PDA

View Full Version : food isn't my big expense so I don't pay a lot of attention to prices

Phillip Allen
09-01-2012, 11:27 AM
last night I decided to do a really big roast and freeze some of it so I bought a great big eye of round... $22!

Bobby of Tulsa
09-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Phillip, you will get a big shock if ya start lookin a meat prices. I would think in your area chicken would be a good value. Not chicken wings, like baby back ribs they are worth more than gold.:)

Gerarddm
09-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Food prices are definitely going to go higher because of the drought.

John Smith
09-01-2012, 12:22 PM
I fear this is the new normal.

Waddie
09-01-2012, 09:07 PM
When the government figures inflation they'll just assume you're now eating chicken instead of steak, and if you can't afford chicken you'll be eating cat food. They will also figure that you're eating lots more beans...... that's how inflation is computed.

regards,
Waddie

Plumbtex
09-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I've found that the small local meat markets usually have much better prices, especially those catering to the hispanic population. It helps to know what to ask for in Spanish but pointing and nodding will usually get you by.

Shang
09-02-2012, 08:15 AM
I have some bad news and some good news...

The bad news:
The day is coming when most people will have to become vegetarian.
(Out there somewhere guys are saying, "They'll have to take my porkchop out of my cold dead hand!") But it is going to happen. Meat will become too expensive for most people to buy. As a preview: This year the farmer down the road has had to sell off half of his Black Angus, his pasture is burned brown by the summer heat, he's feeding baled hay that normally would have been fed in the winter. The corn and soy bean crop was also blitzed, and that was being raised for cattle feed. And this year's heat wave isn't over yet. Neither are hard economic times, we're just seeing the beginning.

The good news:
Eating vegetarian is better than you think, and it's a lot less expensive than a meat-centric diet.

Hwyl
09-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Aren't you on a diet Philip?

Phillip Allen
09-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Aren't you on a diet Philip?

just being careful of my sugar and fat intake

hanleyclifford
09-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I read that meat is implicated in prostate cancer.

Phillip Allen
09-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I read that meat is implicated in prostate cancer.

so are a** h***s :)

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

hanleyclifford
09-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Phillip, you will get a big shock if ya start lookin a meat prices. I would think in your area chicken would be a good value. Not chicken wings, like baby back ribs they are worth more than gold.:)

so are a** h***s :)

(sorry, couldn't help myself) I think you've got that mixed up with colon cancer.

Phillip Allen
09-02-2012, 11:23 AM
I think you've got that mixed up with colon cancer.

close enough... :)