PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who believe it is futile to fight city hall....

Tom Montgomery
09-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Today I totally unexpectantly received a check in the amount of $279.51 from Ford Motor Company.

Enclosed was a letter stating:

"Dear Sir/Madam:

Because you received one or more up-front signing bonuses paid by Ford Motor Company ("Ford") upon ratification of collective bargaining agreements between Ford and various unions in 1996, 1999, and/or 2003, you are eligible to participate in a settlement between Ford and the United States concerning Social Security and Medicare (FICA) taxes withheld from those payments. This letter provides information about the settlement and the action you must take to participate in the settlement.

Acting on its own behalf as well as for your benefit, Ford sued the United States for refunds of FICA taxes withheld from signing bonuses described above. Ford claimed in the lawsuit that the signing bonuses were not "wages" subject to FICA taxes, and the United States claimed those payments were "wages" subject to FICA taxes. Ford and the United States have agreed to settle the lawsuit for an amount equal to 35% of the FICA taxes claimed in the lawsuit, plus interest. Based on their evaluation of the facts and law and risks of litigation if the lawsuit were to continue, Ford and the United States determined that this settlement is fair and reasonable.

To elect to participate in the settlement, all you need to do is cash the enclosed check before October 30, 2012."

It goes on, but basically if I do not cash the check I stand virtually no chance of collecting any money whatsoever in a separate lawsuit.

Can you say, "FOUND MONEY?"

Paul Pless
09-05-2012, 04:00 PM
To elect to participate in the settlement, all you need to do is cash the enclosed check before october 30, 2012.

:D iii

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
09-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Take the money and run Tom.

TomF
09-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Didn't you say once that there's a Vivier boat you want to build? Maybe that'll defray the plans a bit. :D

Old Dryfoot
09-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Before you deposit it, check for a Nigerian post mark! ;)

Tom Montgomery
09-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Didn't you say once that there's a Vivier boat you want to build? Maybe that'll defray the plans a bit. :D
I purchased the plans this past winter. ;)

I'll probably spend more money in the WB Store.

*sigh*

They've absorbed much of my discretionary income over the years....

Phillip Allen
09-05-2012, 07:23 PM
if I read it right, the government got to keep about $600 of your money (aprox $900) as payment for their crime...

Tom Montgomery
09-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Crime???

You are freaking delusional, Phillip Allen.

I am quite happy to pay my fair share of the FICA tax.

You are a very strange character.

Phillip Allen
09-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Crime???

You are freaking delusional, Phillip Allen.

I am quite happy to pay my fair share of the FICA tax.

You are a very strange character.

confiscating money without legal sanction is a crime... AND it has nothing... NOTHING to do with fair share... (if was against the law, dufus, then it cannot have been fair share... by definition)

Tom Montgomery
09-05-2012, 09:39 PM
confiscating money without legal sanction is a crime... AND it has nothing... NOTHING to do with fair share... (if was against the law, dufus, then it cannot have been fair share... by definition)
You are a strange, strange bird. :rolleyes:

Go back and read Post #6. I'm pretty sure Norman had you in mind.