PDA

View Full Version : Garage doors

Rum_Pirate
09-25-2012, 10:14 AM
My garage doors are in a 12'0" wide opening x 8'0" high (arched) overall.

I had 1"x6" tongued and grooved pitch pine with 1"x6" pitch pine framing on the inside, but these doors are rotting at the base and have also warped(major).

Suggestions for materials (greenheart, purple heart, cedar, white pine (carp) etc?) for constructing a set of double leafed doors.

Paul Pless
09-25-2012, 10:16 AM
beware, there's an unwritten rule of garage doors that within days of installing new doors your wife will drive through them. . .

Mrleft8
09-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Spanish Cedar, or Cyp (It's called "Cyp" in TNT, and Grenada, but I'm guessing it's a Cypress of some form....) should be pretty available down there.... One thing to try to do is make sure that all of your lumber is free of contact with the concrete/ground. Any contact will wick moisture up, and promote decay. Simple blocks made of aluminum square channel will be fine for bearing on.

Paul Pless
09-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Any contact will wick moisture up, and promote decay. Seems like a good application for CPES.

What about Ipe as a species choice?

Mrleft8
09-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Seems like a good application for CPES.

What about Ipe as a species choice?

Sounds like you should stick to dog kennels, Slim! :D
(Ipe isn't a species.)

Paul Pless
09-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Sounds like you should stick to dog kennels, Slim! :D
(Ipe isn't a species.)

You learned me something there. . .

Ipe does seem to be gaining ground in the U.S. for use in areas where rot is prone, like outdoor decking. I'm pretty sure I've read in WoodenBoat Magazine about it being used in boats. So you think it would be a bad choice? And you also think CPES would be a bad choice for priming such a gate?

Mrleft8
09-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Ipe is awful heavy for a large set of doors..... CPES I have very little experience with, so can't really comment on it's suitability, with any sort of confidence.
Spanish Cedar is light, and fairly rot resistant. Hell..... There's plantation Teak grown in the Caribbean that would probably be fine for garage doors, if you had the inclination.....