PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 'natural healing'? Have I got a deal for you. 1st, ya need a placenta..

George Jung
09-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Not a lot of science behind it, but lots of folks with personal experience...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120916/LIVEWELL01/709169938/1685#mothers-explore-benefits-of-eating-their-placenta

L
indburg, 31, has rheumatoid arthritis, a chronic inflammatory disorder. After her first two children, she said, she felt achy and sick.
“I had good pregnancies,” she said, “but coming down from the hormones (after delivery), I would feel just terrible.”
She had read that some moms had success with placenta capsules, and she thought they were safe. Her OB couldn't come up with reasons she shouldn't try it.
In most cases, the placenta, an organ that supplies nutrients and oxygen to and removes waste from the developing fetus, is incinerated after delivery.
Sometimes, a family will take the placenta home and plant it with a tree. Occasionally, women will take them home and eat them.
Before you imagine someone eating a raw human organ, know that Lindburg — and some other mothers — actually swallow capsules containing powdered placenta that has been cleaned, steamed, sliced, dehydrated and ground up. Other moms, however, do eat raw placenta. Or cook it. Or blend the placentas into a smoothie.
Disgusted yet? Intrigued?
Advocates of placenta-eating — or placentophagia — say it relieves “baby blues,” boosts moms' energy levels and increases a new mother's milk production. They generally don't claim that it treats physical ailments. And one local doctor — Dr. Carl Smith, professor and chairman of the obstetrics and gynecology department at the University of Nebraska Medical Center — said he doesn't know of any science that would support human consumption of placentas.
But Lindburg felt good....

Mrleft8
09-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Damn..... I knew I shouldn't have left mine with that nice Dr, 51 years ago.......

George Jung
09-16-2012, 05:43 PM
A day late, a dollar short... right?

Ron Williamson
09-16-2012, 06:47 PM
"containing powdered placenta that has been cleaned, steamed, sliced, dehydrated and ground up."

It sounds like there wouldn't be any of the home-cooked placenta goodness,just like mom used to make, left to do much of anything.
R

George Jung
09-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Agreed; though the article talks about some who take it fresh outta the oven (euphemism, btw)

Ron Williamson
09-16-2012, 07:53 PM
IIRC,my sister in law was partial to a small morsel, fresh outta the oven.
The rest got buried in the yard.

BTW,...eww.
R

George Jung
09-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Wonder if that guy with the 'travel around the world, eat anything' schtick has indulged?

Meself, I'm with you. Even talking about it - I need a beer!

seanz
09-16-2012, 08:18 PM
"containing powdered placenta that has been cleaned, steamed, sliced, dehydrated and ground up."

It sounds like there wouldn't be any of the home-cooked placenta goodness,just like mom used to make, left to do much of anything.
R

You're a bad man, Ron.

:D

Ron Williamson
09-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Yes,... I am.
R

Mrleft8
09-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Wonder if that guy with the 'travel around the world, eat anything' schtick has indulged?

Meself, I'm with you. Even talking about it - I need a beer!

Andrew Zimmern....... I think that he has, in fact...... I know that he got a piece of fore skin in some very backwoods village in Cameroon, or Botswana, or Tanzania or one of those countries......
Pretty much the only thing I've seen him either spit out, or gag on was Durian, and "muddy" under cooked (Nearly raw) goat anus......

seanz
09-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Andrew Zimmern....... I think that he has, in fact...... I know that he got a piece of fore skin in some very backwoods village in Cameroon, or Botswana, or Tanzania or one of those countries......
Pretty much the only thing I've seen him either spit out, or gag on was Durian, and "muddy" under cooked (Nearly raw) goat anus......

I knew it wasn't chicken in those nuggets.........

Ron Williamson
09-17-2012, 11:38 AM
If people don't show up to your labour day picnic,this might be the reason.
R

pefjr
09-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Shoot, my in laws get sick when I eat steamed shrimp with the heads still attached. Wait til I tell them this story. Course I will need to time it perfectly , like in the middle of the meal, and add some spice to it too.....hmmm....like sushi style placenta. My DIL is 3 mos almost, I will wait to break this appetizer to her, though she is a food and cheese connoisseur, so may already know about this and planing the feast.

TomF
09-17-2012, 12:50 PM
...just like mom used to make... Yep. That's the point!

TomF
09-17-2012, 12:54 PM
If people don't show up to your labour day picnic,this might be the reason.
RWell, if have a picnic the same day as you go into labour, what do you expect will be on the menu? A person's only got so much prep time...

Ron Williamson
09-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Thank God.
Someone besides seanz understands a twisted sense of humour.
R

Keith Wilson
09-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Hey, fried up with enough onions and garlic, it might not be bad at all . . .