PDA

View Full Version : Stoves and ovens?

Wavewacker
09-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Question for all you salty types, why can't you have a gambled platform, container, bucket, whatever and use a backpacking stove, perhaps several smaller stoves. Ultra light weight, dependable, safe and hot enough to cook anything, cheap too????

Has anyone adapted one of these light weights for their boat?

kc8pql
09-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Yes, it's been done. Google Sea Swing Stove for a single burner model that's been around for decades.
This thread may give you some ideas too: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?69876-Sea-Swing-Optimus-Stove

wizbang 13
09-17-2012, 10:06 AM
re filling a teeny stove underway/ at sea, is the only down side I can think of . Mini backpack stoves carry a minimum bit of fuel .
Maybe plain ol durability.

Wavewacker
09-17-2012, 01:52 PM
I didn't mention the type and should have, propane, a larger tank with a manifold and hose connection. And sorry, not really going to be "at sea" cooking, rivers. lakes and maybe the ICW which would be rough, but doable. Sterno used as well if secured just to heat something up. The boat would be under 20'.

An oven box goes over the stove. I'd also have a small grill. :)

Thanks for the link!

Bob Cleek
09-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Propane is heavier than air and collects in the bilge, then, KA-BOOM. Propane stoves require a whole complex system of overboard vented tank storage lockers, meticulous checking for line leaks, and an electronic "sniffer" alarm to warn of any fumes aboard. Think about how often you are really going to use a stove and then decide.

Wavewacker
09-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks Bob, very good point, I don't like KaaBooms. In another thread I'm thinking of a small cat, the tank would be outside the cabin with a short run through the wall to the stove mounted just inside. I have a small bathroom heater with a through wall vent, auto shutoffs, etc. I was thinking of using as well close to the stove. That's why I was leaning toward propane, but if there are issues, please point me in the right direction.... :)

outofthenorm
09-17-2012, 03:39 PM
A word of caution about Sterno. After a short while of use, the whole can of stuff liquifies and is very easily spilled. I wouldn't use one on a moving vessel. DAMHIKT.

- Norm

rbgarr
09-17-2012, 05:01 PM
You can carry a 20 lb. or so propane tank on deck where any stray fumes would drop overboard and then fill small canisters from it to fit camp stoves. A tiny bit safer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230816025641?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

SMARTINSEN
09-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Is James McMullen's project still up? He took it down, for some reason, I think, and I do not know if he ever put it back up. It was a very nifty project very much along the lines that you suggest, Wavewacker.

Jay Greer
09-17-2012, 06:12 PM
I prefer CNG and that is what is going into our H28 "Bright Star". The Europeon Force Ten Stove has an oven and will fit in the galley better than a solid fuel stove will. Even so, we are also putting in a solid fuel heater, a Fatsco.
Jay

Wavewacker
09-18-2012, 04:20 AM
Outofthenorm, I forgot about that, I used the stuff in the Army and yes, having napam rolling around on the floor would make for a bad day!

Smartinsen, what was the project and how would I find it?

Good point on the refills!

My little craft would be a minimalist, camping, probably have a coleman on there as well outside, but I eat on cold rainy days too, so the galley will probably be like a kitchen box and an ice chest, other food could be stored below, a small oven for toasting, no cakes....lol.

Cooking for two on one burner can take awile, by the time the beans are hot, the meat is cold.

Here in my area, SW Missouri, I go boating all year, use to have a ritual of being out on the lake on New Years day, there was no traffic!

Soundman67
09-18-2012, 10:09 PM
nothing wrong with one of those canning style propane cooktops with 2 burners but mounted on a gimbal outside of the cabin. you can bring it in when you are done cooking. Having a small butane single burner for rainy days doesnt take up much extra space.

Seneca
09-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Trouble with CNG is that it can be hard to find; also it is far higher pressure than propane, which, while lighter than air can be an issue if the tank is punctured. Hamilton has a nifty butane stove (single cannister) that I was thinking of getting. Much the same, albeit stainless, that chefs use to prepare omlets at tableside and things like that.

Windsong
09-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Iwatani 15,000btu portable butane stove this portable butane stove has a total power output of 15,000 btu per hour and a max duration of 55 minutes at full power. its heat panel and brass burner head let it operate efficiently, while the magnetic locking system and double windshield provide extra safety. heat panel brass burner head magnetic locking system double windshield csa approved for commercial use includes carrying case max pan size: 7-1/2" uses iwatani bu-5 or bu-6 fuel canisters 15,000btu/hour max duration at full power. In boat or on shore Best stove anywhere you need to take a stove. I have 3 of them.
Cheers
Lars