PDA

View Full Version : Run Paul run! (Paul Ryan is a liar)

Shang
09-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Last week, in an interview with Hugh Hewitt, Paul Ryan said that he had run a marathon in under three hours, or, more precisely, “I had a two hour and fifty-something.” That is quite speedy, and running fans in the forums of Letsrun.com treated the claim with great skepticism. The Internet bears no trace of the run, and Ryan doesn’t have the extremely lean frame of your typical fast marathoner. Also, people who run that quickly are generally neurotic about their times. Shouldn’t Ryan remember his exactly? “He is too intense and driven to just forget something like that,” one commentator wrote.

Slate and Runner’s World investigated. Questions were raised, given the criticism of Ryan’s honesty in his convention speech. This evening, the terrific running journalist Scott Douglas figured out that Ryan had actually run a 4:01 in the Grandma’s Marathon in Duluth, Minnesota, in 1990, when he was a college student. This is not quite so fast. A 2:55 would have put Ryan in a hundred and thirtieth place, out of the thirty-two hundred and seventy-seven men in that race. A 4:01 put him in nineteen hundred and ninetieth place. It’s the difference between racing and running.

I contacted the campaign this evening about the discrepancy. Ryan, through a spokesman, responded that he’d just mixed things up: “The race was more than 20 years ago, but my brother Tobin—who ran Boston last year—reminds me that he is the owner of the fastest marathon in the family and has never himself ran a sub-three. If I were to do any rounding, it would certainly be to four hours, not three. He gave me a good ribbing over this at dinner tonight.”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/08/paul-ryan-marathon.html#ixzz25E2Hp7Dw

RodSBT
09-01-2012, 09:05 AM
So what? Obama wrote a hole book of lies.

Shang
09-01-2012, 09:19 AM

A "hole" book?

Rum_Pirate
09-01-2012, 09:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Pbc8SQwV8

RodSBT
09-01-2012, 09:38 AM
A "hole" book?

Got me. Ah....whole.:(

Keith Wilson
09-01-2012, 09:46 AM
I'd bet a fair amount you haven't read either of Obama's books.

I'd give Ryan a pass on this one. The race was a long time ago, and everybody screws up and says something dumb now and then. Fortunately for us, most of us don't have microphones around when we do. There's no shortage off perfectly legitimate things to criticize him for.

Shang
09-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Presumably you weren't referring to Of Thee I Sing: A Letter To My Daughters, so you must have meant Dreams From My Father.

Okay now, one hundred percent honesty, Rod: Have you read Dreams From My Father?

Horace
09-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Keith, your original (pre-edited) post, IIRC, bet that most members here had not read the current President's books.

I had originally intended to sit out the 2008 election, the first time such a thought ever had been a serious consideration for me. My October reading of Audacity and Dreams was enough to convince me that the thoroughly unappealing McCain was far and away the lesser of two evils.

As is, likewise, the nearly as unappealing Mitt Romney.

Gerarddm
09-01-2012, 10:38 AM
No more egregious than Hillary 'landing under sniper fire'.

That said, he IS a liar on more important stuff, and so is Romney. Not just my opinion, either.

Keith Wilson
09-01-2012, 10:50 AM
My October reading of Audacity andDreams was enough to convince me that the thoroughly unappealing McCain was far and away the lesser of two evils.Well, YMMV, as they say. I read both, and came to a quite different conclusion. Dreams From My Father was IMHO very good, the other OK but not brilliant. But I was just talking about Rod; I'd be extremely surprised if he's ever read either.

RodSBT
09-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Obama is no different.

Keith Wilson
09-01-2012, 11:05 AM
From Paul Ryan? Well, they both have a Y chromosome, and are members of the same species. However, what they say they'd do in a position of power is - or rather what Obama has actually done and what Ryan says he'd like to do are, by almost any standard, quite different.

Gerarddm
09-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Tell me, Rod: look out your window. See those waving things sticking out of the ground? They are trees, yes? Are they green? What, not even close, you say? Then you must live on some other planet.

Shang
09-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Obama is no different.

You don't seem to have been paying attention.

McMike
09-01-2012, 11:55 AM

I'd give Ryan a pass on this one. The race was a long time ago, and everybody screws up and says something dumb now and then. Fortunately for us, most of us don't have microphones around when we do. There's no shortage off perfectly legitimate things to criticize him for.

+1.

Boater14
09-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Keith, no way anyone makes that kind of mistake on a marathon time. Sub three hours is something to Bragg about. Over four they're packing up the place. 35 years ago and I remember my first 10k....a non braggable 42:43. No big deal but you wonder about lying about stuff, the date of a plant closing, that is so easily checked. But then he was just 15 when his father died of a heart attack........just like me......vote for me.

