PDA

View Full Version : "...the blade is pretty sharp only with very very small knicks..."

orbb
09-25-2012, 01:51 PM
I just impulse purchased a Bailey No. 4. plane from eBay. I have a cheap Stanley from Lowes and an older No. 6, so I wanted something heftier in the intermediate range.

The ebay ed said "the blade is pretty sharp only with very very small knicks". I got the plane yesterday and tried it out, then took it apart to put an edge on the blade. This is what it looks like:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/orbb2/244E6DBA-AC3B-4099-A475-66BF40745500-932-000003C731F3EA5C.jpg

I couldn't see any "very very small knicks" because there was hardly any blade left.

I think this is what it is supposed to look like.

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/Products/200/04B21.jpg

There appears to be 1 1/2 inches missing. I guess the plane was "well used".

So, $40 for a new blade and I should be good to go. Sigh.

Draketail
09-25-2012, 02:27 PM
I'd say the previous owner got absolutely all of the "goody" out of that one.

David G
09-25-2012, 02:46 PM
I'd start shopping for a replacement blade. Maybe an upgrade from Hock or Veritas.

orbb
09-25-2012, 02:56 PM
I'd start shopping for a replacement blade. Maybe an upgrade from Hock or Veritas.

I put a Hock in my No. 6 and it seems to go well. I will get one of those.

boattruck
09-25-2012, 08:12 PM
stick a fork in it, it is DUN...good news is that replacement/upgrade irons are readly available... Cheers, Steve/BT

thedutchtouch
09-25-2012, 11:02 PM
wow now thats a well used blade. in the future you can judge blade life by how much sticks out the top of the plane...

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-25-2012, 11:24 PM
That sucks. The seller should have mentioned that in the description.

orbb
09-26-2012, 07:14 AM
wow now thats a well used blade. in the future you can judge blade life by how much sticks out the top of the plane...

I figured that out pretty quickly, but after the fact. Live and learn.

Kudzu
09-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Most sellers have no clue! But that is the worst I have ever seen.

I buy off EBay sometimes and don't fault anyone for that, but I usually just call Walt at Brass City Records (Google him up). He is a top notch tool dealer, fair prices and I have never been disappointed. Plus, he says if it you don't like it, send it back.

Paul Pless
09-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Most sellers have no clue! But that is the worst I have ever seen.Sometimes from the ebay photos its hard to tell what kind of shape the mouth is in, or if the sides are cracked on many planes. . .

PeterSibley
09-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Even though it was a pain for you it's something of a pleasure to see a handtool blade used to such and extent! Quite amazing really !

wizbang 13
09-26-2012, 08:37 AM
I have chainsaw blades that are filed down that far!

PeterSibley
09-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Yep, me too, old chains hanging everywhere but that blade was worn down by hand !

Mrleft8
09-26-2012, 09:13 AM
A real boat builder wouldn't waste money on buying a new iron.... There's plenty of life left in that one if you just take an old leaf spring off a 1954 GMC 1/2 ton pick up, grind the rust pits out, weld it to the remaining part of plane iron, hand file the weld until it's smooth, reshape the bevel, and polish it to a mirror shine, and then retemper the steel to Rc68-72..... Now you'll need to reflatten, and polish it again..... But it's a lot less expensive than buying a new iron, and the plane will still be "original".... :D

John Meachen
09-26-2012, 05:38 PM
I think I would make a great effort to leave accurate feedback with ebay.I would also investigate the price of a genuine Stanley iron-$40 looks steep and I have no idea what a Hock replacement would be.A couple of years ago I bought a not particularly new Stanley No 4 for 8.50 to act as a parts donor for my long term No 4 which had suffered a crack to its body following a drop from a benchtop to a concrete floor and it was in much better shape as far as the amount of usable iron was concerned.As it is sentiment has kept the cracked plane in daily use and the spare remains available.

orbb
09-26-2012, 11:08 PM
There's plenty of life left in that one if you just take an old leaf spring off a 1954 GMC 1/2 ton pick up, grind the rust pits out, weld it to the remaining part of plane iron, hand file the weld until it's smooth, reshape the bevel, and polish it to a mirror shine, and then retemper the steel to Rc68-72..

I would do this, but if I bought a 1954 GMC 1/2 ton pickup, the leaf springs would already be worn down or missing.

I think I would make a great effort to leave accurate feedback with ebay.

I think I will send an email first. I think the seller is strictly a seller and not a woodworker, who didn't know what he was selling. Hell, I didn't really know what I was buying. I am going to let him know that there was no useable blade left and see how he reacts.

boattruck
09-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Orbb, My advise is to move towards the future, you are likely going to live long enough to buy and sell lots of tools, some deals are better than others, you bought a used tool that needs work, I have spent a striking number of hours repairing/ rebuilding old tools, this one needs a new iron and then will serve well past your or my expected lifespan...was it your best deal, maybe not, a conspiracy to defraud you? I don't think so...Fix it, move on, live a full happy life...Cheers, Steve/BT

Mrleft8
09-27-2012, 08:33 AM
IMHOP, you weren't really buying the blade (Iron), you were buying the plane. This is kind of like buying a used car, and then complaining (Or noting, perhaps) that the gas tank was nearly empty..... The blade is disposable, made to be replaced, that's why they sell new ones.
You can but an inexpensive replacement blade, or you can pay huge sums for cryogenically hardened A-2 Damascus steel blades made by hand by an elderly, one eyed, Japanese master, who only makes 4 a year, but they are really good...... Are you worthy? ;)