PDA

View Full Version : Why men fail

Kaa
09-12-2012, 01:11 PM
An interesting essay -- http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/opinion/brooks-why-men-fail.html?_r=1&hp

Kaa

Kaa
09-12-2012, 01:34 PM
..but it was without much in the way of supporting evidence.

Conclusions, maybe, but there was a lot of interesting facts cited in this piece.

Kaa

Joe (SoCal)
09-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Josh Haner/The New York Times

watermark, Logo or just plain ol credit ? :D

TomF
09-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Heard part of an interview the other day with the author of the book cited in this story. She said that the image she used throughout the book was "plastic" (i.e. malleable, adaptable) women, but "cardboard" (stiff, inflexible) men. She also said that her 8-year-old son wrote notes to her about what she was writing, calling her a "bully." :)

I think this is suggestive, but not terribly surprising. Feminism has encouraged women to very radically re-imagine their roles to explore much greater participation in "public" life ... and to find creative ways of "breaking in" where they'd been "shut out" before. Men, on the other hand, haven't been anything like encouraged to do such a wholesale re-imagining of their roles in the world. While there's certainly more emphasis on "involved parenting," they pretty much were expected to stay in the public sphere, period. And lots of men were fairly "involved fathers" in prior generations anyway; emulating a father or grandfather who actually interacted with his kids/grandkids and loved it ... wasn't a big stretch for many. Many of us here were taught to use tools ... by our dads. In contrast, trading a very traditional woman's home role for careerism is a huge shift.

In addition, women have been told for decades that they have to think past "glass ceilings," to be better at the same work as a man to be as respected. And have been taught thereby that they not only CAN approach things more creatively than the rules suggest ... but they must.

So it's not strange at all that women are being more adaptable - because they've been taught to be more adaptable. And that men are less so ... because it's been reinforced that there's not been the same need.

Ted Hoppe
09-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Some other points data points...

Women raise thier boys to be men; the role models of strong capable women have been reinforced therefore men are more willing to let women be in roles of leadership.

media has had a significant influence in how we look at women. women are constantly portrayed as competent and men are often loafs or incompetents.

Educational tools and systems have be changed to better suit female learning patterns - girls and women are benefiting from the differences which enable more of them to enter better higher educational opportunities.

Most significantly, the work being done is more detail oriented with the need to be repetitively reproduced identically - skills which women outshine men consistantly.

Kaa
09-12-2012, 02:32 PM
watermark, Logo or just plain ol credit ? :D

Obsessed much? :-D

Kaa

Boston
09-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Well that was a really interesting read, thanks.

From personal experience, I'd be tempted to agree. During the downturn my income plummeted and struggle as I might nothing seemed to help. But my roomy, spectacular tall blue haired beauty, did just fine. She's been at the same job for about 10+ years now and even got promoted while at the same time I was starving. Now I do pretty much exactly what I did before, but maybe not for long. I build custom windows for historical restorations. Totally living from job to job and although I've got about a years worth of work lined up, it all could be out the window ( so to speak ) in a heartbeat.

I've struggled to branch out, I've tried to do other projects as well but no go.

I can see a lot of myself in that article and I'd just have to give it a two thumbs up for pretty much hitting the nail on the head. Hopefully I can incorporate some of that insite into my next attempt to expand the business.