PDA

View Full Version : Any one know of the A.R.True Boat Co.?

JMAC
12-03-2000, 07:14 PM
I've just picked up a free 1957 A.R.True Rocket and am on a mission to find out all about it, what can you tell me?

JimConlin
12-03-2000, 11:40 PM
Somewhere around Newburyport, MA, if memory serves.

Dave Carnell
12-04-2000, 06:46 AM
A.R. True was at Amesbury, MA. They were building pre WW II and after. Around the mid-50s I owned a used ROCKET (23', 4-cyl Universal, sloop). It wasn't a rocket.

If you want to find more I suggest looking in Readers' Periodical Guide from about 1935 to 1955 for articles. If you find some your library's Inter-Library Loan service can probably get them for you if they don't have the periodicals themselves.

Lou Carreras
12-19-2000, 09:25 PM
Some of the True family are still around in Newbury. You might try contacting Ralph Johnson of Pert Lowell, inc. in Newbury. I think Ralph is friendly with them.

Nora Lee
04-28-2001, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by JMAC:
I've just picked up a free 1957 A.R.True Rocket and am on a mission to find out all about it, what can you tell me?We have a True Rocket that needs a good home and lots of work, she has a builder plate that sez it was built in Adams, Mass

Seth Wood
04-30-2001, 07:19 AM
I found a free A.R. True Rocket about 10 years ago in good condition. Cedar on oak, if I remember. Interestingly, the centerboard had been replaced with a lead keel with stubby "wings." 4' draft but more room inside. And gorgeous mahogany cabinsides. A nice boat to spend a few summers working on and sailing.

Sorry, I don't have more info on the True company...mostly posted to reminisce.

[This message has been edited by Seth Wood (edited 05-01-2001).]

Pat Lown
05-01-2001, 12:36 PM
Seth--would you please email me re: Dark Star's listing in The Register of Wooden Boats?

JMAC--we have a little bit of info here in the library at WoodenBoat. Please email me your postal address and I'll pull some of it together for you.

pat@woodenboat.com