RodSBT
09-01-2012, 12:34 PM
The chume gang interceptor and his composite girl friend.

John Smith
09-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Unless something more comes out, I'll give him a pass, too, along with our friend who put "hole" in by mistake.

My reservation with Ryan is that we may find he never ran a marathon. I was always disturbed by Bush lying about the origin of the "Mission Accomplished" banner.

Shang
09-01-2012, 01:15 PM
A "hole" book?

That was intended to be amusing.
Like Mitt Romney I live for laughter.

RodSBT
09-01-2012, 01:46 PM
This thread takes eddie munster to task for supposedly lying about a marathon time and yet you let the chumer in chief slide when it comes to real problems like fast and furious, fed deficit, high unemployment, supporting present wars and starting new ones.

But yeah, that marathon time,
Dammmit, hang da bastid!

You guys must be very desperate to continually show your cards like this.

Boater14
09-01-2012, 02:44 PM
So, if you bought a boat and the guy who sold it lied out be pissed but a guy who's running for vice prez can lie is head off? Obamas medicare cuts, auto plant closing, marathon time. You guys get what you deserve.

RodSBT
09-01-2012, 02:51 PM
So, if you bought a boat and the guy who sold it lied out be pissed but a guy who's running for vice prez can lie is head off? Obamas medicare cuts, auto plant closing, marathon time. You guys get what you deserve.

This makes no sense...

Boater14
09-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Is it the typos or the ironic concept? This being a boat website I'm making the point that if you posted that you bought a boat and taken the sellers word that the head flushed and it didn't, you'd be pissed and some here would agree what a low down liar the seller was. But, a candidate for vp shapes up to be a liar on things big and small and it's fine as wine.....no problem. Even without typos, your reasoning mystifies me. What would Ryan have to do for you to become concerned? Nothing, thought so.

SBrookman
09-02-2012, 12:18 AM
He shouldn't be given a pass on this. Anyone who has run a marathon, and I've done 21 in the past 10 years, knows his times. When you spend months training and hours running you don't accidentally subtract an hour from your finishing time. A 4 hr + marathon is average, and at the age he ran it, not really. A sub 3 (his 2:50 something) is getting pretty elite. It's like saying you were an A honor student, when really you were a C-. What really bothers me is that he would say something like that when, first it's so wrong and secondly it can be so easily verified. I can give him a pass on some of his political speech untruths but this shows that he has a real problem with being truthful.

Boater14
09-02-2012, 01:38 PM
You know, I think I can get with the majority on this. Lying is OK. now, how about texting an underage congressional page about the color of his boxers? Am I am old fart on this issue to? Just tring to keep up with the times.

Waddie
09-02-2012, 03:25 PM
I am shocked that someone remembers their performance 20 years ago as better than it was.... And shocked that a politician would stretch the truth. Something Democrats NEVER do....

What's the biggest fish you ever caught ??? :)

regards,
Waddie

Keith Wilson
09-02-2012, 03:49 PM
What's the biggest fish you ever caught ??? :) :d

http://s3.amazonaws.com/picable/2009/05/25/982973_Biggest-Fish_400.jpg

Cuyahoga Chuck
09-02-2012, 05:00 PM
When I was 48 years old I ran the Columbus marathon in 3 hr. 35 min. That year I ran 1500 miles which included six 20 mile runs on the 6 Sundays prior mto the marathon. I can assure you that anyone who gets under 3:0 in a marathon has special talent and has spent considerable time running a six days a week program
I ran Columbus the following year and had to settle for 4:10 because the temperature got up to 85 degrees and I had to walk a lot of miles. So many folks collapsed they ran out of ambulances.
Lance Armstrong tried to break 3 hours in a marathon and even with professional help he came up about 5 minutes short.
Paul Ryan is another Rosie Ruiz.

Tom Montgomery
09-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Real marathoners remember their performances.

Bob Myers
09-02-2012, 05:49 PM
I ran my first marathon over 40 years ago and still remember my time from it. I ran 25 marathons and gave up running, due to a knee problem when I was 43 and switched to a bike. I can remember the times to all of them, but maybe not to the seconds.

McMike
09-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Who cares?!!!

Rompaul will cut the budget on everything but defense. Is that the statement of men who are looking for smaller government? Is that the statement of problem solvers, consensuses builders?

For crying out loud, you guys will argue over anything.

Waddie
09-02-2012, 08:45 PM
:d

http://s3.amazonaws.com/picable/2009/05/25/982973_Biggest-Fish_400.jpg

Obviously no exaggeration there!!! Pictures can't lie !! Besides, if it's on the internet it must be true !! :)

regards,
Waddie