If it comes in a jar or individually wrapped in plastic she won't wont it, if it comes in blocks she'll have the orange kind".

Vince Brennan
09-27-2012, 06:06 PM
The last time I was in Montreal I was delighted by the variety and quality of the cheeses available in even the common shops. There was a Bleu which would have made Societé Bee go screaming to file a lawsuit!

Canada having to IMPORT US cheese?

NO WHEY!

B_B
09-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Continental United States. :p
And southern Canada. Cost of a 2L box in Nunavut has been known to exceed $14.00.

Flying Orca
09-28-2012, 01:32 PM
And southern Canada. Cost of a 2L box in Nunavut has been known to exceed $14.00.

I managed a grocery store in Nunavut for a little while in the 80s and I vividly recall pricing an individual red pepper at $16 and change. Air freight ain't cheap.

goodbasil
09-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Last year in Nunavut a litre of milk was $9 in the summer when it has to be flown in because the highway has thawed. (The road is simply on the frozen sea ice.) About $6.50 in the winter when it is trucked in.

The pizza was a greek invention.

Dairy products are much cheaper stateside. So we go down and buy cheese & milk by the van load.
Why do you think that Americans along the boarder refer to us as "cheeseheads?"

Many beleive that Montreal has the best bagels in the world.